Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jimkelly02

Offseason Contract Restructures: Joyner

Recommended Posts

LaMarcus Joyner signed a 4yr, 42.0m contract in March 2019 that included 16.7m guaranteed at signing (‘19 base salary, ‘19 roster bonus, and ‘20 roster bonus).  There was no dead cap after the second year of the deal.  In the last few days, Joyner restructured his contract and in doing so reduced his 2020 cap hit from $12.95m to $9.2m.


Joyner was originally slated for a $4.6m base salary along with the $8.0m roster bonus, that became guaranteed during the ‘19 season, and a $.35m workout bonus.  This resulted in a cap hit of $12.95m.

 

Joyner’s deal was restructured by reducing the signing bonus from $8.0m to $3.0m while adding a $5.0m signing bonus.  It appears since the restructure was done before the new league year the $5.0m signing bonus will prorate out $1.25m over all 4 years of the deal, including ‘19.  

 

The new cap hit for ‘20 is comprised of $4.6m salary, $3.0m roster bonus, $0.35m work our bonus, and $1.25m proration of signing bonus.  

 

In the end, Joyner’s deal doesn’t reduce the amount of money he makes but reduced his ‘20 cap by $3.75m.  I believe the net cap savings for ‘20 will be $2.5m because the additional $1.25m the new signing bonus added to the ‘19 cap will lower the amount of cap carryover.

The other effect is Joyner will carry dead cap hits of $2.5m in ‘21 and $1.25m in ‘22.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nice hopefully he has a bounce back year. Maybe Gabe and a Whitehead restructure their deals 

Yeah, I think a move back to FS will work out.  It allows Abram to play more SS (yes I know we play halves and their is so true ss/fs... but it will still allow Abram to play closer to the LOS more often).  

I’d love to restructure Whitehead but it’s unlikely.  He’s in the last year or the deal so there’s no ability to turn salary or roster bonus into signing bonus.  It’d have to be a straight pay cut.  Whitehead’s $5.95M salary isn’t above average starting LB pay so it seems like it’ll either be a straight release or keep him at his pay rate.  We also don’t have much leverage because we have no up-and-coming LB who we’d prefer to replace him with.  Also, any LB comparable to Whitehead will cost just as much if not more in FA.  I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but I think Whitehead can be a relatively effective MLB or WILL.  He just isn’t a good SAM in the changing todays’s NFL where SAM’s are forced to flex out and cover such athletic TEs.  He‘ s a Run stuffer who can probably get by covering RBs in the flat, but not on actual down field routes, and dropping in zone coverage.  We simply cannot have him covering slot WRs or TEs.

Jackson’s situation is much different.  He has a salary above his play’s worth over the last 1.5yrs, plus often injuried, has no guaranteed money/dead cap, and has 3 more years on his deal.  We could go thru training camp and then cut him for a nearly equal Good and save his 9.35m salary and only have his .25m workout bonus on the cap.  He’d be lucky to get 4-5m from a team at that point.  This, he may be willing to take less money that’s guaranteed.  I think a good compromise would be to change his 9.35m salary into:

1) Take pay cut: 1.0m guaranteed base salary with 5.0m roster bonus near immediately (in think theirs a 3-5 day gap from signing the deal to getting the roster bonus, otherwise it’s a signing bonus.... we made this mistake when signing Austin Howard) .  This lowers the cap 3.35m.

2) No pay cut: 1.35m base salary and 8.0m signing bonus over remaining 3 years.  Lowers cap to 4.01m (plus .25work out bonus), saving 5.333m but gives 2.666 dead cap in ‘21 and 1.333m dead cap in ‘22.

*Technically, we could even add 2 void years to the deal (but I’m also thinking the lack of a CBA after this year might not allow this anymore...I’d have to look into it) and then spread the signing bonus over 5 years not 3.  This would reduce his cap to 2.95m (plus work our bonus) but there would be 6.4m of dead if released in ‘21.  Even if he plays out the remaining 3 years, There would be 1.6m in dead cap in each remaining void year.  We’re obviously not this desperate for cap space to have to sacrifice future cap space.

Personally, I Think option #1 of taking a pay cut for guaranteed cash is more likely and is also the best option for both parties.  Jackson had a salary and Workout bonus of 7.000m last year.  Thus, him pulling in 6.250m in cash this year is only a minute reduction in cash in his bank account.  

Nonetheless, I think come draft time it’s time to spend a 3rd or 4th on Jackson’s eventually replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

LaMarcus Joyner signed a 4yr, 42.0m contract in March 2019 that included 16.7m guaranteed at signing (‘19 base salary, ‘19 roster bonus, and ‘20 roster bonus).  There was no dead cap after the second year of the deal.  In the last few days, Joyner restructured his contract and in doing so reduced his 2020 cap hit from $12.95m to $9.2m.


Joyner was originally slated for a $4.6m base salary along with the $8.0m roster bonus, that became guaranteed during the ‘19 season, and a $.35m workout bonus.  This resulted in a cap hit of $12.95m.

 

Joyner’s deal was restructured by reducing the signing bonus from $8.0m to $3.0m while adding a $5.0m signing bonus.  It appears since the restructure was done before the new league year the $5.0m signing bonus will prorate out $1.25m over all 4 years of the deal, including ‘19.  

 

The new cap hit for ‘20 is comprised of $4.6m salary, $3.0m roster bonus, $0.35m work our bonus, and $1.25m proration of signing bonus.  

 

In the end, Joyner’s deal doesn’t reduce the amount of money he makes but reduced his ‘20 cap by $3.75m.  I believe the net cap savings for ‘20 will be $2.5m because the additional $1.25m the new signing bonus added to the ‘19 cap will lower the amount of cap carryover.

The other effect is Joyner will carry dead cap hits of $2.5m in ‘21 and $1.25m in ‘22.

 

 

 

 

Does this make him cheaper to cut? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice, hopefully the plan is to move him back to safety, I don't care how much he restructured, he was stinky in the slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

nice, hopefully the plan is to move him back to safety, I don't care how much he restructured, he was stinky in the slot.

This, but there has been no indication he will move to safety unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is this thread/post about? I haven't seen any news about Joyner restructuring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would he restructure his contract? He has all the power this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Does this make him cheaper to cut? 

I’m not sure if you mean is it cheaper to cut him this offseason or next.

Joyner had a $8m guaranteed roster bonus originally. His base salary was only 4.6m and wasn’t guaranteed.  We weren’t about to cut him and play him $8m to save the $4.6m salary and .35m work our bonus.

The restructure doesn’t make it harder to cut him ever.  He was never going to get cut This year.  The restructure leaves a small dead cap 2.5m in year 3 and 1.25m in year 4.  So he’s easily cut after year 2 but there would be a small dead cap hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Why would he restructure his contract? He has all the power this year. 

He didn’t lose any money.  He moved roster bonus to signing bonus. That means he gets paid quicker.  It also absolutely guarantees he makes the team, although that was never highly questioned due to cap implications of cutting him this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a tip from someone that he was restructuring and waited until Spotrac and OTC changed their pages to reflect it.  Both sites so exactly what I was told.
 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/lamarcus-joyner-14450/

 

https://overthecap.com/player/lamarcus-joyner/2980/

 

This wasn’t that newsworthy of a move, we just played some games to free up some cash.  We did the same thing with Whitehead after his first year.  It’s was at the same time we have Jordy Nelson a several million dollar bonus just to cut soon after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I got a tip from someone that he was restructuring and waited until Spotrac and OTC changed their pages to reflect it.  Both sites so exactly what I was told.
 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/lamarcus-joyner-14450/

 

https://overthecap.com/player/lamarcus-joyner/2980/

 

This wasn’t that newsworthy of a move, we just played some games to free up some cash.  We did the same thing with Whitehead after his first year.  It’s was at the same time we have Jordy Nelson a several million dollar bonus just to cut soon after.

Interesting. I would think it's newsworthy considering he was a cut candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

Interesting. I would think it's newsworthy considering he was a cut candidate.

I think they cut candidate thing was misinformation from Spotrac.  I even sent a few Twitter DMs to the owner and writers of Spotrac and they never got back to be because, I believe, didn’t have the answer/info. They listed his dead cap after year 1 at zero when in reality his ‘20 roster bonus was already guaranteed.  That $8m roster bonus kept him from a serious cut candidate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×