Bears add Demetrius Harris

beardown3231

Harris is a solid blocker who has scheme familiarity with Nagy and has some red zone value. He’s a 1-2 target per game safety valve player in the passing game, and he’s been a durable player (2 missed games total the past 5 seasons). 

This is a Shaheen or Braunecker replacement level move, and I’d guess his salary reasonably aligns with the savings we’d get from cutting either or both of those two ($1.27M for Shaheen and $1.46M for Braunecker). Horsted showed as much or more potential in December than either Shaheen or Braunecker showed in 3 years and costs the league minimum for the next 2-3 seasons. Harris was a reasonably popular choice around here for a TE2/3 role around here last offseason too. 

Burton is on the roster somewhere in 2020 as likely is Harris. Assuming another FA signing or draft pick at the position which is a pretty safe one, keeping Braunecker or Shaheen around to compete for a potential #4 TE role with the likes of Holtz, Horsted and Holtz is unnecessary given their contracts and the nature of the role. Trimming the fat is both prudent and necessary in this case. There’s not even a reason to wait tbh.

Harris is a good start at a position where we always needed to add at least 2 guys. 

• Like 1

I keep seeing that he is a good Y blocker.  He is 6’7 and 229.  I don’t buy it. 

How can he possibly block emlos with those dimensions?  Maybe he blocks 2nd level players okay, I don’t know. 

He is a tall red zone target about it.  

I will keep shouting from rooftops my assessment.  Bears main offensive problem is they lack physicality from frontline players -  O line and TE and (no) FB.  

Yes Trubisky has not been good, but you still have to solve above first.  Brady, Brady!, struggled last year with same problem and had a better defense or a defense that played better anyway.  2019 Brady is 100x better than 2019 MT and Pats offense still struggled because they lacked any kind of physical play from their frontline players last year. 

And Pats were just lacking in physicality.  They weren’t also blowing assignments left and right.  Bears were doing both. 

• Like 1

A good example:

In Denver game Shaheen ran full speed (and was going pretty fast) with all his weight and slammed right into Von Miller square.  

Von Miller didn’t give an inch and run was stuffed because no space.  It was incredible really. 

That is challenge of the Y position.  NFL EMLOS are best athletes on the field in many cases. 

Shaheen could have made that block, I believe, if he used proper tech.  He didn’t  gather his hips, he just slammed into him thinking weight and inertia would be sufficient because physics.  His whole life in 99% of instances that action would have sent a human being flying out of way.  In NFL it doesn’t work that way. 

2019 Bears never did the little things.  On so many plays it was the one guy or sometimes two guys that didn’t do their job.  It blows everything up.  

You should go back and watch the 2019 49ers oline play and juxtaposition it with Bears oline.  

Forget talent difference and just focus on technique and assignment execution.  You don’t have to be talented to have good fundamentals and you don’t have to be talented to do your assignment. 

Embarrassing really.