NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

They should be expanding the playoffs to 16 teams and eliminate the first-round bye completely. In recent years, all Super Bowl participants have had first round byes. By preserving one of them, it's very likely we'll see years of #1 VS. #1 Super Bowls. Expanding the playoffs to 16 teams levels the playing field.

Also, I want the NFL to incorporate the reverse mirror into the next TV contract, entailing markets receiving additional CBS and Fox games via their affiliated cable sports networks, CBS Sports Network and Fox Sports 1. In my plan, the reverse mirror would also be utilized on opening weekend of the playoffs, in the 1 PM slots on both Saturday and Sunday,  with CBS and Fox each getting one reverse mirror slot, alternating which days they have it every year. This ensures that all playoff games are still available nationally without the need to play games on weeknights.

• Like 1

Oh god, no. I just bashed MLB for adding teams and becoming the NBA and praised the NFL, five minutes before these reports came out... 40% or more of teams in the league should not make the playoffs. It completely and utterly devalues the regular season. The playoffs is suppose to be the best of the best. Gross. 

• Like 18

18 minutes ago, pf9 said:

They should be expanding the playoffs to 16 teams and eliminate the first-round bye completely. In recent years, all Super Bowl participants have had first round byes. By preserving one of them, it's very likely we'll see years of #1 VS. #1 Super Bowls.

In theory, isn't that what casual fans and a lot of people want?  The two best teams in the NFL (record wise) playing each other in the SB.

Along with my proposal of 16 teams, I want to strip division winners of seeding priority, meaning they are not guaranteed a top 4 seed. The AFC seeds would not have been affected last year, as Houston, even without the qualifier of being a division winner, would have the #4 seed over Buffalo due to having a better conference record. But the NFC seeds would have been affected. In the NFC, the Rams and Bears would have been the additional playoff teams, but the Eagles would drop to the #7 seed, as Seattle and Minnesota had better records (and would have met in the first round), and the Eagles would have lost a tiebreaker to the Rams, sending them to Green Bay for round one.

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

Along with my proposal of 16 teams, I want to strip division winners of seeding priority, meaning they are not guaranteed a top 4 seed. The AFC seeds would not have been affected last year, as Houston, even without the qualifier of being a division winner, would have the #4 seed over Buffalo due to having a better conference record. But the NFC seeds would have been affected. In the NFC, the Rams and Bears would have been the additional playoff teams, but the Eagles would drop to the #7 seed, as Seattle and Minnesota had better records (and would have met in the first round), and the Eagles would have lost a tiebreaker to the Rams, sending them to Green Bay for round one.

So then what would be the significance of having divisions at all?

• Like 1