NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

NFL Brass: "Let's lessen opportunities for long-shot athletes to play and devalue the regular season more than we already have."

NFLPA: "Cool cool. It gives our starters one more game per year to get injured in, but whatevs. Just throw a little more money at us and we'll call it good."

• Like 1

I don't like it. I don't think a one team bye is fair at all. Schedules aren't even so you may just be rewarding the division winner with the easiest schedule by giving them the easiest playoff schedule.

I say keep it the same.

If you do change, go extreme. 12 teams per conference get in and all division winners get byes. Wildcard round is 8 wildcard teams and the winners then play the divisional champs. One extra week of playoffs instead of the extra regular season game and 16 teams will host a playoff game each year.

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The only plus I'm taking away is that it seems we won't have a lockout.

Everything else is somewhere between meh to yuck.

Yup, glad both sides have cards they are willing to play. Many of which benefit each other.

But not sure about the expansion of the schedule like this. We'll see.

Hopefully we get some of the smaller proposals soon, always interesting what teams put forth.
Here's hoping Lurie & the Eagles float the two helmet rule again and we get throwbacks back. 
Though that will likely come after the CBA is done with the players.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I'd have demanded a 50/50 split or to keep the current allotment but fully guarantee the contracts. 5 billion sounds like a lot until you realize most 9f it still wont get paid put because contracts are still mostly incentive based. 

Guaranteed contracts will never, ever happen. The injury risk is too great. The NFL can barely insure as it is:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25776964/insurance-market-football-evaporating-causing-major-threat-nfl-pop-warner-colleges-espn

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/21/687255649/an-insurance-crisis-is-quietly-growing-for-football-in-america

Edited by DigInBoys
  • Like 1

I get the complaint about 8-8 or losing record teams getting into the playoffs. So they get in and immediatley shown the door the next week, But at the end of the day it's more football, what's to complain about?

And this whole argument about the owners just wanting more money....well yea.....everything is always about the money. Why do you think the players seem to be close to agreeing to it.....the money. They get more of it to. They don't need us feeling sorry for them or taking up for them. They're grown men and know what they're getting in to and signing up for.

I'm ok with the changes. I guess change is hard for some folks.

• Like 1