NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

Really don't care much one way or the other, on this and the 17 game season thing. More football, but not enough to make a huge difference really in a good or bad way. The changes will be completely forgotten before long, and just accepted as how things are. Don't really get the people freaking out about how terrible it is.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Tbh all I get from this is that if the NFL is going to survive much longer we need universal health care in this country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, August4th said:

so the WC weekend last yr would of added Steelers@KC and Rams@packers under this format

KC would slaughtered the steelers, but Rams @ packers might of been interesting

Just in the last 5 years it would've been

2015:  AFC: Jets @ Patriots      NFC: Falcons @ Cardinals

2016: AFC: Broncos @ Chiefs   NFC: Buccaneers @ Falcons

2017: AFC: Ravens @ Steelers  NFC: Seahawks @ Vikings

2018: AFC: Steelers @ Patriots  NFC: Vikings @ Rams

2019: AFC: Steelers @ Chiefs     NFC: Rams @ Packers

Honestly I could see a lot of games going either way. Only ones I see as probable blowouts are 2016 Falcons/Bucs, 2018 Steelers/Patriots and 2019 Steelers/Chiefs.

But that's not even really the bigger issue here.

The bigger issue is that if you are already out of the running for a one seed, but you've clinched a playoff spot, why should you even care really? The Bye is not only the advantage of skipping an elimination game automatically, but getting that extra week of rest and preparation before your first playoff game. Road teams in the divisional round have an absolutely abysmal record - it's basically impossible to make the Super Bowl without one.

But look at the AFC this year - would the Patriots and Chiefs really have anywhere close to as much as an incentive to care about the 2-seed after the Chiefs had the #1 seed locked up after Week 15 basically? Not really. Considering the Patriots lost in the first round anyways the Chiefs would've gotten a home divisional game regardless of being the 3 or 2-seed.

2  teams that get a first round bye means more teams that can be in contention for it late in the season. Going into week 17 this year technically every NFC playoff team but the Eagles had a path to getting a Bye going into that Sunday. If it was in this proposed format only the 49ers, Packers and Saints would've been eligible to get it. (And the Saints would've been an extreme long shot)

1 hour ago, Magnifico said:

One Team Bye is going to skew the advantage to the #1 seed massively imo. Still we'll see where it goes and how it plays out next season.

I don't really think it will help the #1 seed that much more than the current system already does.

The 2 seeds will suffer mightily and the 3-4-5 seeds will probably benefit the most.

Why?

Because they are the teams that can either a) Be hosting a game on divisional weekend now or b) At least possibly not having to play a rested team at home off a Bye in the divisional round.

The 1-seeds will still make the SB more often than not as they already do, but I don't think they are the biggest beneficiary here.

There's a legit (although unlikely) path for a 3-seed or even 4-seed to have all home games in the playoffs. Before they literally had to play 1-road game no matter what.

As it is now the 2-seed makes the Super Bowl about 30% of the time since 2002 and the 3-seed has made the Super Bowl literally twice since then. That gives you an idea of how big a deal the Bye is.

Edited by Bolts223

3 hours ago, showtime said:

In theory, isn't that what casual fans and a lot of people want?  The two best teams in the NFL (record wise) playing each other in the SB.

I mean to be fair - the #1 seed isn't always the best team per say. A lot of the time it'll come down to a tiebreaker or an easier regular season schedule.

3 hours ago, Starless said:

How many good teams have ever actually missed the playoffs as the #7 team in their conference? This is a garbage idea.

I mean there have been plenty of "Good" teams that have missed the playoffs. Good being the operative word.

But certainly no team that I felt was so great that we missed a potential SB run.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

Take this year as an example.  If the Titans had made it to the Superbowl, the game would have most likely been horrendous.  Teams like the Titans is pretty much only fun for hardcore football fans like us.  When talking about the Superbowl, there are millions that watch who aren't hardcore fans and then they see them getting pummeled by the 49ers 40-3, it won't be as fun for them.

I don't think the Titans would've been pummeled by the 9ers, they hold their own against KC for awhile in Arrowhead.

They probably wouldn't have won, but I don't think it would've been 40-3. They literally beat New England and Baltimore on the road.