My First Shot At A Serious Mock--Five Rounds

Just Want A Title

I have been thinking about a realistic scenario for a mock draft that was a little out of the box with the trade-down and with who we would take.  I will make the assumption that Bob Quin will find a way to work the salary cap magic to make it happen.  That said:

Free agents:

Current Lions that we re-sign:

Jeff Driskell--He is a solid #2QB and a better athlete David Blough.  His speed should get him some trick play snaps

Miles Killebrew—He hasn’t been able to see much time on defense but is a special teams demon.  A new defensive coordinator could really help him out. 

Sam Martin—Had a much better 2019 than 2018.  He is a known quantity and is solid.  This should be a no-brainer

Don Mulbach—Still a really good long-snapper.  Another no-brainer

Tavon Wilson—Every team needs a savvy veteran like him

JD McKissick—He is good for one crazy play per game.  He rounds out our cadre of RBs nicely

Dee Virgin—A solid special teamer and decent dime CB.  He still might have some upside

Free Agents We Bring In:

Cory Littleton LB—Our current LBs are terrible at covering LBs and TEs.  He is an awesome coverage LB and good tackler

Quinton Dunbar CB—He is a good CB who is flying under the radar and probably won’t be as expensive as Darius Slay

Javon Hargrave DL—He may not be Chris Jones but he is really good and a really good fit

Joe Thuney OG—The lions aren’t too enthusiastic on re-signing Glasgow so we need a plug and play starter

Trade:

Prior to the draft the Lions trade Darius Slay to the Colts for a 2d round pick, #44

Prior to the draft the Lions trade back with the Jaguars in exchange for Taven Bryan and #20

Draft:

Rd 1 Pick 9-OT Andrew Thomas—An All-American at RT and a starting LT for Georgia.  Locks down RT as a rookie.

Rd 1 Pick 20-DE Yetur Gross-Matos—An under-rated DE who will improve our pass-rush as a rotational player with Austin Bryant.

Rd 2 Pick 35-LB Zach Baun—Fast and can play all three LB spots.  This continues the re-building of our LB corps.

Rd 2 Pick 44-WR Brandon Aiyuk—Good size and great speed.  He makes our WR really tough to defend

Rd 3-CB Jaylon Johnson—Good size and played in a pass-happy conference.  He should be able to step into a dime CB immediately.

Rd 4-OL Kevin Dotson—A big OL from an SEC program.  Solid depth and good upside.

Rd 5-S Julian Blackmon—Good size and ball skills.  He can fill a special teams role while he develops.

Tear it up!!

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I have been thinking about a realistic scenario for a mock draft that was a little out of the box with the trade-down and with who we would take.  I will make the assumption that Bob Quin will find a way to work the salary cap magic to make it happen.  That said:

Free agents:

Current Lions that we re-sign:

Jeff Driskell--He is a solid #2QB and a better athlete David Blough.  His speed should get him some trick play snaps

Miles Killebrew—He hasn’t been able to see much time on defense but is a special teams demon.  A new defensive coordinator could really help him out. 

Sam Martin—Had a much better 2019 than 2018.  He is a known quantity and is solid.  This should be a no-brainer

Don Mulbach—Still a really good long-snapper.  Another no-brainer

Tavon Wilson—Every team needs a savvy veteran like him

JD McKissick—He is good for one crazy play per game.  He rounds out our cadre of RBs nicely

Dee Virgin—A solid special teamer and decent dime CB.  He still might have some upside

Free Agents We Bring In:

Cory Littleton LB—Our current LBs are terrible at covering LBs and TEs.  He is an awesome coverage LB and good tackler

Quinton Dunbar CB—He is a good CB who is flying under the radar and probably won’t be as expensive as Darius Slay

Javon Hargrave DL—He may not be Chris Jones but he is really good and a really good fit

Joe Thuney OG—The lions aren’t too enthusiastic on re-signing Glasgow so we need a plug and play starter

Trade:

Prior to the draft the Lions trade Darius Slay to Darius Slay for a 2d round pick, #44

Prior to the draft the Lions trade back with the Jaguars in exchange for Taven Bryan and #20

Draft:

Rd 1 Pick 9-OT Andrew Thomas—An All-American at RT and a starting LT for Georgia.  Locks down RT as a rookie.

Rd 1 Pick 20-DE Yetur Gross-Matos—An under-rated DE who will improve our pass-rush as a rotational player with Austin Bryant.

Rd 2 Pick 35-LB Zach Baun—Fast and can play all three LB spots.  This continues the re-building of our LB corps.

Rd 2 Pick 44-WR Brandon Aiyuk—Good size and great speed.  He makes our WR really tough to defend

Rd 3-CB Jaylon Johnson—Good size and played in a pass-happy conference.  He should be able to step into a dime CB immediately.

Rd 4-OL Kevin Dotson—A big OL from an SEC program.  Solid depth and good upside.

Rd 5-S Julian Blackmon—Good size and ball skills.  He can fill a special teams role while he develops.

Tear it up!!

I pretty much like it.  I don't like Slay for a 2nd.  I'd like to get at least this year out of him and see what happens, but I understand the reasoning behind getting rid of him.  I'd prefer if we are drafting Thomas to put him right at LT and move Decker to RT, but its the same concept.  I like Baun.  I think he is going to surprise in the NFL.  All and all I think its solid.

• Like 1