Souped up cars all around me

Raidersfan1

• G/T Brandon Scherff (5 years, $84m)

• DT Javon Hargrave (4 years, $56m)

• LB Sean Lee (3 years, $11.8m)

You get Hargrave and Lee for $10m combined cap hit year one. 6.45 and 3.55, respectively. And Scherff comes in at $9.7m cap hit year one. 

Gabe Jackson becomes a cap casualty. Saving $9.7m in year one. Scherff provides more snarl and grit and versatility. While of course also being more of a stalwart. 

Stabilizing the unit has been a goal for quite some time now. 

Miller--Incognito--Hudson--Scherff--Brown is a unit we can trust. 

• Derek Carr and the 19th pick to CAR for the 7th pick

• Trade 12th pick to MIA for 26th and 39th picks

1st rd, 7th overall - CeeDee Lamb WR Oklahoma

1st rd, 26th overall - KJ Hamler WR Penn St

2nd rd, 39th overall - Thad Moss TE LSU

3rd rd - Cole McDonald QB Hawaii

3rd rd - Quez Watkins WR Southern Miss

3rd rd - Stanford Samuels CB Florida St

4th rd (via PIT) - Dante Olson LB Montana

*acquire 6th in trade down

5th rd - DeeJay Dallas RB Miami

6th rd - AJ Dillon RB Boston College

7th rd - Josiah Deguara TE Cincy

Will sign Brady for 1 year, $35m. 

Edited by Raidersfan1
Addition of draft picks

How do you sign Hargrove for 14M per yet he only had a 6.45M cap hit? You do realize players can’t have more Than a 30% salary increase each year, right?  Your proposed deal would require a massive Signing Bonus or very large roster bonuses in years 2-4.  There’s no way to structure a deal with the parameters you described that would allow us to get out the deal after 3 years without massive dead cap.

Would you please breakdown how this contract would look?   And remember almost all free agent 4yr deals pay out at bare minimum 45% of the total money by end of year 2. It’s usually 50-55% by year 2.

I’ve previously thought about the idea of releasing Jackson To sign Scherff.  In the end I don’t find it plausible due to the economics.  Yes, Browns deal drops down to 14-15m after this year but that’s way too much money in RT and RG and C.  

Also, I feel like you over drafted Hamler, Moss, and McDonald.  No offense but I give that draft a F.  If you trade up to 7 it’s gotta be for Simmons, cuz Lamb and/or Jeudy will be there at 12.

Im really not trying to be mean, just honest.  I do appreciate anyone who takes the time to do a mock.  I’d just have to kill Mayock if he did that.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

Based on an initial 4.45m salary the next 3 years base salaries can be a max of:

5.785m, 7.5205m, 9.77665

That’d require Large roster bonuses every year.

Damn you you fixed your math on the signing bonus (10/4 not 5).....lol 

Based on an initial 3.95m salary the next 3 years base salaries can be a max of:

5.135m , 6.6755m, 8.678150m

Edited by jimkelly02

Obviously you trying to backload the heck out of the deal.  It’s a stretch but you could do it most years not this year, as with no CBA extension their are additional cap rules like the 30% rule.

Juwan James signed a 4y,51m contract that was heavily backloaded but that deal didn’t have to meet the 30% rule.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/jawuan-james-14428/

off the top of my head I think you could get away with a first year cap hit of 8m...

cap hits of 8, 15, 16, 17

but do you really want to sign Hargrove to such a backloaded deal?  It’s like your going full win now, burn the cap for the future and picking Hargrove and Scherff to be the guys to get you a title.  I get the idea if your adding Chris Jones type players but we’re not a NT, upgraded RG, And Sean Lee from a trophy.

I do love the change to AJ Dillon in round 6, I often have that exact idea in my personal mocks.  Love that!

DEGUARA is an intriguing pick in the 7th.  He can be that TE/FB that replaces Carrier.  I do like that idea.  And I do like Dante Olsen but I think your buying in on his 2 rounds premature.

Those are some interesting trades.  I like how you included that.

i just don’t prefer the outcome.  I’d much much rather keep 12 and draft Lamb/Jeudy there and take Simmons at 7.  I do think Carolinas far over paying in that deal but it’s possible.  You failed I address LB besides Lee.  I’d rather have Simmons then Hamler and Moss.

Edited by jimkelly02

Salaries - $27.5m

$4.45, $5.75, 7.5, 9.75

$10m signing bonus

Workout/Performance Bonus - $18.5m

$6m roster bonus in year two

$4m roster bonus in year three

$3m LTBE - snaps, division

$2m NLTBE - sacks, playoff 

$2m escalator bonus clause based on All-Pro or Pro Bowl (salary increases $500k when activated)

$500k workout bonus 07/20, 07/21, 07/22

Something along those lines. 

Edited by Raidersfan1

https://overthecap.com/position/offensive-line/

Try starting with a similar players contract and tweak it your your liking.  But remember many of them Violate the 30% rule with salaries because it’s only in effect due to this being the last year of the CBA.

Im really just trying to help, and I’m not being a ****** out of spite.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

18.5m in workout and performance bonuses is a joke.

A high end work our bonuses is 250k.  

no player would sign that deal.  I’m trying to be helpful.  I think you can get the cap hit down to 8ish in the first year. 

Look, buddy. I'm not making the contract. It's hypothetical. Workout/Performance is a general category which includes roster bonus, workout bonus, reporting bonus, any type of BONUS. Incentive. LTBE. NLTBE. It's a catch all phrase for bonuses.

16 minutes ago, Raidersfan1 said:

If I knew when he was getting a $75,000 bonus to report for a workout I'd let you know. But I'm not making the deal. 

I don’t understand any of this.  Can you rephrase it?

15 minutes ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Point being Javon Hargrave is getting $14m in his pocket at AT LEAST half the cap hit. Bottom line. 

I don’t understand this either.  

We can afford to sign the players you listed so even though I don’t think it’s be wise to sign them, we can.  However, your cap figures and contract details don’t work.  You can bump up their first year cap hits and we can still afford them.