Everson Griffin Voids Final 3 Years of Deal

The Gnat

This isn't really a surprise, nor does it mean that he might not come back to the Vikings, but there are certainly teams, Seattle included who will be looking at him. The Raiders and Panthers have previously been interested in him as well. Had he not voided the deal he likely would have been released anyways because of the cap savings and his production levels wouldn't have matched his current contract.

I hope that he'll end up back with the Vikings, would be a shame to see him wrap up his career elsewhere as he still has some left in the tank, but with the various pending free agents that the Vikings have, I could definitely see them letting him leave.

Edit: This move also frees up $13.9 million in cap space for the Vikings.

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm ok with letting him go.  The cap savings would be nice, and I question whether he has all that much left in the tank anyway.  Next ones to go should be Xavier Rhodes, Linval Joseph, and possibly Kyle Rudolph, IMO.

I’m fine either way. Griffen is an awesome player and leader, the team was there for him a couple of years ago in a big way. I don’t think Griffen is a 10 sack per year player anymore and his production has been somewhat inconsistent. I think he’d do well in a role where he’d play maybe 65% of the time.

The cap relief is certainly a plus as MN has some key free agents in the secondary.

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

This was always going to happen.

Getting rid of Rhodes, Rudolph, and Joseph would also save a ton of money. Frankly Rudolph should probably not have been retained in the first place.

I agree on rudolph, he’s not going anywhere though. I think they look at cutting Riley Reiff or Linval Joseph before Rudolph. Rhodes is a given but keep in mind both Waynes and Alexander are free agents.

Edited by vikingsrule

As a Packer fan, I have tons of respect for Griffin the player and the Vikings as an organization for standing by him.  It's a great story all around.  That guy played specials for a few years before he really got an opportunity and he's a very good EDGE player.

Even though he's a thorn in our side, I hope he stays in Minnesota.  He belongs there.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

As a Packer fan, I have tons of respect for Griffin the player and the Vikings as an organization for standing by him.  It's a great story all around.  That guy played specials for a few years before he really got an opportunity and he's a very good EDGE player.

Even though he's a thorn in our side, I hope he stays in Minnesota.  He belongs there.

Kinda how I felt about Osi Umenyiora with the Giants back in the day tbh.

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't understand this. He's not going to make as much money, dude is 32. Teams aren't going to sign you to a deal for more than 3 years, and you're not going to make 13+ Million per year.

I think he's going to try to work out a way to stay with the Vikings for longer at a lower cap number. He very likely doesn't want to go anywhere else because of his personal ties to the organization. Some guys are just different.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Kinda how I felt about Osi Umenyiora with the Giants back in the day tbh.

You know?  Sometimes you just remember players...when he came out, I think it was from USC, right?  Went maybe early 4'th round?  I thought the Vikes got a steal there.  Then I saw him running down on kick off coverage teams and thought that there were corners on our roster who couldn't run like him.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I don't understand this. He's not going to make as much money, dude is 32. Teams aren't going to sign you to a deal for more than 3 years, and you're not going to make 13+ Million per year.

His reasoning might be, why wait to get cut?  If he voids the contract now, he at least gets to shop himself to other teams, well before the draft and other free agents hit the market.  In other words, he is a little more in control of his destiny this way, I think.

• Like 1