Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Gnat

Everson Griffin Voids Final 3 Years of Deal

Recommended Posts


 

No real surprise that this happened. I believe it was almost automatic if he hit a certain sack threshold. 

I could see him going to Seattle, and I've heard Las Vegas and Carolina mentioned as well. I think that the Vikings are still in the running, at least that's what Vikings reporters are saying, and I think it'd make sense.

 

But this frees up $13.9 mil for the Vikings, which is huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Griffen was okay last year, seemed to play better down the stretch. I don’t think there is anyone on the roster who can take his spot so I’d like to see him return if the price is reasonable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ifeadi Odenigbo showed up decently well and Weatherly hasn't been bad. I think that the combo wouldn't be too bad to replace Griffin but the depth would be thin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Ifeadi Odenigbo showed up decently well and Weatherly hasn't been bad. I think that the combo wouldn't be too bad to replace Griffin but the depth would be thin.

I like Odenigbo a lot.

I think regardless what happens we spend a mid round pick at DE again. That position is our golden standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like Odenigbo a lot.

I think regardless what happens we spend a mid round pick at DE again. That position is our golden standard.

I like him too, a lot. But isnt he better as a reserve DE/DT than a starter? If he does start, who fills that reserve role and can give the team 6-8 sacks from the bench? It’s a big depth hit regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

But isnt he better as a reserve DE/DT than a starter? If he does start, who fills that reserve role and can give the team 6-8 sacks from the bench? It’s a big depth hit regardless. 

I think right now all we know him as is the back-up, I think he can probably start, but it does cause a big hit to the depth. If we retain Weatherly, we'll still be wanting to get a mid round DE, time to try a mock draft and see how that goes or who is there in the mid rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen had eight sacks while playing 78 percent of the defensive snaps during the 2019 season and he’s set for free agency as a result.

Griffen’s contract contains a clause allowing him to opt out of the remaining three years of his deal as long as he had six sacks while playing 57 percent of the defensive snaps in 2019. Griffen had until February 25 to exercise that right, but Courtney Cronin of ESPN.com reports that he has already done so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/report-everson-griffen-told-vikings-hes-voiding-remainder-of-contract/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I think right now all we know him as is the back-up, I think he can probably start, but it does cause a big hit to the depth. If we retain Weatherly, we'll still be wanting to get a mid round DE, time to try a mock draft and see how that goes or who is there in the mid rounds.

Weatherly probably walks and gets a decent deal elsewhere, I don’t think he’s that good. I have no issue taking a DE as early as the first round. Zimmer likes to play coverage a lot, you need a strong front four to do so. Losing 8 sacks isn’t going to be easy to replace. 

Edited by vikingsrule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vikingsrule said:

Weatherly probably walks and gets a decent deal elsewhere, I don’t think he’s that good.

If he gets an offer to start somewhere, yes he gone.  But, if there's no guarantee of a starting job, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay for a modest deal, because at least he's probably guaranteed to get a lot of snaps here on a rotational basis.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have much of a problem with Obenigbo being a full time starter and think he could at least be at an above replacement level there if not better.

But losing Giffen would be a difficult hit to suffer the. The problem is I think he would be best suited in a rotational role that keeps him fresh all season and I doubt they can work out a contract that compensates him at that level cause he'll likely want much more.

Him and Reiff are easily the toughest decisions among the cap casualty options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Griffen was really good and I don't want to see him leave but we honestly could pull up one of our younger guys and he would give similar production and a lot less money. Our D-line looked stacked last year in the preseason. I have faith in Zimmer and those guys to get the job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodness, with how our free agents are looking, we might be in line for a butt-load of 3rd round compensatory picks.  (English butt-load, not metric btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't blame Griff for wanting out of his deal. I think we can infer he asked to take a paycut again, which is a little naive since he did it last year and 14M for a all around productive 9 sack DE isn't much of an overpay (whats his fair market for that... like 12?). Even at 32, I bet he gets like 2 years 25ish with 10-15M guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Griffen did the smart thing for him. I hope he comes back to the Vikings, as he has stated he wants to finish his career in Minnesota.  I think he's willing to give a discount, but not likely a deep one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Griffen did the smart thing for him. I hope he comes back to the Vikings, as he has stated he wants to finish his career in Minnesota.  I think he's willing to give a discount, but not likely a deep one.

How much does it have to do with getting more guarantee money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×