Everson Griffin Voids Final 3 Years of Deal

The Gnat

No real surprise that this happened. I believe it was almost automatic if he hit a certain sack threshold. 

I could see him going to Seattle, and I've heard Las Vegas and Carolina mentioned as well. I think that the Vikings are still in the running, at least that's what Vikings reporters are saying, and I think it'd make sense.

But this frees up $13.9 mil for the Vikings, which is huge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Ifeadi Odenigbo showed up decently well and Weatherly hasn't been bad. I think that the combo wouldn't be too bad to replace Griffin but the depth would be thin.

I like Odenigbo a lot.

I think regardless what happens we spend a mid round pick at DE again. That position is our golden standard.

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like Odenigbo a lot.

I think regardless what happens we spend a mid round pick at DE again. That position is our golden standard.

I like him too, a lot. But isnt he better as a reserve DE/DT than a starter? If he does start, who fills that reserve role and can give the team 6-8 sacks from the bench? It’s a big depth hit regardless. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

But isnt he better as a reserve DE/DT than a starter? If he does start, who fills that reserve role and can give the team 6-8 sacks from the bench? It’s a big depth hit regardless. 

I think right now all we know him as is the back-up, I think he can probably start, but it does cause a big hit to the depth. If we retain Weatherly, we'll still be wanting to get a mid round DE, time to try a mock draft and see how that goes or who is there in the mid rounds.

Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen had eight sacks while playing 78 percent of the defensive snaps during the 2019 season and he’s set for free agency as a result.

Griffen’s contract contains a clause allowing him to opt out of the remaining three years of his deal as long as he had six sacks while playing 57 percent of the defensive snaps in 2019. Griffen had until February 25 to exercise that right, but Courtney Cronin of ESPN.com reports that he has already done so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/report-everson-griffen-told-vikings-hes-voiding-remainder-of-contract/

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I think right now all we know him as is the back-up, I think he can probably start, but it does cause a big hit to the depth. If we retain Weatherly, we'll still be wanting to get a mid round DE, time to try a mock draft and see how that goes or who is there in the mid rounds.

Weatherly probably walks and gets a decent deal elsewhere, I don’t think he’s that good. I have no issue taking a DE as early as the first round. Zimmer likes to play coverage a lot, you need a strong front four to do so. Losing 8 sacks isn’t going to be easy to replace. 

Edited by vikingsrule

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Weatherly probably walks and gets a decent deal elsewhere, I don’t think he’s that good.

If he gets an offer to start somewhere, yes he gone.  But, if there's no guarantee of a starting job, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay for a modest deal, because at least he's probably guaranteed to get a lot of snaps here on a rotational basis.  

I don't have much of a problem with Obenigbo being a full time starter and think he could at least be at an above replacement level there if not better.

But losing Giffen would be a difficult hit to suffer the. The problem is I think he would be best suited in a rotational role that keeps him fresh all season and I doubt they can work out a contract that compensates him at that level cause he'll likely want much more.

Him and Reiff are easily the toughest decisions among the cap casualty options.

I don't blame Griff for wanting out of his deal. I think we can infer he asked to take a paycut again, which is a little naive since he did it last year and 14M for a all around productive 9 sack DE isn't much of an overpay (whats his fair market for that... like 12?). Even at 32, I bet he gets like 2 years 25ish with 10-15M guaranteed.

Griffen did the smart thing for him. I hope he comes back to the Vikings, as he has stated he wants to finish his career in Minnesota.  I think he's willing to give a discount, but not likely a deep one.

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Griffen did the smart thing for him. I hope he comes back to the Vikings, as he has stated he wants to finish his career in Minnesota.  I think he's willing to give a discount, but not likely a deep one.

How much does it have to do with getting more guarantee money?