Everson Griffin Voids Final 3 Years of Deal

The Gnat

34 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Has anyone heard any news about Everson signing with another team or even being in talks with anyone?  If he doesn't have any interest on the open market, it makes one wonder why he wanted to leave the Vikings.  It seems like there is a trend starting with our losing so many defensive players. 

The trend is we have no money and there just haven’t been priority players to resign. They’d be resigned if they were a priority. I’m still holding out hope that the Vikes and Griffen can find a way to come to an agreement.

Edited by vikingsrule

13 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

It always sounded like he wanted to come back. I figured the Vikings weren't offering what other teams were talking about

And with all the other moves they've made, they just don't have sufficient money to satisfy Griffen.  While he was likely willing to take a paycut, he was only thinking it's be a scissor cut, not a hatchet.  

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not that worried about losing Griffen. I feel the angst over losing him is centered more around sentimental reasons than practical reasons. 

Not really. My concern over losing him is the fact that the DE depth on this team is brutally bad. We’ve got one elite one in Hunter and a big unknown in Odinigbo. Can he play RE in base? After that, undrafted practice squad level players.

At least with Griffen, he can start and keep Odinigbo fresh or you put Griffen in more of a reserved role as DE3.

Edited by vikingsrule

40 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Not really. My concern over losing him is the fact that the DE depth on this team is brutally bad. We’ve got one elite one in Hunter and a big unknown in Odinigbo. Can he play RE in base? After that, undrafted practice squad level players.

At least with Griffen, he can start and keep Odinigbo fresh or you put Griffen in more of a reserved role as DE3.

I agree.  Also bumps up DE on the needs with CB, DT, OL, WR. 

• 1 month later...

During a recent appearance on #PFTPM, Spielman was asked about the possibility of Everson Griffen, who remains unsigned, returning to the team.

Spielman: “It is hard to say right now where everything is at and where we are at, but until things become more normalized I will never say never on a player.  I know it will be very hard on a salary cap standpoint. I don’t want to get into the business side of it, but right now I know where our roster is, but your roster is never set.”

“I know our pro personnel department and George Paton are working through guys and how we can continue to build this roster, and so in general terms we are trying to conduct business as normal as we can and try to bring guys in here that can potentially help us.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/02/vikings-will-never-say-never-about-an-everson-griffen-reunion/

Clearly, as long as Griffin doesn't sign with another team, there's a chance he'll be re-signed.  Personnel-wise The Vikings WILL want to do it.  It will just depend upon how much money they will have left under the cap, and if it will be enough for Griffin to accept.  IF he DOES  return, naturally, he'll be in a rotation, likely getting somewhat less downs than he got last season.

Let me be very clear: Griffen has been my absolute favorite Viking since Jared Allen, and it kills me to not see him in purple... but i'll be the first to say that I don't see him coming back, nor do I think it's a worthwhile move for the team at this point. We brought in a significant amount of new faces this year to the D-Line: Pierce, Zettel, Wonnum, Lynch, Willekes, and Moa. We did this while losing Griff, Joseph, Weatherly... I might be missing more, but the point still stands. Not all of our additions are a lock to make the roster, but we do have some guys on the team who will be vying for significant playing time like Odenigbo, and we need to use money towards signing key young pieces. If Griffen is re-signed, i'll be happy, but I think the smart move right now is to ride with what we have and re-assess next year.

16 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Let me be very clear: Griffen has been my absolute favorite Viking since Jared Allen, and it kills me to not see him in purple... but i'll be the first to say that I don't see him coming back, nor do I think it's a worthwhile move for the team at this point. We brought in a significant amount of new faces this year to the D-Line: Pierce, Zettel, Wonnum, Lynch, Willekes, and Moa. We did this while losing Griff, Joseph, Weatherly... I might be missing more, but the point still stands. Not all of our additions are a lock to make the roster, but we do have some guys on the team who will be vying for significant playing time like Odenigbo, and we need to use money towards signing key young pieces. If Griffen is re-signed, i'll be happy, but I think the smart move right now is to ride with what we have and re-assess next year.

Problem is a lot of those new faces at DE are likely not in a position to make an immediate impact. You’re talking about an under developed 4th round DE, a 7th round long shot and a journeyman FA. They’d all greatly benefit learning from Griffen for a year and not have to be rushed into the lineup. We’re also not just needing to replace Griffen. We also need to replace Weatherly, so now you’re asking two of those players to get meaningful reps.

Edited by vikingsrule

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Problem is a lot of those new faces at DE are likely not in a position to make an immediate impact. You’re talking about an under developed 4th round DE, a 7th round long shot and a journeyman FA. They’d all greatly benefit learning from Griffen for a year and not have to be rushed back. We’re also not just needing to replace Griffen. We also need to replace Weatherly, so now you’re asking two of those players to get meaningful reps.

I'm not saying that there won't be a drop off in production, because I absolutely think there could be/will be. I'm just not sure how big that drop off will be, and I also know that guys like Odenigbo might be able to maximize their potential from getting those meaningful reps. I can make an argument both for and against bringing Griffen back, but I think that as far as roster spots and money goes, the prudent move for long term health along the D-line would be to ride with what we have for now. As a for instance, if we had to bring back a vet that we lost this year between Griffen and Kline, i'd prefer to spend the money on Kline not only because he'd be cheaper overall, but because I think the drop off/need at OG is much greater than it is at DE. Now if we were able to get a long term deal done with Harris that spread some money out AND we were able to either release Elflein/ Reiff to the point where we could resign both Griffen and Kline... I think we'd have something going for us..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d rather have Griffen than Kline personally, especially considering health and the value of position played. I actually dont mind seeing Samia at RG over Kline if Reiff is the LG, which may not even happen. 

I want to see Samia too, but I think I personally have more faith in Odenigbo taking over for Griffen than I do of Samia taking over for Kline just anecdotally based on what we've seen out of them.