Everson Griffin Voids Final 3 Years of Deal

The Gnat

1 minute ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I want to see Samia too, but I think I personally have more faith in Odenigbo taking over for Griffen than I do of Samia taking over for Kline just anecdotally based on what we've seen out of them.

I’d assume that Odenigbo is already taking over for Griffen even if Griffen returns. I’d like to see Griffen return to essentially get pass rush reps, maybe spell Odenigbo and perhaps let Odenigbo move around as he did last year.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d assume that Odenigbo is already taking over for Griffen even if Griffen returns. I’d like to see Griffen return to essentially get pass rush reps, maybe spell Odenigbo and perhaps let Odenigbo move around as he did last year.

Again, it makes my skin crawl to say this, but I think Odenigbo would still be best served to be out on pass rush downs. He wasn't anything special in run defense, but he did great with the pass rush snaps he had. Now, move Griff inside on those pass rush downs, and again i'm sold.

56 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Let me be very clear: Griffen has been my absolute favorite Viking since Jared Allen, and it kills me to not see him in purple... but i'll be the first to say that I don't see him coming back, nor do I think it's a worthwhile move for the team at this point. We brought in a significant amount of new faces this year to the D-Line: Pierce, Zettel, Wonnum, Lynch, Willekes, and Moa. We did this while losing Griff, Joseph, Weatherly... I might be missing more, but the point still stands. Not all of our additions are a lock to make the roster, but we do have some guys on the team who will be vying for significant playing time like Odenigbo, and we need to use money towards signing key young pieces. If Griffen is re-signed, i'll be happy, but I think the smart move right now is to ride with what we have and re-assess next year.

I totally missed the fact that we added Eddie Yarbrough. Technically not an offseason move as it happened before the Saints game, but that's still another new face not to forget. He's carved out an okay career for someone who was a UDFA in 2016. Nothing spectacular, but hanging around the league and performing on a good Buffalo defense. Hard worker, great personality.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Cardinals reportedly have interest in Everson Griffen, according to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com.

Chad Graff of TheAthletic.com recently explained that Griffen’s status has been influenced in part by the inability to make visits to teams. As Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman told #PFTPM in the aftermath of the draft, the door isn’t closed on a return to Minnesota; however, the Vikings lack the cap space to give Griffen the kind of deal he may expect.

Griffen has 74.5 sacks in 147 career games. He had a career-high 13.0 sacks in 2017.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/23/cardinals-reportedly-have-interest-in-everson-griffen/