The 2020 NFL Combine Thread

WindyCity

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would be fine with the Bears getting involved if the comp is not a 2nd round pick.

I’d give 50 for him. He’s a 1st round talent who has only underwhelmed statistically because Mark Andrews has well outplayed his draft grade. Hurst’s efficiency numbers are incredibly high, he fits the mold of what we are targeting at the position, and he’s on the books via trade for the next 2 years at $1.48M and $1.98M, and then would still have a 5th year option available, so 3 years of control at like $11M total. His value already exceeds that and with more volume may well exceed that. Only real knock on him is that he’s already gonna be 27 this season, but even if we only keep him the 3 seasons of control that remain that’s really solid and maybe great value for a 2nd rounder with a high known floor. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d give 50 for him. He’s a 1st round talent who has only underwhelmed statistically because Mark Andrews has well outplayed his draft grade. Hurst’s efficiency numbers are incredibly high, he fits the mold of what we are targeting at the position, and he’s on the books via trade for the next 2 years at $1.48M and $1.98M, and then would still have a 5th year option available, so 3 years of control at like $11M total. His value already exceeds that and with more volume may well exceed that. Only real knock on him is that he’s already gonna be 27 this season, but even if we only keep him the 3 seasons of control that remain that’s really solid and maybe great value for a 2nd rounder with a high known floor. 

But then where do we pick Chase Claypool?

Matt Miller is projecting that he is going to run a 4.45 [40], if he does that and jumps out of the building at 240lbs you know Pace is going to fall in love.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:16 AM, WindyCity said:

Tony Pauline

“THEY WILL BE LOOKING HARD AT THE TIGHT ENDS AND SPEED RECEIVERS. THE BEARS WILL ALSO CLOSELY MONITOR THE DEFENSIVE BACKS. I WOULD SUSPECT LINEBACKERS WILL BE FOCUSED ON AS WELL AS THEY MAY LOSE SOME VETERANS TO FREE AGENCY.” 

Unless Pace plans to add a couple in FA I think TE is a given.  Speed WR is more doubtful unless in the later rounds.  First I'd get our QB actually able to accurately hit on passes to one THEN find one who could become a game changer.  By all rights Taylor Gabriel should have been able to provide that kind of threat but didn't not because of him but because Mitch's deep ball didn't threaten anyone.  Speedy WRs aren't all that tough to find so bring in a bunch and hope we get lucky but the gravy is still gonna come from ARob and the others.

TE has to be beefed up with lots of competition.  We need to add OL and DL where we can as well.  Build from the inside out.  If we can find a good edge rusher in round 2 I'd jump there as well.  Lynch isn't it.  Irving isn't it.  Fitts wasn't it?  And Floyd will never be a sack artist and though overall he's a good OL we really need a pass rusher to sub for him at times.  I don't care if the guy can't cover your grandma as long as he can nail a QB more often than Floyd can we need him and we can't afford a good one in FA this year.

I guess we'll find out about our ILBs soon enough and we should be able to score a true SS in FA to replace HHC-D so Jackson can get back to paying FS where he's a much bigger threat.  It's gonna be tough to predict the draft until we know where the holes are and also what guy Pace may covet enough to surprise us with whom we never saw comin'.  There's always one of those right?

Edited by soulman

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

But then where do we pick Chase Claypool?

Matt Miller is projecting that he is going to run a 4.45 [40], if he does that and jumps out of the building at 240lbs you know Pace is going to fall in love.

I can’t tell if you’re razzing me or not... 

Presumably a trade for Hurst combined with the signing of Harris already would take TE pretty much off the draft board for us, at least early on. 

If Claypool does that AND Pace signs off on it I’d be fine if Claypool was our big play at TE. If that’s the move then he needs to be given every opportunity to be the guy right away though and we will need to have addressed OL with a significant move in FA. It’d be very un-Pacelike for him to presumably come into the draft having telegraphed his play to be for a TE.

Man, this would be an ideal draft for us to have more earlier picks. The draft strength at the top and our needs line up really well this year. I think Pace is going to try to do something about that. 

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I can’t tell if you’re razzing me or not... 

Presumably a trade for Hurst combined with the signing of Harris already would take TE pretty much off the draft board for us, at least early on. 

If Claypool does that AND Pace signs off on it I’d be fine if Claypool was our big play at TE. If that’s the move then he needs to be given every opportunity to be the guy right away though and we will need to have addressed OL with a significant move in FA. It’d be very un-Pacelike for him to presumably come into the draft having telegraphed his play to be for a TE.

Man, this would be an ideal draft for us to have more earlier picks. The draft strength at the top and our needs line up really well this year. I think Pace is going to try to do something about that. 

No, I would like to add both.

Y-Hurts

U-Claypool

I just suspect Claypool is going to scream up boards after a great Senior Bowl week and what looks like it will be a good combine and his willingness to switch positions.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No, I would like to add both.

Y-Hurts

U-Claypool

I just suspect Claypool is going to scream up boards after a great Senior Bowl week and what looks like it will be a good combine and his willingness to switch positions.

Gotcha. My suspicion is we may have already added our primary 2020 Y in Harris. The expedited signing after Harris was released is what makes me think so because I think he probably had a few options available to him to get on a roster quickly. That said, he’s a 1-year contract of which we don’t yet know the terms so he’s far from locked in.

The unknown of Burton for 2020 is what complicates everything.  From what they’ve described about him you’d think they shouldn’t count on him for anything in 2020 but he’s still committed a lot of money and he’s at minimum going to have a roster spot and, if healthy, he will and should have a significant role no matter what we add at the position. Because of that unless they already know 2020 is probably lost for Burton having 2 significant adds on top of Harris just seems unlikely. If they realistically expect Burton back then going Claypool makes more sense. If they’re unsure or down on it then a more significant FA has to happen IMO. Given our limited resources I don’t see how we can really do a quality FA signing and then a 2nd rounder at the position unless we plan to run what Baltimore did last year, and there’s no indication at all that Nagy would ever consider such a shift. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Dude looks stiff to me... 

I really want to see him workout. I think he looks a little stiff on film, but I have to tell myself when I am watching him he is huge compared to some of the other guys. If he runs 4.8 I am out in the terms of the 2nd round.

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Gotcha. My suspicion is we may have already added our primary 2020 Y in Harris. The expedited signing after Harris was released is what makes me think so because I think he probably had a few options available to him to get on a roster quickly. That said, he’s a 1-year contract of which we don’t yet know the terms so he’s far from locked in.

The unknown of Burton for 2020 is what complicates everything.  From what they’ve described about him you’d think they shouldn’t count on him for anything in 2020 but he’s still committed a lot of money and he’s at minimum going to have a roster spot and, if healthy, he will and should have a significant role no matter what we add at the position. Because of that unless they already know 2020 is probably lost for Burton having 2 significant adds on top of Harris just seems unlikely. If they realistically expect Burton back then going Claypool makes more sense. If they’re unsure or down on it then a more significant FA has to happen IMO. Given our limited resources I don’t see how we can really do a quality FA signing and then a 2nd rounder at the position unless we plan to run what Baltimore did last year, and there’s no indication at all that Nagy would ever consider such a shift. 

I think Harris was signed to be a #3 not a presumptive starter. My guess is he got sub 1.5 million with little guaranteed or his agent would have leaked it. I think he jumped the market to ensure he got into a situation where he was likely to make the team.

I think you have to operate like Burton is a sunk cost and won't give you anything, even if you are paying him.

Edited by WindyCity

20 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I suspect you are right that a significant signing would move it down the draft needs.

I like the idea of perhaps flipping a 2021 3rd to Baltimore and for Hurst and still taking Claypool.

Hurst and Claypool could be your 1 and 2 for years to come with how cheap and controlled they are. You would run more 2 TE sets, but I think Nagy would like to do that and with no true #3 WR Claypool could double dip into those targets.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think you have to operate like Burton is a sunk cost and won't give you anything, even if you are paying him.

I think they should. I have my doubts about whether they will. If Burton’s reliable prognosis is that he’s back at 100% by June or July I think you expect something from him. Anything less and I think you have to expect nothing and hope to be pleasantly surprised.