Kevin King Time?

TheOnlyThing

After last season everyone was aware that that Packers needed additional talent at CB. Thus, Kevin King was the team's top draft pick last spring, albeit in the second round.

Like nearly all rookies, King's inexperience showed at times during training camp and in the preseason games. He did not play much in the opener against Seattle. However, last night, on national television, he played quite a bit and by all accounts played pretty well against a very potent opponent.

"Top draft pick Kevin King was one of the few bright spots on defense. He had three tackles and a pass breakup in 46 snaps – 40 more than he played in the opener – as Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins got pulled at different points in Sunday's loss to the Falcons."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fdemovsky_rob.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropRob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Could this lead to King getting even more extensive playing time/becoming an entrenched starter going forward?

Traditionally, rookies have not played very much on D in GB under Dom Capers (though another CB Damarious Randall played quite a lot as a rookie in 2015). However, for the reasons below, I feel King should be one of the starters at CB beginning next Sunday and for the foreseeable future.

Reasons King should start include the fact that he and Randall are the most athletic of the top four CBs, the stage has not looked too big for him so far and any growing pains he experiences now could lead to greater success later in the year. In addition, the next two games are at home against two garbage offenses, which should help ease the transition.

An equally compelling reason for going with King is that Randall, and especially Rollins, have done little to justify keeping King on the bench. 

I don't think bringing along King slowly makes much sense if the team is going to count on him this season, especially given the alternatives, and really hope to see him starting and getting the majority of snaps at one of the CB positions starting this Sunday. 

I thought King looked quite good against the Falcons.  Sure the video showed Julio beating him badly on a pass that didn't go his way, but that's gonna happen.

The kid is physical.  He has closing speed and really, really long arms.  He needs to get out there more.

After this past game, I have a knee jerk reaction to both Randall and Rollins.  Neither one gets a second contract in GB.  They are showing that they cannot play.  Rollins can cover some, but his idea of being physical is throwing himself at the ankles of a ballcarrier.  Randall just isn't covering well.  Very disappointed in both.

Because now?  Now GB may have to take another corner relatively high in the next draft.  That is never a bad thing, but if those two R&R boys don't put it together then taking a good corner high is no longer a luxury and instead becomes a necessity.

Yes, absolutely King should get many reps. 

#1 because he is likely better today

#2 even if he isn't he will be by January with reps

I'll be shocked if we don't see a ton of King going forward. He passed the coaches test while R&R did not. No reason to give either Randall or Rollins reps ahead of King at this point.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I thought King looked quite good against the Falcons.  Sure the video showed Julio beating him badly on a pass that didn't go his way, but that's gonna happen.

The kid is physical.  He has closing speed and really, really long arms.  He needs to get out there more.

After this past game, I have a knee jerk reaction to both Randall and Rollins.  Neither one gets a second contract in GB.  They are showing that they cannot play.  Rollins can cover some, but his idea of being physical is throwing himself at the ankles of a ballcarrier.  Randall just isn't covering well.  Very disappointed in both.

Because now?  Now GB may have to take another corner relatively high in the next draft.  That is never a bad thing, but if those two R&R boys don't put it together then taking a good corner high is no longer a luxury and instead becomes a necessity.

The fact he played confident against that guy.... You gotta like that. Game didn't look too big.

I think a much more important question is who is going to step up as the 3rd corner? King will have his growing pains but I feel like the pairing of him and House by December should be adequate. The reason why teams like Seattle and Denver are so good on D is they have 3 corners who can all cover successfully.  We needs one of Randall, Rollins, Hawkins to step up and play at a semi consistent level as that third reliable corner.

If Rollins and Randall have another game like yesterday I wouldn't mind seeing what Hawkins can do. I could forgive a couple coverage breakdowns but Rollins & Randall really put a bad taste in my mouth yesterday. They just looked really bad....

5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I think a much more important question is who is going to step up as the 3rd corner? King will have his growing pains but I feel like the pairing of him and House by December should be adequate. The reason why teams like Seattle and Denver are so good on D is they have 3 corners who can all cover successfully.  We needs one of Randall, Rollins, Hawkins to step up and play at a semi consistent level as that third reliable corner.

If Rollins and Randall have another game like yesterday I wouldn't mind seeing what Hawkins can do. I could forgive a couple coverage breakdowns but Rollins & Randall really put a bad taste in my mouth yesterday. They just looked really bad....

This is an excellent point about the third CB. I think House can be at least solid at one corner and King shows considerable promise, but what to do at the third CB?

I still believe Randall has ability because he was pretty decent as a rookie in 2015. I also have no reason to doubt injuries were responsible for most of his poor play in 2016, but right now he just does not look like much of a player. He looks very apprehensive.

As for Rollins, what has he shown to deserve the third CB job? He was the fourth CB as a rookie in 2015 and the best that can be said about 2016 is that he was too injured to be effective. I think Rollins lacks football instincts and he is not a great enough athlete to overcome that fact.

I also would love to see what Hawkins can do at least ahead of Rollins.

25 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Yeah Hayward for 5-6m/yr would be the perfect slot guy, not sure why we let him walk....Guess they incorrectly thought they had something in Randall/Rollins/Gunter

And we had elite shields at the time. There was good reason to let him walk. If neither Randall or Rollins work out it looks bad. Hindsight is 50/50

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm thinking you demote one of the R&R boys and play Hawkins.  Reasons being?  Hawkins can't be much worse and it could light a fire under Randall or Rollins.

I give Randall and Rollins one more game to prove it.  If Randall and Rollins both stink it up in the first half against the Bengals I bench both and at least try something new.  At best hes better than both of them or he lights a fire under both to be better. At worst we give up a ton of big plays but I get to hear someone different getting destroyed. He can't be a worse tackler. 

Randall and Rollins will be fine on grass. They just will always be a liability on turf against speed. At least the Vikings and Lions don't have a Julio or Taylor Gabriel. 

I still think both have a future in this league. Im just not sure either has been used right. Rollins is exclusively a slot CB and I think Randall is a safety. Both are below average man cover guys, but I think both have good instincts and ball skills. They should be takeaway guys, not cover guys.

23 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I give Randall and Rollins one more game to prove it.  If Randall and Rollins both stink it up in the first half against the Bengals I bench both and at least try something new.  At best hes better than both of them or he lights a fire under both to be better. At worst we give up a ton of big plays but I get to hear someone different getting destroyed. He can't be a worse tackler. 

Problem with this is, of course they will look good against the Bengals, because everyone looks good against the Bengals right now...but the next elite offense we play will burn them again. I'm starting House and King on the outside, Rollins in the slot, and working Hawkins in a little to see what you've got with him. Move Randall to safety and see if he can be any more effective there. 

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Randall and Rollins will be fine on grass. They just will always be a liability on turf against speed. At least the Vikings and Lions don't have a Julio or Taylor Gabriel. 

I still think both have a future in this league. Im just not sure either has been used right. Rollins is exclusively a slot CB and I think Randall is a safety. Both are below average man cover guys, but I think both have good instincts and ball skills. They should be takeaway guys, not cover guys.

Didnt Marvin Jones go for like 200 against us last year?

Diggs can kill us as well.

9 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Problem with this is, of course they will look good against the Bengals, because everyone looks good against the Bengals right now...but the next elite offense we play will burn them again. I'm starting House and King on the outside, Rollins in the slot, and working Hawkins in a little to see what you've got with him. Move Randall to safety and see if he can be any more effective there. 

AJ Green is pretty good.   If Lewis has a brain they will do everything in their power to get him matched up on R&R like Jones was.

Archived