Kevin King Time?

TheOnlyThing

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The Randall we are seeing for GB is not the kid I saw some film of back in college.  That kid was flying around, not thinking, just reacting.  This new version stinks.  Either he needs to get it, or he needs to ride the pine.  He is exactly the kind of player you bench...first round pick who is underperforming.  Sends a message to the rest of the squad and it should light a fire under him.  Get a couple good practices out of him and then see if he can replicate it on the field.  I predict a healthy scratch from the gameday active roster is in his future.

For whatever reason, Randall's technique/footwork is a mess right now

The domino effect of losing Shields for the DB's is exactly what we saw when Nelson went down for the WR's. Everyone is forced to move up a notch and it has proven brutal in both instances. Cobb struggled the same way our young corners are. Randall frustrates me the most but not ready to throw in the towel on him just yet. Number one corners don't grow on trees and you rarely become one in year two, especially after a position switch. Rollins was playing basketball 3 years ago. Shields was also their leader - and now other that Whitt - you have to hope House can come around for many different reasons. In a high stress, confidence laden position, they are a rudderless group right now I am guessing. We got way too young and way too inexperienced  way too fast.

32 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The domino effect of losing Shields for the DB's is exactly what we saw when Nelson went down for the WR's. Everyone is forced to move up a notch and it has proven brutal in both instances. Cobb struggled the same way our young corners are. Randall frustrates me the most but not ready to throw in the towel on him just yet. Number one corners don't grow on trees and you rarely become one in year two, especially after a position switch. Rollins was playing basketball 3 years ago. Shields was also their leader - and now other that Whitt - you have to hope House can come around for many different reasons. In a high stress, confidence laden position, they are a rudderless group right now I am guessing. We got way too young and way too inexperienced  way too fast.

Edit. Read post wrong.

29 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Put him out there ... the other two have failed to seized a starting gig.  King looked good the other night .. smooth and aggressive.  Hopefully he can take the job and run with it.  Randall is closing in on bust territory.  He can't cover, and plays with a low compete level.  The kid just doesn't have it.  Rollins might just not have enough speed.  Hindsight is 20/20, but we should have re-upped with Casey Hayward when we had the chance.  He's far and away better than Randall/Rollins.

I would love to see King on AJ Green on Sunday. Closest thing we'll see at WR to Julio Jones the rest of the season.  

House is apparently good to go at the other corner despite tweaking the quad. 

Time to roll the dice to see what King can provide to the D this season. He seems eager to accept the challenge. 

And Randall/Rollins have done nothing in the past year+ that should prohibit experimenting with other players at CB. 

We are a self proclaimed draft and develop team. Then we let go of a very productive Hayward and Tretter for very modest contracts - both who would be very valuable about now - and have had some recent bad draft classes. Simply can't happen. Hindsight doesn't apply  - you are going against your own philosophy.

Really good article on the Kevin King/CB situation.

http://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Film-Review-Kings-Promotion-Could-Change-the-Season-for-Green-Ba-107668346

One paragraph stands out:

"Assuming the coaches stick with King, this could be a season-changing lineup change. House allowed one catch in three targets for 19 yards against the Falcons after not allowing a catch in one target vs. Seattle. These are amazing numbers from Pro Football Focus: Out of 103 corners with 25 percent playing time, House ranks eighth in yards per coverage snap, King ranks 13th, Rollins ranks 100th and Randall ranks 102nd."  

I hope the move to King happens quickly and he turns out to be nearly as good as he has looked so far. House and King on paper would appear to be a very decent CB starting duo on the outside.

25 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Really good article on the Kevin King/CB situation.

http://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Film-Review-Kings-Promotion-Could-Change-the-Season-for-Green-Ba-107668346

One paragraph stands out:

"Assuming the coaches stick with King, this could be a season-changing lineup change. House allowed one catch in three targets for 19 yards against the Falcons after not allowing a catch in one target vs. Seattle. These are amazing numbers from Pro Football Focus: Out of 103 corners with 25 percent playing time, House ranks eighth in yards per coverage snap, King ranks 13th, Rollins ranks 100th and Randall ranks 102nd."  

I hope the move to King happens quickly and he turns out to be nearly as good as he has looked so far. House and King on paper would appear to be a very decent CB starting duo on the outside.

That would be absolutely amazing if King was half as good as he was in Sea. But lets not go overboard, maybe part of the reason why he wasn't thrown at much was because Randall and Rollins were on the field and could be easily picked on. 

56 minutes ago, cannondale said:

We are a self proclaimed draft and develop team. Then we let go of a very productive Hayward and Tretter for very modest contracts - both who would be very valuable about now - and have had some recent bad draft classes. Simply can't happen. Hindsight doesn't apply  - you are going against your own philosophy.

That's a very interesting debate which we've had a few times on here. For the most part I'm on your side with it as well. It seems like we let a lot of players go after we've developed them. Just prepare for the "you can't re-sign everyone" argument. 

40 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

That's a very interesting debate which we've had a few times on here. For the most part I'm on your side with it as well. It seems like we let a lot of players go after we've developed them. Just prepare for the "you can't re-sign everyone" argument. 

It goes deeper than that. How much are we paying Randall ? Plus we used a #1 pick on him so we couldn't draft another need - olb perhaps. Then you bring in House as insurance - how much is he ? Now we have to burn more picks to cover the mistake when we already had a sure thing. The more it goes sideways, the cheaper Hayward gets. The same goes for Tretter. There is a domino effect whenever you sign a productive FA or let a productive FA go. There are bigger fish to fry, but it's brutal when it doesn't work out

Archived