Why Rebuild Now

vikings209

It seems like all the professional talking heads out there seem to think we're going to rebuild this year. I don't get it.

There are three contracts that we can get out of and that would save us a lot on the cap space(roughly 30mil). That should allow us to keep Harris and to sign a couple of players. Plus if we extend Cousins we can get more.

I just see way too much young talent on this team to rebuild. It doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not a rebuild, it’s a retooling. And all good teams go through this. The good teams are able to replenish as they move forward. They are able to let expensive, big name players leave, and find success with their replacements. 

It's exactly this.

Rebuild is trading off everything above 28 you can get a penny for and having 1-3 years of 3-13....4-12 and rebuilding around the draft.

The current Vikings just need a few holes patched and even at their worst, they struggle to be .500 or worse.

28 minutes ago, vikings209 said:

I agree that's what we need to do. But a lot of people are saying rebuild. Like we need to blow everything up. 

Because they don't know what they are talking about, as they aren't as close to the situation as even we are.  Zimmer has them right where he wants 'em, because they won't be expecting it.  

• Like 1

There's something to be said for "blowing things up," but I am doubtful that any NFL team truly does this.  I think the difference between retooling and rebuilding, is who are going to be the replacements for the contracts the Vikings get out of?  I've heard Rhodes, of course...and Riley Reiff.  I'm not counting the free agents.  I fully expect at least two of the four free agent DB's to be gone (I am not counting Sendejo).  I guarantee Kearse will be gone and most likely Waynes.  There's a good possibility that Alexander will be offered a really good contract to play elsewhere.  We have Hughes with all of his injuries, and Hill with all of his behavior issues.  I don't necessarily trust either.  On offense, I will not boo hoo if Reiff leaves, but who will replace him?  O'Neill is so very solid on the right side, I'd hate to move him. The backups are solid depth...but are they ready to step up?  We won't be able to tap into FA for a left tackle, as that will likely be more expensive than Reiff's contract.

If I were Cousins, I wouldn't sign an extension until I know what the plan is to improve the offensive line.  If they don't have a plan to significantly improve, I will play out my contract (hopefully putting up similar numbers to this past season) and probably get a better contract than the Vikings are offering.  The Vikings would be foolish to franchise Kirk as that wouldn't help the cap situation at all and might make it even worse.  High value players, like Cousins, would be dumb to fall in love with a team and an area when he could be set for life, signing with Chicago, Denver, Vegas, Miami for $110 million for 3 years.

If I were in the front office, I would extend Kirk for $95 million over four years but he would have to drop the no trade clause.  I don't think Kirk would go for either if he thinks he can get more guaranteed money elsewhere. 

36 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

There's something to be said for "blowing things up," but I am doubtful that any NFL team truly does this.  I think the difference between retooling and rebuilding, is who are going to be the replacements for the contracts the Vikings get out of?  I've heard Rhodes, of course...and Riley Reiff.  I'm not counting the free agents.  I fully expect at least two of the four free agent DB's to be gone (I am not counting Sendejo).  I guarantee Kearse will be gone and most likely Waynes.  There's a good possibility that Alexander will be offered a really good contract to play elsewhere.  We have Hughes with all of his injuries, and Hill with all of his behavior issues.  I don't necessarily trust either.  On offense, I will not boo hoo if Reiff leaves, but who will replace him?  O'Neill is so very solid on the right side, I'd hate to move him. The backups are solid depth...but are they ready to step up?  We won't be able to tap into FA for a left tackle, as that will likely be more expensive than Reiff's contract.

If I were Cousins, I wouldn't sign an extension until I know what the plan is to improve the offensive line.  If they don't have a plan to significantly improve, I will play out my contract (hopefully putting up similar numbers to this past season) and probably get a better contract than the Vikings are offering.  The Vikings would be foolish to franchise Kirk as that wouldn't help the cap situation at all and might make it even worse.  High value players, like Cousins, would be dumb to fall in love with a team and an area when he could be set for life, signing with Chicago, Denver, Vegas, Miami for $110 million for 3 years.

If I were in the front office, I would extend Kirk for $95 million over four years but he would have to drop the no trade clause.  I don't think Kirk would go for either if he thinks he can get more guaranteed money elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, vikings209 said:

I agree that's what we need to do. But a lot of people are saying rebuild. Like we need to blow everything up. 

The Vikings will be in rebuild mode next year if they fail to make the playoffs, especially if Zimmer and Spielman are fired. This year is more of a retooling, if they do it right, I’d expect to see several veterans cut or not retained. If the Vikes are content with the 2019 roster plus new draft picks, I wouldn’t expect much veteran turnover. Will see what direction they go in. The Vikes aren’t as talented as they were two years ago and we should expext to see even more roster turnover.

• Like 1

@Virginia Viking -- A couple things here:

I don't also don't believe this team should mess with the OT situation. Reiff plays a position that isn't easy to find a guy who can readily replace him. Footwork is extremely important to the position, and expecting O'Neil to be adept at being just as coordinated setting up pass protection from the left side without growing pains is wishful thinking. And who is to say he would ever be as effective on the left. If there was an excellent LT available for a cheap price every team on the market would want him. 

I think guard-play can be upgraded by the draft or FA however, and it should be a top priority.

Cousins seems content here. I doubt he would say no to an extension unless there's internal discord that I'm not aware of. You're right that he would want some help on the line, but again, I don't think it needs to come from the offensive tackle position.

Edited by babababa
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, babababa said:

@Virginia Viking -- A couple things here:

I don't also don't believe this team should mess with the OT situation. Reiff plays a position that isn't easy to find a guy who can readily replace him. Footwork is extremely important to the position, and expecting O'Neil to be adept at being just as coordinated setting up pass protection from the left side without growing pains is wishful thinking. And who is to say he would ever be as effective on the left. If there was an excellent LT available for a cheap price every team on the market would want him. 

I think guard-play can be upgraded by the draft or FA however, and it should be a top priority.

Cousins seems content here. I doubt he would say no to an extension unless there's internal discord that I'm not aware of. You're right that he would want some help on the line, but again, I don't think it needs to come from the offensive tackle position.

He was a Left Tackle at Pittsburgh the year we drafted him; it's not as if he's never played there.

• Like 1

From the doom and gloom point of view, without a few players coming out of nowhere, I don't see the team competing for a title in 2020. There are too many holes without real options on the roster and the team doesn't have enough space or draft capital. Looking at just starters on D there are legit questions at DE, probably 2 DTs, CB 1-3, Harris. Then throw in Diggs wanting out, Cousins being a tier 2 QB, a line with issues still...

On the positive note, keeping the squad status quo, barring injuries, the O is going to be a top 7ish unit. If Zim works magic on D, the team has double digit win potential.

The way this probably goes is an attempt at a soft rebuild (go younger at at few key spots, hope people develop). Under 8 wins in 2020 means leadership change.

Edited by pacman5252
grammar corrections
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, RpMc said:

He was a Left Tackle at Pittsburgh the year we drafted him; it's not as if he's never played there.

My mistake. Thanks for correcting me.

Well if the team feels comfortable switching him and moving on from Reiff so be it, but they would then need an RT and 1-2 new guards. 

This team doesn't need to "rebuild."  

What this team should do is reload for the 2021 season. They need to realize that paying Cousins 13% or more of the salary cap isn't going to be a good investment and draft his successor in Round 1 or 2 THIS YEAR. Let it be known to Kirk that he is playing 2020 for his future elsewhere. Hopefully, that lights a fire under him to play his absolute best and lead us as far as he can take us.

Let the rookie learn for a year and take over in 2021. Use the rookie QB contract savings to resign other young talent that will be due extensions soon (O'Neill being at the top of that list). 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, babababa said:

My mistake. Thanks for correcting me.

Well if the team feels comfortable switching him and moving on from Reiff so be it, but they would then need an RT and 1-2 new guards. 

It’d be a gamble but one could entertain the idea of...

O’Neill-(Samia/Kline/Rookie)-Bradbury-(Samia/Kline/Rookie)-Udoh

I may be in the minority but I thought Kline was decent. 

Edited by VikeManDan
Fixed font size differences
  • Like 1