Why Rebuild Now

vikings209

We would likely have to trade up to get a QB, whether that's trading up high in the first for Love or trading up in the second for Eason.  Even if you want to go with the more likely developmental prospect (to the degree all rookies aren't developmental) like Anthony Gordon, you'll have to take him a round earlier just to get him.  Even then, some other team is likely to have the same idea.  There's only so many of these men that can play QB in the NFL and you have to get aggressive to get a shot at them.  I'm not sure if Spielman and/or Zimmer are of that mindset like a lot of fans are.  I fully expect an extension for Cousins to be among the top priorities for Spielman.

Edited by Hyperborean

1 hour ago, Hyperborean said:

We would likely have to trade up to get a QB, whether that's trading up high in the first for Love or trading up in the second for Eason.  Even if you want to go with the more likely developmental prospect (to the degree all rookies aren't developmental) like Anthony Gordon, you'll have to take him a round earlier just to get him.  Even then, some other team is likely to have the same idea.  There's only so many of these men that can play QB in the NFL and you have to get aggressive to get a shot at them.  I'm not sure if Spielman and/or Zimmer are of that mindset like a lot of fans are.  I fully expect an extension for Cousins to be among the top priorities for Spielman.

Even if they do extend Cousins, which I believe they should do, they still should draft a QB that could potentially replace him.  But, in the extension of Cousins, they should protect themselves and make it an easier contract to trade after a year or 2.  

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

What you said makes sense, but the problem is, who will be available when we pick?  I admit that I haven't done a bit of research on any of the draft prospects at this point.

One site has the top 9 QB's draft expectations as follows:

1. Burrow top 5
  2. Tagovailoa top 10
  3. Herbert top 16
  4. Love rounds 1-3
  5. Fromm 2-3
  6. Eason 2-3
  7. Montez 3-5
  8. Hurts 3-5
  9. Morgan 3-5

Looks like a pretty good crop of QB's, it might not hurt to draft one in the mid-rounds.

1 hour ago, Hyperborean said:

Might we be better off just trading down (our 1st for an early 2nd plus change) and then using that 2nd round pick on a QB?  I see lots of talent in this draft, a lot of talent that might go late in the 1st might be available in the 2nd.

22 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Might we be better off just trading down (our 1st for an early 2nd plus change) and then using that 2nd round pick on a QB?  I see lots of talent in this draft, a lot of talent that might go late in the 1st might be available in the 2nd.

I expect Spielman to attempt to trade down from 25.  You always have to have a partner in a trade of course so it's not a sure thing.  

And you're right about guys dropping (Greedy Williams from last year comes to mind).  Somebody has to.