BayRaider's 2020 NFL Prospect Rankings 2.0 (Page 2)

BayRaider

2020 Prospect Rankings

Generational Prospects:

1. QB Joe Burrow - LSU
  2. QB Tua Tagovailoa - Alabama
  3. EDGE Chase Young - Ohio State

Blue Chip Prospects:

1. CB Jeff Okudah - Ohio State
  2. EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos - Penn State
  3. DT Derrick Brown - Auburn
  4. LB Isaiah Simmons - Clemson
  5. DT Javon Kinlaw - South Carolina
  6. OT Andrew Thomas - Georgia
  7. WR Jerry Jeudy – Alabama
  8. OT Jedrick Willis – Alabama

Upper Tier Prospects:

1. OT Mekhi Becton - Louisville
  2. WR Henry Ruggs III - Alabama
  3. QB Jordan Love - Utah State
  4. WR Brandon Aiyuk - Arizona State
  5. OT/G Tristan Wirfs - Iowa
  6. EDGE A.J. Epeneza – Iowa

Upper Tier Prospects w/ slight risk (minimal):

1. S Grant Delpit – LSU
  2. DT Ross Blacklock – TCU

1st Round Grade Prospects: (ends at 32 ironically)

1. CB CJ Henderson - Florida
  2. WR Tee Higgins – Clemson
  3. EDGE Julian Okwara - Notre Dame
  4. LB Patrick Queen - LSU
  5. RB D'Andre Swift – Georgia
  6. WR CeeDee Lamb – Oklahoma
  7. EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson - LSU
  8. S Xaiver McKinney - Alabama
  9. RB Jonathan Taylor - Wisconsin
  10. QB Jake Fromm - Georgia
  11. LB Kenneth Murray – Oklahoma
  12. CB Kristian Fulton – LSU
  13. WR KJ Hamler – Penn State

The Rest:

1. RB J.K. Dobbins – Ohio State
  2. CB Trevon Diggs - Alabama
  3. CB Damon Arnette – Ohio State
  4. S Ashtyn Davis – Cal
  5. OT Austin Jackson - USC
  6. CB Jeff Gladney – TCU
  7. DT Neville Gallimore – Oklahoma
  8. WR Justin Jefferson – LSU
  9. QB Jacob Eason – Washington
  10. C Tyler Biadadz – Wisconsin
  11. CB Bryce Hall – Virginia
  12. OT Josh Jones – Houston
  13. WR Laviska Shenault – Colorado
  14. TE Cole Kmet – Notre Dame
  15. LB Zack Baun – Wisconsin
  16. QB Justin Herbert – Oregon
  17. CB Jaylon Johnson – Utah
  18. EDGE Terrell Lewis - Alabama

Details:

- Please read all details before rushing to comment.

- These are solely my opinion and my rankings have no more value than yours. Especially if you took as much time as I did watching so much of their tape. I probably spent 30+ hours in total on this, not including all the live tape during the season.

- What did I use? Combination of Full Games and "Player vs Team" on Youtube which shows every snap against that team. I do miss draftbreakdown which had every snap of every player but they unfortunately shut down last year, cause the NCAA sucks.

- Personally, I absolutely love the Top 19 Prospects in my rankings. Which is why I bracketed it that way.

- Writing 50 Evaluations would take weeks, I really don't have that type of time, so I'll go into detail as much as I can below.

Explanations:

- I do think Burrow, Tua, and Chase are the three generational prospects in this draft, and yes I do have Burrow and Tua ahead of Chase. IMO Burrow and Tua are neck and neck. Tuas hip bothers me but absolutely not as much as most people. And if Tua didn't get injured and played all year? We'd be having Burrow/Tua debates. It's 1a and 1b for me. I think both will be Top 10 QBs in the NFL. Burrow may take more time to gel, especially if he goes to the Bengals. That OL is dreadful.. and it's the Bengals.. but I think Tua will succeed right away just about anywhere he goes. He has the mobility, intelligence, and all the tools to survive a bad situation if he goes into one. Chase I see a generational talent who should dominate in the NFL. I tried to get picky with his tape, but he's surprisingly pretty flawless. However, I do have him behind Myles Garrett and Nick Bosa from previous seasons. Even though quite a few will disagree with that, which is fine.

- Gross-Matos at 5...? What? Well, 1. I don't get influenced by other rankings, and 2. We are all usually gonna have that one guy we are just higher on than anyone else. I see Matos usually at 15-25 and DJ didn't have him ranked at all (although probably hasn't scouted him yet). Gross-Matos reminds me of a Aldon Smith clone. He's twitchy, his hands are extremely quick and very violent, his hip movement is fantastic, he's an excellent run defender, and he's an athletic freak. Great speed and solid power. Once he learns how to use his athleticism and power more, he could be really dominant in the NFL. I didn't even know about his story until after I ranked him. This ranking is purely on play. But I guess his his father/brother passed away and he has a terrific character.

- I've cooled on Queen a little but he's still my favorite LB in the draft. He'd be a fantastic LB in Nickel Formations. He's got solid coverage and takes good angles against the run. I would prefer if he put on a little weight as a true mike in a 4-3 Base, but he's a solid prospect. PFF is dead wrong on this guy (think he's their LB6).

WR's:

- I think Jeudy is a blue chip prospect. Route running, especially the way he bursts off the top of a route, is the best in this class by far. He has solid speed, probably around a 4.43ish 40 time. He's aggressive catching the football and also has Amaris YAC ability and overall elusiveness. He's a stud. Comp: 75% Chad Johnson 25% Amari Cooper.

- Ruggs is obviously the fastest WR and has good height. He's a solid well rounded receiver as well. Can run solid routes and aggressive at getting the football. Comp: Tyreek Hill.

- I love Brandon Aiyuk. He's personally neck and neck for me with Ruggs. I think Aiyuk will run between a 4.37 to 4.43 at the combine, he is explosively fast and another well rounded WR that is being extremely slept on. I expect him to climb, climb climb. He's a solid route runner, solid at pinpointing the ball, solid hands, solid on all three levels of the field and a dynamic weapon, and his ability to change direction so fluidly is outstanding. He is a fantastic deep threat but his best route by far is the skinny post. Think of a 8-12 yard type of post basically. And what he does with that route after catching is he can keep going right, go forward, or completely go in the opposition direction with absolutely no effort or delay. He isn't the most physical guy in the world which is a concern but I have hopes this will improve at the next level. No comp.

- Tee Higgins has grown on me a lot and I do think he has the potential to be a Low Tier WR1. He should be at least a Upper Tier WR2. He's pretty well rounded, jump ball master, great at using his hands, should run around a 4.51ish, and would be a fantastic redzone threat, something the Raiders are desperately lacking. Higgins at the end of the endzone would be absolutely deadly. I'd have no issue with him at 19 what so ever. No comp.

- A lot of people think I don't like Lamb but that's not true. I really like Lamb actually. It's just an i-n-s-a-n-e WR class and he happens to be my WR5. Lamb may be the most overall well rounded, or perhaps 1b to Jeudy in that regard. Terrific route runner, extremely physical, the most physical WR in the draft, will defeat press coverage, should be dominant on 3rd downs. My only worry about Lamb is his speed which could cause separation issues and overall long speed issues. I predicted a 4.55 - 4.58 40 and more of the latter, but if he runs a 4.52 - 4.53 he may shoot up for me. At least ahead of Higgins. Comp: 65% Stefon Diggs 35% Davante Adams.

- KJ Hamler is a very explosive slot WR and also can play on the outside. Well rounded (I know.. this class is full of "well rounded" WRs) and doesn't really have many flaws in his game overall, he is very refined. Obviously he is small at 5'9" and will be limited on what he can do in the NFL. However, to me, he is Desean Jackson. Literally plays exactly like him. Should run between a 4.31 and 4.36. He's pretty dang fast.

Jordan Love:

- You guys know I like Jordan Love quite a bit.

Pocket Presence: A

Mobility: B

Escape: B-

Play Extension: B+

Processing Speed: C+

Understanding of Defenses: C (This is how majority of his INTs happen, also understanding of defenses is the most correctable thing at the next level).

Arm: A

Under Pressure: B+

Toughness: A

Release: A-

Mechanics: B+

Short/Medium Accuracy: B+

Deep Accuracy: B-

He also has something that I haven't seen from any other QB ever except Mahomes. Throwing from weird angles and completely contorted and firing off accurate lasers. Not that I think he will be anything close to Mahomes as a QB. I dont.

Jake Fromm:

Someone I'm high on more than most. Don't get me wrong, I think Fromm probably is a 20-22ish ranked QB in the league on most NFL Teams. However, like almost QBs, it all depends what system and offense they play in. Jake Fromm was born to play in a timing scheme like the Saints, Patriots, or a WCO like the.....Raiders! I think on these three football teams, Fromm could be a Top 10-12 QB. He will probably not make it past the Saints in the 2nd Round. Fromms arm being weak is blown out of proportion. Dalton, Burrow, and Fromm all have similar arms in my honest opinion. Are you gonna have a vertical offense with Fromm? God no, that'd be suicide. But in the offenses I mentioned, he's an ideal fit. Fromm is almost on par with Burrow with Football IQ, but the edge goes to Burrow on that one. Fromm has the best pocket presence in this class. Literally A+ Pocket Presence. And he's a tremendous leader with tons of charisma. Players will love this guy. He's also very accurate, as long he's not throwing into a tight window.

Justin Herbert:

I see Herbert as a slightly lesser version of Josh Allen. He's mobile, laser arm, and can look fairly good when he's "on". But there are way way too many red flags for me. Major accuracy issues, questionable mechanics, average pocket presence and will require a Top 5 OL, and is bad under pressure. These last two flaws were masked by Oregon having one of the best Offensive Lines in the history of the NCAA. And a lesser concern, but still a concern, many question Herberts passion and to a lesser extent, his leadership. In interviews, doesn't seem like he overly cares about football, and he is also clearly an introvert and has zero charisma. Not that there's anything wrong with being an introvert, but you do have to lead an offense.

What's up with Delpit and Blacklock?

I think they are terrific prospects and I love both of them. Both just have some minor risk involved. Delpit's tackling has been notoriously bad... which is a problem. But everything else in Delpits game is literally Grade A. He's fantastic. And his tackling problems evaporated in the CFB playoffs.

Blacklock has grown on me over the past week. He is an elite run defender as soon as he steps on the field imo, his ability to get off that block is pretty dang good. Almost instant at times. As for a pass rusher, he's your prototypical 3T in a 4-3. He is nothing else but a 3T in a 4-3. That's Blacklock. But I have no issues with that, because he is a fantastic 3T. He has an array of moves, one of the most twitchy 3T's I've ever seen, and usually knocks back his opponent instantly with power alas Chris Jones. He gets eliminated with double teams unlike the Donalds/Jones of the world, but on a great DL, Blacklock can be a Pro Bowler and absolute stud. 

The Strange Case of Fulton:

So Fulton is ranked 31 but it kind of averages out a bit because I think as a pure nickel corner, he can be an absolute stud, and a Top 15 type prospect when we look back at the draft in a few years. He's ridiculously similar to A.J. Bouye who was a dominant nickel corner and progressed into a dominant outside corner. Fulton on the inside is extremely dominant... he'll be a fantastic nickel CB right away and he does indeed have the tools and potential to be a solid outside CB as well. Although, at the moment, if you put him on the outside I don't even think he's a Top 7 CB in this class. He gets beat consistently.

High on Okwara:

As a 3-4 Edge Rusher, I absolutely love Okwara. I think he'll be a dominant 3-4 Edge guy in the NFL. He possesses all the tools and skills to play that position. Pats would be an excellent fit.

Cornerbacks are scheme dependent creatures:

Everything from Henderson to Jaylon Johnson is all, what kind of CB fits your defense? CJ Henderson is pretty dang good in coverage, the best of the bunch besides Okudah. He excels in man coverage and off coverage. He's ok in press but needs to add more strength. He's also good in zone. Not a physical run defender. Henderson can probably fit most schemes..

Want a physical press/man corner who is a solid run defender? Arnette and Gladney are your guys. And Gladney is extremely fast. Although my issue with Gladney is he gets extremely grabby down field, almost all the dang time. Penalties incoming. Other than that, Gladney is solid.

Want a guy who can do man on huge WRs and TEs and blanket them, and also is extremely good in zone coverage? Trevon Diggs is your man. Very good at both. He'd be terrific in a zone scheme and a zone team will probably draft him. Although he's gonna get burnt by the faster guys when in man coverage. I personally wouldn't draft him when we play KC 2x a year.

Ideal Mocks for Raiders:

In order from favorite to least favorite:

12. DT Javon Kinlaw

19. WR Brandon Aiyuk (would take Ruggs if available)

12. LB Isaiah Simmons

19. DT Ross Blacklock

12. WR Jerry Jeudy

19. LB Patrick Queen

12. QB Jordan Love

19. WR Brandon Aiyuk

12. WR Henry Ruggs III

19. LB Patrick Queen

I would have zero issues with Jordan Love at 12. We will have to see how the QB situation unravels. It's just hard to imagine drafting Love at 12 if we have Brady or even Carr. With Brady, we are going all in 2020 for a Super Bowl. No question. All chips in. So we will probably wait until the next draft for a QB. If we choose Carr, we will probably give him a WR and draft defense. Then maybe try to get Fromm or Eason in the 2nd is my prediction.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

I like how you have zero F’s What other people have the prospects ranked and did your own Eval’s.  There’s always pressure to go with consensus opinion for the most part but you seemed to have watched your tape and stuck to your opinions.

Blacklock- he was like a consensus 4th/5th and I watched him play and said 3rd round, despite seeing 2nd Rd on tape.  Now he’s finally rising.

• Like 1

I've watched no film or highlights and have many of them ranked the same. Love I wouldn't touch til 3rd as 2018 could be like Carr's 2016. Just a great season. Then throw in the recent drug stuff and I'd maybe wait til 4th. Hope he goes top 10 with Herbert too and a few Olinemen as that means more for us to choose from @ 12 & 19. I think Mahomes and Jackson has moved up players who probably need to sit and develop and 1st round in a deep draft is not the place to take a risk to develop. 3rd hell yea but not 1st. You even said he's not 'close' to Pat so obviously QB's have moved up even more as I've seen many picking Love early 1st round.

I'm higher on Lamb but a slow 40 will move him down. Gross Matos I've picked at 19 many times on Fanspeak even with Salt and Pepper on the team. I think Justin Tuck and read his stats suffered because he played NT a lot. Shows toughness and team attitude and pass rush is still needed so I'm good with YGM @19 

I really like your break downs of why you did what you did because like I said. I've watched no film/highlights and you're giving a detailed description of your observations. Great job overall and nice mock possibilities if blank draft blank.

See, if you don’t just obsess with Loves TD/INT Ratio in 2019, you’ll understand he’s not that much of a project. A year of sitting and I think he’ll be fine and a possible Top 10 QB in the NFL. He has every tool you want. In 2019 he lost his only good WR and literally all of his coaches. He was throwing into non-existent windows and also still trying to understand his scheme. For his 2019 tape, just gotta watch, and not look at the box score. It’s still ridiculously impressive. INTs has nothing to do with Loves accuracy. Zero. He is one of the most accurate QBs in this class. Can you go into detail why you’d draft Love in the 3rd? You even said yourself you’ve barely watched any film, so it’s hard for me to imagine you forming such an extreme opinion. Love won’t get out of the 1st. 

Like you literally started off your post “I haven’t watched any tape or highlights” so how do you have an opinion on Love at all? It’s confusing to me. You can’t look at someones stats and form an opinion. Especially someone at Utah State. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

See, if you don’t just obsess with Loves TD/INT Ratio in 2019, you’ll understand he’s not that much of a project. A year of sitting and I think he’ll be fine and a possible Top 10 QB in the NFL. He has every tool you want. In 2019 he lost his only good WR and literally all of his coaches. He was throwing into non-existent windows and also still trying to understand his scheme. For his 2019 tape, just gotta watch, and not look at the box score. It’s still ridiculously impressive. INTs has nothing to do with Loves accuracy. Zero. He is one of the most accurate QBs in this class. Can you go into detail why you’d draft Love in the 3rd? You even said yourself you’ve barely watched any film, so it’s hard for me to imagine you forming such an extreme opinion. Love won’t get out of the 1st. 

Even though I don't entirely agree with this, I am going to help you out, Bay. If Mayock picks him, then I will be okay with it.

https://nfldraftrite.com/2020/01/28/why-you-should-throw-out-jordan-loves-2019-film/

11 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Even though I don't entirely agree with this, I am going to help you out, Bay. If Mayock picks him, then I will be okay with it.

https://nfldraftrite.com/2020/01/28/why-you-should-throw-out-jordan-loves-2019-film/

The main reason for his INTs is:

1) He still needs work understanding defenses. No one is disputing that. 

2) Every throw in the 2019 season was a tight window. Literally. That’s not over exaggerated. It was like Tom Bradys WR core this year, but way wayyyy worse.

He is one of the most accurate throwers in college football. His INTs have nothing to do with accuracy. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The main reason for INTs is:

1) He still needs work understanding defenses. No one is disputing that.

2) Every throw in the 2019 season was a tight window. Literally. That’s not over exaggerated. It was like Tom Bradys WR core this year, but way wayyyy worse.

He is one of the most accurate throwers in college football. His INTs have nothing to do with accuracy.

This is true.

I think Jordan Love is a prisoner of his own talent. When he sees his 1st read, he is trying to figure out what kind of throw he can make to get the ball there. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When I watched his bowl game, there were a few times that he went through his progressions. But most of the time he forces passes to his 1st read. If he became a Raider, Gruden would have to beat it into him not to force things and to read coverages better.

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Like you literally started off your post “I haven’t watched any tape or highlights” so how do you have an opinion on Love at all? It’s confusing to me. You can’t look at someones stats and form an opinion. Especially someone at Utah State. 

Forming an opinion is just that...Forming an opinion. I factor in patterns from past drafts and today's 'hype'

Dan Marino slipped to the last pick in the 1st because of his last season in college not being better than the one before. Progression is what you judge players on, especially QB's. Carr hasn't progressed as much as we'd like so he's now 'lucky to net us a pick' if you read some posts elsewhere.

Add drug issues and it drops you another round if not take you off some boards. Especially months before your biggest interview.

He was ranked higher to start the season and he dropped because his box score is horrendous. Like 5th round pick horrendous.

PM is a GREAT QB. Lamar has a great season leading a team to wins. This creates a hype to throw a rookie in and have instant success hence 'hype'

Tua and Burrow are the only QB's worth a 1st, all the rest are 3rd or later IMO because they all need to develop. I'll bet there aren't only 2 drafted in the first and possibly 5. Just because a team like the Colts might reach for a QB doesn't mean we should jump them. I'll root for whoever is our QB but I think it's dumb to reach for one. Team has many needs and 1st round picks are for starters. 2nd's for next years starters and 3rd/4th to develop hence why I say 3rd/4th for Love

• Like 1

Ross Blacklock had an achilles injury in 2018 that cause him to miss the year. He came back for 2019 and played well but an entire missed year I wouldn't put in the minimal risk tier.

This class is talented enough I think he is a second day prospect still because he has a red flag like the achilles. Only bringing it up because you have him as minimal risk and kinda rated as if there is no concern from how I read it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Ross Blacklock had an achilles injury in 2018 that cause him to miss the year. He came back for 2019 and played well but an entire missed year I wouldn't put in the minimal risk tier.

This class is talented enough I think he is a second day prospect still because he has a red flag like the achilles. Only bringing it up because you have him as minimal risk and kinda rated as if there is no concern from how I read it.

Fair enough. 

2 hours ago, G said:

Forming an opinion is just that...Forming an opinion. I factor in patterns from past drafts and today's 'hype'

Dan Marino slipped to the last pick in the 1st because of his last season in college not being better than the one before. Progression is what you judge players on, especially QB's. Carr hasn't progressed as much as we'd like so he's now 'lucky to net us a pick' if you read some posts elsewhere.

Add drug issues and it drops you another round if not take you off some boards. Especially months before your biggest interview.

He was ranked higher to start the season and he dropped because his box score is horrendous. Like 5th round pick horrendous.

PM is a GREAT QB. Lamar has a great season leading a team to wins. This creates a hype to throw a rookie in and have instant success hence 'hype'

Tua and Burrow are the only QB's worth a 1st, all the rest are 3rd or later IMO because they all need to develop. I'll bet there aren't only 2 drafted in the first and possibly 5. Just because a team like the Colts might reach for a QB doesn't mean we should jump them. I'll root for whoever is our QB but I think it's dumb to reach for one. Team has many needs and 1st round picks are for starters. 2nd's for next years starters and 3rd/4th to develop hence why I say 3rd/4th for Love

We will strongly disagree which is fine, especially since you’ve barely watched any tape on him. I have a Top 15 Grade on Jordan Love.