what is our offensive identity?

mar29020

12 hours ago, Woz said:

To have an identity you have to know your self. To know your self you need to have introspection. This implies self evaluation and thought.

You believe our coaching staff can do that?

It starts from the top.  The front office has no plan therefore the team has no identity.

I don't agree that the front office doesn't have a plan. The Redskins have been building mostly through the draft since Shanahan and Allen were hired in 2010, it has been continued under Allen's 2 years when having total control in the offseason and in the two years where  McCloughan was here.

Thats the damn plan! Then, they've been adding affordable free agents to fill out the roster where they can, but not overspending for the most expensive free agents as they are giving the players we've drafted the chance to develop into stars and hopefully superstars.

Just because we don't like Bruce Allen, doesn't mean that we should be blind to how the Redskins roster has been built since his arrival. 

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Come on Turtle, you don't dislike Bruce at all. 

Quit saying this crap. It's NOT true. I don't like Bruce but I'm not going to be a whiny you know what all the time about something that isn't going to change and when he does something that works, I'm going to be man enough to say it was right in that decision, even if I don't like him personally.

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

To guys under 5'8 lol

I don't understand what the hell Kirk was doing on those fades and Gruden ripped Kirk for it. On one of them on the opposite side of the field he had Crowder for an easy TD on a slant or shallow cross. He didn't even look that way, he panicked and threw to Thompson when Thompson had no chance to get that pass.

And why is Kirk/Jay forcing fades to Doctson? Doctson has what 2 or 3 targets all year? If that? And he's missed more practice time and preseason games than he's played in. There's no reason he should be our redzone target at this point. It was a bad pass by Kirk and he didn't even do a 3 step drop - just one and throw - but we need to throw fades to Reed or Pryor before Doctson.

Give Doctson the easy stuff first to get some chemistry w/ Kirk, like how about a slant in the redzone to Doctson instead of the hardest pass to complete in the entire playbook?

ughh ??>:(

On 9/21/2017 at 11:33 PM, lavar703 said:

Bruce Allen should be punched in the face for letting Garçon go. What an idiot. 

No, Bruce Allen should just be punched in the face on principle.

Letting Garcon go without even trying to re-sign him? That deserves a kick in the crotch.

9 hours ago, Woz said:

No, Bruce Allen should just be punched in the face on principle.

Letting Garcon go without even trying to re-sign him? That deserves a kick in the crotch.

Used to be the motto amongst most in this forum and most in Redskins nation that we wanted to build through the draft and not sign or re-sign players over 30 to huge contracts?

Why the change in opinion?

Garcon is a good wr no doubt.  He had a good game vs a secondary that Cousins should have tourched for over 300 yards and 3 or 4 TDs but Cousins missed some reads intermediate to deep that could have been a few TDs and over 100 yards for Doctson, threw a bad ball to Doctson on the fade which would have been a TD, over trew Thompson once onwhat could have been a TD and Pryor had another drop.

While I like Garçon as a player, I've always thought he was overpaid by us and now the 49ers. He wasn't worth $10 million the last 3 years. For that much $, he should have having 80-90 recs, 1100 yds and 8 to 10 TDs.

I do agree he, Djax & Baker shouldn't have been offered contracts but I don't think we would have kept any of them - especially the WRs given their age and the contracts they received from other teams. Out of the 3 the one we miss the most is clearly Djax because of his deep play ability but at the same time, he wasn't a complete wr which hurt our O in other ways. So, with him it was a mixed bag.

I have no problem moving on from both WRs & Baker for younger players with more potential. Yes, we are suffering some growing pains in the beginning of the season because:

1. Cousins always struggles the first few games of the season, which SUCKS.

2. Cousins is working with new WRs and doesn't trust them as he did Garçon and Djax.

3. TP's 3 or 4 drops have hurt our O & Cousins' few overthrows.

All this being said, we are very close to exploding on offense. Our running game getting going last week was a great surprise and it will make teams have to respect it - at least early in games - for the time being. Also, I have to hope TP's drops won't continue. If he tracks the ball better on Cousins' deep shot vs the Eagles,  doesn't have the few drops and Reed doesn't get called for holding, Pryor has 8 or 9 receptions for around 200 yards and 2 TDs vs the Eagles. So, the plays are there to be made, I have to hope they'll be made in the future. 

I guess you're argument would be though - and if it's a valid one - that if Garçon was playing for us still or Djax they would have caught the balls vs the Eagles & Cousins would have thrown to them vs the Rams where he turned down deeper throws to Doctson because he doesn't trust him and we would have blown out the Eagles & Rams.

I guess that is probably likely, but let's not forget that Cousins does start slow and off target with bad footwork and timing the start of every season. I'm sure it would have been better if Djax and/or Garçon were still with us but how much better, we don't know and would have been worth their contracts? I'm not so sure about that. 

Pierre Garcon signed a 5 year, $47.5 million contract with the 49ers, including a $12 million signing bonus w/ $20 million guaranteed. Usually, the Redskins fan base - particularly this forum - would be going nuts if we gave this contract to a 31 year old.

Or this one:

DeSean Jackson signed a 3 year, $33 million  contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including $20 million guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,166,667. In 2017, Jackson will earn a base salary of $6 million and a roster bonus of $6 million, while carrying a cap hit of $12.5 million and he has a $11 million cap hit next year!

With that $ we've signed Pryor, two DL, Zach Brown and Swearinger! So, we've sacrificed having an elite passing game yes, but our D looks to be much improved. Hopefully our passing game gets on track in the coming weeks and if we continue a commitment to the run w/ a hopefully improved passing game then we'll really have a complete team.

Archived