The new CBA brings a huge opportunity

pf9

Right now, the NFL's OT system has two flaws:

1. Games are still permitted to end in ties, even if teams score in OT

2. A team can lose without possessing the ball in OT if they allow a touchdown

The NFLPA should advocate the adoption of college OT rules in the new CBA. This would eliminate ties and give each team one possession at least beyond the 4th quarter.

Plus now college OT games revert to a 2-point conversion shootout beginning in 5OT to shorten games.

Some of the greatest college games of the last 20+ years have been OT thrillers. As an OSU fan I can testify to this.

14 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't understand why people like the college rules so much. 

If they wanted to start each drive on your own 40 yardline, then maybe, but starting on the other teams 25 is child's play. This is the NFL 

I'd rather start it on the 20. Make teams go the long way to score. Even then I think the way college OT works is dumb, but starting on the 25 is really dumb.

No overtime in regular season games, ties only. Make teams really consider going for it on 4th down late in games, or going for 2 pt conversions for the win. Post-season, it's just an extra quarter. If at the beginning of OT you go on a 12 play 75 yard drive, you still have another 8 minutes left to hold the fort down.

I just thought up a spur of the moment way to handle OT.

Each team starts at the opponents 25. (75 Yards to Goal)

Each team gets 1 drive to score a TD. If they both do, whichever team did so in fewer plays wins, if neither team does the team that made it closer to the endzone wins. If a team fails to convert on 4th down, then their drive is over.
There'd need to be some sudden death mechanic if they both score in the same number of plays.

39 minutes ago, Danger said:

I just thought up a spur of the moment way to handle OT.

Each team starts at the opponents 25. (75 Yards to Goal)

Each team gets 1 drive to score a TD. If they both do, whichever team did so in fewer plays wins, if neither team does the team that made it closer to the endzone wins. If a team fails to convert on 4th down, then their drive is over.
There'd need to be some sudden death mechanic if they both score in the same number of plays.

This would be brutal. Teams like the Chiefs would have a massive advantage whereas teams like Tennessee or SF would be screwed. The system sucks, but this would make it worse. 

I love college OT. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

This would be brutal. Teams like the Chiefs would have a massive advantage whereas teams like Tennessee or SF would be screwed. The system sucks, but this would make it worse. 

I love college OT. 

College OT is too easy and just inflates offensive numbers and can leave teams on the field way too long. How would that give the Chiefs an advantage? If your team is better defensively then you have a better chance of stopping a team sooner.

The point is we want to keep OT equal for both sides, but also keep it brief. Perhaps make it 3 downs and you're out instead of 4. The # of plays thing is just a tiebreaker.

Edited by Danger

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

College OT is too easy and just inflates offensive numbers and can leave teams on the field way too long. How would that give the Chiefs an advantage? If your team is better defensively then you have a better chance of stopping a team sooner.

The point is we want to keep OT equal for both sides, but also keep it brief. Perhaps make it 3 downs and you're out instead of 4. The # of plays thing is just a tiebreaker.

Because the Chiefs offense is built on quick strikes. The Titans are methodical and patient. They would be punished for their patient offense despite being just as effective?

I don’t understand the college fb hate. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Because the Chiefs offense is built on quick strikes. The Titans are methodical and patient. They would be punished for their patient offense despite being just as effective?

I don’t understand the college fb hate. 

I like College FB more than the NFL, but the OT there is just too chaotic, and can go on way too long.

If you need to change OT for the playoffs then make it each team gets a possession even in the case of a TD. (solved)

/sarcasm font/

If its still tied after 5 quarters then they can play darts, billiards, or drinking games because they have as much to do with football as starting on the other team's 25 yard line.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1