The new CBA brings a huge opportunity

pf9

10 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

If you need to change OT for the playoffs then make it each team gets a possession even in the case of a TD. (solved)

/sarcasm font/

If its still tied after 5 quarters then they can play darts, billiards, or drinking games because they have as much to do with football as starting on the other team's 25 yard line.

I will say this. College OT is more exciting and dramatic, but it's nor representative of how football games actually should play out. If the NFL were to adopt a style such as the one in College, they should move it back to the 40 yard lines, and eliminate Kicking Extra Points from the get go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Just play another quarter. No gimmicks, no fancy rules - put up another 15 minutes and let them play it out.

This but only for the playoffs. I think ending regular season games in ties makes things interesting in the 4th quarter. If you're down 28-21 with 5 minutes left and the ball at your own 25 - you have to seriously be thinking about going for the 2 PT conversion. The likelihood you score, get the XP, and then get the ball back and get a game winning field goal with time left is extremely difficult. While a tie is technically worth half a win, that's also worth half a loss and that can extra tie can really hurt you down the stretch (losing the division at 10-5-1 to the 11-5 team, for instance). Unless you string together 2-3 ties in a season, a single tie is effectively a loss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hukos said:

This but only for the playoffs. I think ending regular season games in ties makes things interesting in the 4th quarter. If you're down 28-21 with 5 minutes left and the ball at your own 25 - you have to seriously be thinking about going for the 2 PT conversion. The likelihood you score, get the XP, and then get the ball back and get a game winning field goal with time left is extremely difficult. While a tie is technically worth half a win, that's also worth half a loss and that can extra tie can really hurt you down the stretch (losing the division at 10-5-1 to the 11-5 team, for instance). Unless you string together 2-3 ties in a season, a single tie is effectively a loss.

This ...

Not sure why anyone would want to eliminate ties. Apart from anything else its a far better tiebreaker for standings than strength of schedule or any of that nonsense.

14 hours ago, Dome said:

Get rid of regular season OT... if you don’t win in regulation it’s a tie 

college rules for NFL ot in the playoffs 

That's a very dumb proposal. 

There would be too many ties within the regular season.  

We had that one season a few years back in which a lot of games ended within 3 points or less.  

By your proposal, almost every game would've ended in a tie that season. 

Yeah, we really shouldn't do that.  

I would probably keep the overtime rules as they currently are right now. 

I was originally in favor of making it more like college, but it makes much more sense to just keep it as it is because of the many high powered offenses in the league nowadays.  

If the possessing team scores a TD and wins the game on the first possession, then that is the opposing defense's fault for not keeping them out of the endzone.  

If you were to hand the opposing offense the ball so that they have an equal chance, then it could end up in a 15 minute shootout that ends in a tie anyway.

The current rules are more effective in declaring a clear winner.  That's why they shouldn't change it.  

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

That's a very dumb proposal. 

There would be too many ties within the regular season.  

We had that one season a few years back in which a lot of games ended within 3 points or less.  

By your proposal, almost every game would've ended in a tie that season. 

Yeah, we really shouldn't do that.  

“Too many ties” is subjective

so I think YOU are the one with the very dumb proposal

what a stalemate we’ve found ourselves in 

Really though @RamblinMan99, there’s something you’re not considering if you just go “we had x many game go to OT on this certain year, that way too many games to have end in a tie”

I understand that point but what you’re not taking into consideration is how many of those games ended as a tie in regulation because the teams gave up or went ultra conservative  with 2 minutes to play, knowing they had OT still. 

if they know they don’t have an extra quarter, they play differently and the outcome may change. 

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, Dome said:

if they know they don’t have an extra quarter, they play differently and the outcome may change. 

If economics has proven anything, incentives matter (IE, if you want people to stop consuming sugar, tax sugar more, etc.). Change the incentives, and you change people's behavior. Teams settle for OT because they think they have a better shot in OT than getting one last drive in regulation. Remove that and you'd see a lot of change in how teams operate in the 4th quarter.

56 minutes ago, Hukos said:

If economics has proven anything, incentives matter (IE, if you want people to stop consuming sugar, tax sugar more, etc.). Change the incentives, and you change people's behavior. Teams settle for OT because they think they have a better shot in OT than getting one last drive in regulation. Remove that and you'd see a lot of change in how teams operate in the 4th quarter.

That’s what I was saying, yes. You expounded on it eloquently.

Edited by Dome