What does Rivers have to do to make the HoF?

patriotsheatyan

What does Rivers have to do to make the HoF?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What does Rivers have to do to make the HoF?

• Nothing; he will make it with his current accomplishments
    • A couple more solid if unspectacular seasons
    • Two seasons with either playoff success or very good numbers
    • Something great is still required, like a SB win, an MVP, or obscene longevity to break various all time records

He could retire tomorrow and money is that he will get in. Guy was consistent throughout his entire career, playing above average for the majority of it.

Young talent comes and goes, sometimes with all the promise in the world until one bad injury and a drastic decline. Not Rivers, though.

He has been a truly great QB (10+ years of 4k+ yards and around 30~ TD) and it's enough IMO to get him in.

Edited by lolsurebro

Needs 1 more season to finish Top 5 in passing yards and TDs. He'd stay Top 10 for the forseeable future while waiting for induction.

The historical precedents are the following:

Dave Krieg retired 8th in TDs & Yards and didn't sniff the Hall. He made 3 Pro Bowls and went 3-6 in playoffs so certainly below Rivers resume.

Sonny Jurgensen retired 3rd in TDs and 4th in yards and appeared in only 1 playoff game, made it on his 4th ballot. Lead the league in yards five times and TDs twice with 5 Pro Bowls and two First Teams.

It really depends on which of the two Rivers is closer to.

8 Pro Bowls, Lead league in yards and TDs once each (separate seasons) with 123-101 record in regular season and 5-6 in playoffs making 1 conference title game. You also have to look at his peers. In his favor is the fact Manning retired well before him but against him is the fact Brady, Eli, Ben and Brees are going to be real close to his initial induction years. You also have to throw in Rodgers who probably doesn't have that many years left. That's 5 guys clearly ahead of him on the pecking order for his position. Depending on backlog you also have Matt Ryan who could come up ahead of him too.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 9:52 PM, megatechpc said:

I really think the days of QBs getting in the HOF without at least one championship are over.  Ryan will absolutely end up with HOF stats by the time he retires but he'll never have a chance of overcoming 28-3 unless he hoists the Lombardi.  I actually think Rivers' career thus far is inferior to Ryan's and I don't see how he even is considered for the HOF without a ring?  His postseason success has been almost nonexistent and at least Ryan has gotten his team to a SB (and nearly two).

I agree with this. Over the last 20 years or so there have been a dozen or so guys with better peaks, more playoff success, or both. no order

1. Brady
  2. Peyton
  3. Brees
  4. Rodgers
  5. Favre
  6. Warner
  7. Eli
  8. Ben
  9. Russell
  10. Ryan
  11. Romo

Rivers is the type of guy who is super unlikely to be a first ballot HOF. Probably not even within 10 years of eligibility, he just hasn’t had the type of success that would earn him the right to get in quickly.

I could see him get the HOF ring eventually (maybe 15-20 years of eligibility at best) or that timeline could be pushed up if he wins a SB, or even get to another conference championship game.

He needs a crown jewel.  A championship ring, or an MVP type season.

I think realistically, he'll make it in eventually just on what he's already done.  But i think it speaks volumes that after as many highly productive seasons as he's had...the most notable thing about him, is his involvement in the whole Eli Manning draft mess.

16 hours ago, Malik said:

I agree with this. Over the last 20 years or so there have been a dozen or so guys with better peaks, more playoff success, or both. no order

1. Brady
  2. Peyton
  3. Brees
  4. Rodgers
  5. Favre
  6. Warner
  7. Eli
  8. Ben
  9. Russell
  10. Ryan
  11. Romo

Horrible list. Rivers has had better peaks than most of those guys. Romo hasnt had either better than Rivers. Outside Ryans 1 anamoly season of 2016, he isnt even that close of what Rivers has done. 

Rivers is in, as is. If say he goes next year and wins a SB his first year away from the Chargers... anyone with an ounce of logical compacity will have to reassess him as a top 6 qb all time and see how much GOAT potential was wasted dying on the Chargers.