What does Rivers have to do to make the HoF?

patriotsheatyan

What does Rivers have to do to make the HoF?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What does Rivers have to do to make the HoF?

• Nothing; he will make it with his current accomplishments
    • A couple more solid if unspectacular seasons
    • Two seasons with either playoff success or very good numbers
    • Something great is still required, like a SB win, an MVP, or obscene longevity to break various all time records

On 2/24/2020 at 9:10 AM, bucksavage1 said:

Rivers will be one of those players that will take 5-10 years to get in the hall of fame after being eligible

Agree. He's not a first ballot guy, but he's getting in eventually.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Now do all that taking out the 2016 "anamoly season" and see how "not that close it is".

Take out that outlier 2016 season and its

3 probowls vs 8

1 season with 100 plus passer rating vs 5

Its 2-5 playoff record for Ryan vs 5-6 for Rivers.

Two 30 plus td seasons vs 6.

Rivers hasnt had an outlier season that beefed up his resume like Ryan. Rivers has had a great peak, high medium with an avg low. He has been insanely consistent. 

I respect Ryan... because like Peyton and Rivers.... Ryan and Rivers on a lessor level than Peyton have done it without a single coach attached to them and with multiple bad coaches.. which is huge and insanely enough people UNDERRATE to nearing alarming rates. But outside an outlier season to his norm that really top loaded his resume... he hasnt been as close to Rivers as some people pretend.

So you just ignore the fact that he had the same "outlier" seasons in 2012 and 2018 as well?  I mean, its not really an outlier if he had similar seasons in other years as well.  And at any rate, why are you not counting the "outlier" season?  Did he not do all of those things?  Hell, is Eli Manning not about to go to the HOF based entirely on his TWO outlier seasons???  

34 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

So you just ignore the fact that he had the same "outlier" seasons in 2012 and 2018 as well?  I mean, its not really an outlier if he had similar seasons in other years as well.  And at any rate, why are you not counting the "outlier" season?  Did he not do all of those things?  Hell, is Eli Manning not about to go to the HOF based entirely on his TWO outlier seasons???  

This is illogical. Eli has the last name Manning and his two outliers were Superbowls over the greatest dynasty ever. And even he probably shouldnt  be in, but he will.

5 hours ago, Malik said:

Rivers had a 105 passer rating in his game against the Steelers. Now you know all those stats were achieved in garbage time. The same thing happened in the Broncos game. They were down 3 scores in the 4th quarter. 

Marino, Young, Rodgers, Wilson and Montana all broke 100. What are you talking about. 

Sorry garbage time stats is the weakest argurment ever. Especially vs Rivers who has the most 16 plus point comebacks in 2nd half of games in NFL history.

I didnt check them, i 100% dont take your word for it so i will check for myself and see. So, so far only Peyton's peak was better. 

2 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Outlier in terms of stacking his resume with; an all pro, mvp, opoy and sb berth. It was an outlier season. That's not Ryans career. You take out that outlier and his resume doesnt stack up to Rivers.

Rivers has no outliers. 

HOF careers shouldnt be about stationary or outlier moments... or propelling one player over another based on those. Consistency should be the most important thing. Consistently great... that is Rivers. Never an all time marquee season. But was consistently great.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Bro - you say that like Norv Turner hasnt had a lot of success with QBs in the past. Its literally the only thing he is good at.

That said - I do agree that Matt Ryan should not be comped to Rivers. Ryan was a mid tier flacco level QB the bulk of his career. Rivers was always good. 

Norv had success as a coordinator, one time way back when, with the Cowboys. Outside that, when has he done well? 

In Norv's 28 years as HC or OC, he had had SIX 4000 yd passers.... 5 of those 6 were Rivers.

In 28 of those years,  8 times a top 5 scoring offense. 5 of those 28 was with Rivers.

Edited by Bearerofnews

4 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Norv had success as a coordinator, one time way back when, with the Cowboys. Outside that, when has he done well? 

In Norv's 28 years as HC or OC, he had had SIX 4000 yd passers.... 5 of those 6 were Rivers.

In 28 of those years,  8 times a top 5 scoring offense. 5 of those 28 was with Rivers.

Using passing yards is a terrible barometer. But, he did will with Aikman, Rivers, Newton and I am sure others that I am too lazy to look up. 

19 hours ago, braylon said:

I am blown away by the fact that multiple posters in this thread have said Ryan > Rivers. Ryan is the most overrated player I have seen in my time as a fan of the NFL.

One thing is for sure, Rivers gets a lot more excuses than Ryan & perhaps every other player in the history of the NFL.

It’s always the FO’s fault or Nate Kaeding’s fault or Marlon McCree’s fault for Rivers’ constant failures when the moment matters the most. Always.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

The guy has 0 All Pros. The HOF should be reserved for the very best. 

All pros are overrated. The associated press votes on them. Cam and Lamar have as many all pros as Brees.

Brees, Brady and Rodgers combined had 1 less all pro than Peyton alone. Since when did people start valuing all pros.