Sign in to follow this  
KC_Guy

2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Tight Ends

An Overview:

A small group, but an important one in Andy Reid's scheme. However, the Chiefs use two-TE sets much less than generally believed - and if so then generally one of them is blocking deep down the field. That said, having good to excellent blockers as #2 and 3 is paramount.

The Players:

Travis Kelce will be the unquestioned #1 for the foreseeable future (under contract through 2021) He's one of the best in the business and the ideal complement to the Legion of Zoom. When George Kittle signs his new contract (probably resetting the TE market) we'll have to see whether the Chiefs will have to sweeten his deal a little bit. Looking forward it might be prudent to develop some pass catching thread behind him.

Blake Bell I actually like a bit. Good blocker, and towards the end of the season (and the playoffs) became more involved in the passing game. Especially Toub seems to be high on him as a ST player. A good complement to Kelce in a specific role. A fre agent right now he should be brought back at the right price (which is not much above veteran minimum).

Deon Yelder was an afterthought during the second half of regular season, but returned to the lineup in postseason. He's an ERFA, so he'll be back.

Out of the other guys John Lovett is probably the most prominent one. Could be the heir of the Sausage at FB, the #2 or #3 TE, and ST champion. But could also be a dud. We'll see.

Alizé Mack and Nick Keizer round out the group. Mack they seem to like bit, signing him to a future contract even before the Superbowl. So we'll have to see if they take advantage.

The Outlook:

If the Chiefs bring back Blake Bell they should be set. Yelder, Lovett, Mack, the Sausage and Keizer will have to fight for #3 and #4 duties (incl. the FB slot). Offseason-wise a boring group where I don't expect much activity.

Edited by KC_Guy

This is one place I would like to target a high draft pick. Kelce is 30 years old and BB is mostly of a blocker. I'd like to see more of Lovett, but he is also known for his blocking. 

In the draft I don't see any genuine 1st round talents, but several should go on Day 2. Let's get one of them. 

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

This is one place I would like to target a high draft pick. Kelce is 30 years old and BB is mostly of a blocker. I'd like to see more of Lovett, but he is also known for his blocking. 

In the draft I don't see any genuine 1st round talents, but several should go on Day 2. Let's get one of them. 

J

I know I suggested something similar in a different thread, however, looking closer at it I don't think the Chiefs have the draft ammo to do so this year. That is unless they intend to replace Kelce next year for draft picks. Otherwise I'd wait until the 2021 draft. I don't see an urgency here, Kelce's play did not drop off yet.

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

I know I suggested something similar in a different thread, however, looking closer at it I don't think the Chiefs have the draft ammo to do so this year. That is unless they intend to replace Kelce next year for draft picks. Otherwise I'd wait until the 2021 draft. I don't see an urgency here, Kelce's play did not drop off yet.

Yeah, TE isnt a need at all at this point. It would be a wasted draft pick. We have actual needs, cant waste picks on areas that will be a need in 3+ seasons time.

11 hours ago, kempus said:

Yeah, TE isnt a need at all at this point. It would be a wasted draft pick. We have actual needs, cant waste picks on areas that will be a need in 3+ seasons time.

Good depth is never a wasted pick.

It's profilaxis, because there is a need developing and this is a chance to meet it with minimal fuss. Yes, Kelce is at the top of his game and in the discussion for the best TE ever. Yes, there is no reason to assume a dramatic decline. However, he is 30 years old and the mileage is piling up. It makes good sense to train his successor while he is still a force. That said, if we go that direction, a raw talent with high upside over a polished player, so we can wait.

Back at you. What needs? I do not see a genuine need anywhere on the roster. Not one position need an immediate starter. Anywhere we draft we are looking for depth and eventually a starter.

J

19 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

What needs? I do not see a genuine need anywhere on the roster. Not one position need an immediate starter. Anywhere we draft we are looking for depth and eventually a starter.

J

I tend to disagree ...

52 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It's profilaxis, because there is a need developing and this is a chance to meet it with minimal fuss. Yes, Kelce is at the top of his game and in the discussion for the best TE ever. Yes, there is no reason to assume a dramatic decline. However, he is 30 years old and the mileage is piling up. It makes good sense to train his successor while he is still a force. That said, if we go that direction, a raw talent with high upside over a polished player, so we can wait.

Back at you. What needs? I do not see a genuine need anywhere on the roster. Not one position need an immediate starter. Anywhere we draft we are looking for depth and eventually a starter.

J

Breeland and Fuller are free agents and both could get nice paydays. I would say CB is a big need. Not expecting a good one to be available at pick 32 though. Maybe we should just trade down multiple times from pick 32 and take a bunch of different mid round guys.

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

J

You're right, depth isn't a wasted pick, but its not an area we can afford to spend assets. As others have said CB is a serious need due to all of our FAs. I would also place LB, IOL, WR and RB as needs, to different degrees. Following your train of thought, we would also be smart to draft OT.

1 hour ago, kempus said:

You're right, depth isn't a wasted pick, but its not an area we can afford to spend assets. As others have said CB is a serious need due to all of our FAs. I would also place LB, IOL, WR and RB as needs, to different degrees. Following your train of thought, we would also be smart to draft OT.

It is an area we can afford to spend assets. I agree with almost all of what you say. It's just that DT, OT and TE deserve to be on that list with everything else. I would be BPA from CB, DT, ILB, IOL, OT, TE, RB, WR for the whole draft. It's all about adding to the talent level and the only place we have real depth is DE, assuming our injured players return to their former levels.

One exception is if Chris Jones does not re-sign. Then DT is a priority, and this is an excellent DT draft.

J

Here's the thing, Kelce is the lifeblood of our offense.  If he goes down it will hurt and I don't think Bell is capable of being a TE1 even for a minute.  Furthermore, NFL offenses are always evolving and I think our offense could or should include more two TE sets in effort to assist in the running game.  I think Bill Belichick was on to something when he had Hernandez and Gronkowski in the same offense, apparently he did too as it looked like he planned to keep both. 

Dollar for dollar, you get more production in the passing game from a top TE and they are better blockers as well. 

I'm not saying I want to use our first pick, but if the right TE is there in the third or fourth round then I'm all for it.  I have been scouting TEs a lot the past month and that kid Albert Okwuegbunam out of Missouri is very intriguing.  He has incredible hands, big catch radius, speed down the middle, and size to be an asset in the run game.  Honestly his game is a lot like Gronkowski's.  One player I am now over is Thaddeus Moss, tough player but he lacks speed and quickness.  Weird seeing as he is Randy Moss's son I think everyone just assumes he is a great athlete, I know I did. 

I think it all depends on value. As J said, we need to be going BPA throughout. If TE is deemed to be the best available then we go that direction. Its still not a need though.

On 2/23/2020 at 11:28 PM, KC_Guy said:

I know I suggested something similar in a different thread, however, looking closer at it I don't think the Chiefs have the draft ammo to do so this year.

agree with you

No worries about us drafting Albert Ok, he just ran a 4.49 and is killing it at the combine.  Likely late 1st round prospect. 

2 hours ago, warsawian said:

No worries about us drafting Albert Ok, he just ran a 4.49 and is killing it at the combine.  Likely late 1st round prospect. 

That would do it. He was the best TE in the SEC, which is saying a lot. Still probably 2nd round, but maybe slipping into the 1st.

J