Why is Tua getting a pass?

whodatworm23

15 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Maybe it's because Tua is injured and his destination isn't clear yet. If Tua was the consensus #2 or #3 pick, he would catch more heat. But since there is a chance of him falling, (No way he falls out of the top 9 IMO), maybe a team that wants him could move up to get him. 

Teams are going to do their evals of him during the combine (I know he can't do much physically, but he can still interview and take the mental tests). 

I get that but the same media that is giving Burrow heat is also talking up Tua as the clear cut #1 had he not been injured... so why nothing when he or his family spouts off?

They have to at least match the drama of last year. Were the Cards going to take Murray after just selecting Rosen in the first round the previous year?

Next year it will be ESPN and media purposely overhyping Justin Fields (he’s a great prospect but Lawrence is better and everyone knows it) so they will have the suspense of which QB will go number one. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I get that but the same media that is giving Burrow heat is also talking up Tua as the clear cut #1 had he not been injured... so why nothing when he or his family spouts off?

Again, it's the mystery of where is he going to go. The media is giving him a pass due to the mystery. Tua can say anything he wants so long as he doesn't try to force anything. 

On the other hand, Burrow (being a Ohio native) has to act like everything is all good (I don't think that Burrow is excited to play for the Bengals though). IMO the media wants the drama of Burrow forcing his way out of Cinci which he won't do. 

It's all a matter of what the media wants. They want Burrow to force his way out because of the drama. And they are willing to give Tua a pass because it doesn't really matter where he ends up. 

19 minutes ago, Counselor said:

They have to at least match the drama of last year. Were the Cards going to take Murray after just selecting Rosen in the first round the previous year?

Next year it will be ESPN and media purposely overhyping Justin Fields (he’s a great prospect but Lawrence is better and everyone knows it) so they will have the suspense of which QB will go number one. 

lol even the casual sports fans should be able to see through that nonsense, if it occurs. Fields might be QB #2 next year, but it won't be because he's anywhere close to Lawrence. I don't think he's some elite QB prospect by any means.

4 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I wouldn't say its so much anti-Cincy but the "Will Burrow pull an Eli" is the only real narrative the media could come up to jazz up this draft.

The only reason they're bringing up "pulling an Eli" is because Cincinnati holds the first pick. To the media we're a dysfunctional mess.

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I wouldn't say its so much anti-Cincy but the "Will Burrow pull an Eli" is the only real narrative the media could come up to jazz up this draft.

Absolutely this.  I've said it in our thread and in others trying to ignite drama between Burrow and the team.  He is such a clear cut favorite for the #1 pick that there's nothing else to talk about for the top spot overall. And casual fans are eating it up.  Meanwhile, diehard fans are taking the narratives too personally.  I hate the takes, but in the endm\, they mean nothing to Mike Brown and the rest of the front office.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

To the media we're a dysfunctional mess.

That's the lazy approach many are taking.  It also helps sell the notion that Joe could try to do it.  But everything from Joe's camp, specifically his father, says the opposite.  he's somewhat local, his GF is from there, and he has a chance to be on the Pete Rose/Boomer level if he is able to one day lead this team to the promised land.

7 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

The only reason they're bringing up "pulling an Eli" is because Cincinnati holds the first pick. To the media we're a dysfunctional mess.

Honestly most of the media I've heard aren't really biting and think that Cincinnati is fine, if not underwhelming. Its mostly the troll-y ones trying to fan the flames. I'm not saying that there aren't some anti-Cincinnati folks out there, I'm just saying as a neutral observer that its not nearly as widespread as you think it is. Of course the nature of sports media is that literally every fanbase thinks the media 'hates' them because there's always examples of criticism.

The whole "Burrow does/doesn't want to go to the Bengals" thing is a controversy manufactured to deal with the fact that the #1 overall pick has not been this obvious, this early in the process in over a decade.

We need something to talk about and there's no way to say "Will the team picking #1 who needs a QB, pick QB A or QB B" because the second guy is hurt.

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The whole "Burrow does/doesn't want to go to the Bengals" thing is a controversy manufactured to deal with the fact that the #1 overall pick has not been this obvious, this early in the process in over a decade.

I was trying to think of the last time the#1 an #2  were pretty much unanimous locks in December.

7 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I was trying to think of the last time the#1 an #2  were pretty much unanimous locks in December.

It's not uncommon for the #1 and #2 names to be known but not the order (e.g. Luck and RG3, Manning and Leaf) but it's super rare that you can't even come up with a strong argument for the other guy at #1.

17 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Regardless if you agree or not with a player like Joe Burrow taking control of his career and saying he does not want to play in Cincinnati (which he has not done by the way) is irrelevant. I’m sure we all have our own opinions on this subject and the way Burrow hems and haws around the question is somewhat telling and he’s even taken a lot of heat over it.

All the while there’s Tua Tagovailoa and his family openly stating they don’t want to go to the Lions, stating the Dolphins is the “preferred destination” while the Cowboys is the “Dream Destination”. I just don’t understand why Burrow is taking all this heat in the media for something he has not done while at the same time Tua is getting a pass for actually doing that very same thing!

Is anyone else noticing this??? 

Can you imagine if Burrow was not a Ohio native? Would Tua and the Tagovailoa family be all excited to possibly be going to Cincinnati? By the way they are treating some other city’s I highly doubt that Tua would be open to heading to Ohio to start his career. Honestly I don’t know why I felt the need to bring this up, lol but just wanted to come to Burrows defense here and kinda call Tua and his family out a bit as being kinda divaish.

Thoughts?

That's a good point.  It sounds like Tua's family is scared of cold weather.  Other than that, I don't see why Detroit would be a bad landing spot for him.  Matt Stafford was the first overall pick in the draft and he has stayed and played his entire career there.  They must be treating him fairly well.  I can't blame them for wanting him to quarterback the Cowboys because that's a premium place to be a quarterback, no matter what you think of them or their owner.  As far as Miami is concerned, have they really been any better than Detroit during Tua's entire life?  Not much if they have.  They do have great weather though, so there is that.

It is my opinion that a college kid has no business calling any shots as to where he will be playing to start his NFL career.  It is a privilege to be drafted (even if you are the #1 pick).  To maintain parity in the league, they give the worst team the highest pick, and so on down the line.  If you are the first pick in the draft, you will also be making the most money to start your career.  If you don't like the team that drafts you, tough.  Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.  If Cincinnati picks him and he doesn't like it there, he has every right to refuse to sign a second contract with them and move on in 4-5 years.  The same goes for Tua in Detroit.  In the meantime, get out there and do your best to make the team that puts their trust in you the best they can possibly be.  Man up.

Edited by Uncle Buck