Offseason Mock 1.5

Bishop86

My initial mock was posted before I could complete it. So hear is my completed edition: (Note: I was going to cut D. Harrison so this still works out well)

Spotrac now projects we have 51,199,638 in cap space.  The rookie class is projected to cost $11.93 towards the cap. This leaves us with 39,269,638 in remaining cap.

Resign: 

G. Glasgow:    5yrs, $50 mil    $35 guaranteed        (6,10,11,11,12)

T. Wilson:    2 yrs, 10 mil     $5 mil            
    R. Melvin:    2 yrs, 5 mil    
    M. Killebrew:    2yrs, 2 mil
    J. McKissic:    2 yr, 4 mil    $2
    M. Ford:        1 yr, $550k

D. Amendola:    1yr, $5  (Honestly I did not want Amendola, but it seems that he was re-signed)
                              ---------------
                               $22.05    

$17,219,638
Sign:
    Michael Pierce:    3 yrs, $21 mil    $12 guaranteed        (5,7,9)
    Jason Pierre- Paul:     1 yr, $5 (w/ incentives)
                            ----------------
                            $7,219,638
Cut: 
    R. Okwara:    +$2.1
                            ------------------
                            $9,319,638

Extend:
    D. Slay:        3 yrs, $42 mil    $24 guaranteed     (12, 14, 16) mil per    -$6 mil
            ------------------
            $3,319,638 Left over

Draft: 

1 (3)- Jeff Okudah, CB   (I really think Chase Young could fall to us)

2 (35)- Neville Gallimore, DT

3 (67)- Denzell Mims, WR

4 (106)- KJ Hill, WR

5 (149)- Jack Driscoll, OT

5 (173)- Shaquille Quarterman, ILB  

6 (182)-  JR Reed, SS

Honestly, not a huge fan. It's not bad or anything, but not my preference.

I think, based in his age and ability, Wilson is overpaid at that number. I like the JPP incentive deal, and I think he might see value in the opportunity here.

I also don't like staying at #3 and taking anyone other than Tua. In my opinion, we'll undoubtedly have a trade down offer, and I'd prefer trading down and taking the best available player. If we don't, and are staying at #3, I'm taking Tua (assuming his medical checks out). He wants to sit for a year, and I think this team is a great fit for him.

Of course, if Chase Young does fall, he has to be the pick.

4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Honestly, not a huge fan. It's not bad or anything, but not my preference.

I think, based in his age and ability, Wilson is overpaid at that number. I like the JPP incentive deal, and I think he might see value in the opportunity here.

I also don't like staying at #3 and taking anyone other than Tua. In my opinion, we'll undoubtedly have a trade down offer, and I'd prefer trading down and taking the best available player. If we don't, and are staying at #3, I'm taking Tua (assuming his medical checks out). He wants to sit for a year, and I think this team is a great fit for him.

Of course, if Chase Young does fall, he has to be the pick.

Agreed not a fan. I dont like the contract that Wilson, GG, or Slay got. Overpaid IMO. Plus if that is all we get in FA I would be very disappointed. Also, agree with trading down from #3, hell I would take pretty much anything to trade back if it comes to crunch time and Miami is only offering a 3rd rd pick I would take it. I hope there are more teams that are in the mix like its being reported but there is noway I stay at #3 unless Chase Young is there. We need more picks.

Edited by BZski
  • Like 1

I like the players selected in the draft.  I love the combo of Okudah and Gallimore but share the sentiment of others, I dont like the FA signings and I dont like not trading down.  I feel like the Giants may take Okudah at 4 but willing to risk it for multiple high picks.  

As for the likelihood of this draft, I feel like this is what is going to happen, because that's Detroit sports.  We hold onto guys too long (Boyd, Drummond, anyone on the wings) and then trade them for scraps.  We as a sports city appear to be afraid to make impact trades so I could see us sticking at 3, taking Okudah and Patricia and Quinn saying they loved him so much they couldn't risk it by gaining multiple other picks.  I feel like the free agency is probably about what we will see, maybe a few more bodies but nobody with a name that excites the fan base because we are a touch destination.  So as far as realism goes, A++.  As far as what I want to see happen, C. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 3:08 PM, detroitroar said:

I dont get the emphasis on WR and not RB.

As of now, we don't have a single WR signed for 2021. I hope we extend Golloday, but we would still have to fill the holes at WR2 and Slot.  Amendola can't play forever (and to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of his to begin with). I actually like Marvin Hall, but he is more of a vertical threat than WR2.  I know it's not like Quinn to plan for next year, but he can't just keep grabbing high priced FA's to fill holes, at some point he'll need the foresight to draft ahead. 

On 2/23/2020 at 7:50 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think, based in his age and ability, Wilson is overpaid at that number. 

2 years and $5 mil for a starting Safety already familiar with our system is too much?  I too, was disappointed with my predicted free agent haul, but unfortunately, $40 million doesn't get you far when you have holes at 4 starting positions. Those needs have to be addressed before FA splashes.  I hate to say it, but we are the Lions, and we will have to over pay to get/ keep some guys.  I didn't want Amendola resigned, and that changed some things after I heard he was being kept on.  I wanted to use that $5 mil on an LB, and move J. Davis to the outside more, envision almost Double Jack role with Kennard.   I kind of edited my original mock and pushed this one throughh because chips started to fall (Snacks/ Amendola).

Edited by Bishop86
Forgot to mention a point

2 hours ago, Bishop86 said:

As of now, we don't have a single WR signed for 2021. I hope we extend Golloday, but we would still have to fill the holes at WR2 and Slot.  Amendola can't play forever (and to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of his to begin with). I actually like Marvin Hall, but he is more of a vertical threat than WR2.  I know it's not like Quinn to plan for next year, but he can't just keep grabbing high priced FA's to fill holes, at some point he'll need the foresight to draft ahead. 

I get that and your not wrong, but you took 2 wrs in the first 4 rounds.

We have nothing reliable at RB.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:04 PM, BZski said:

Agreed not a fan. I dont like the contract that Wilson, GG, or Slay got. Overpaid IMO. Plus if that is all we get in FA I would be very disappointed.

$10m mil per for a starting G/C? $12 mil for a Pro Bowl CB1? $5 mil for a starting safety?... all with familiarity with our system? We are the Detroit Lions. We will have to overpay, bottom line (ex: Trey Flowers, making Justin Coleman the highest paid Nickel back). We don't win much and our coaching staff/ front office is in a make or break year.  This topic has been raised at Pride of Detroit.  Not to mention we have 4 starting positions to fill, and we are middle of the pack in cap space. Money will be flowing for the top guys. That's alot of stress for the front office.   I originally had a different FA class, but as Snacks was released and Amendola was resigned, priorities got shifted.  We can not rely on the draft to fill holes. We have to make sure to fill holes before we draft, so we can take best player available and add actual talent. 

26 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I get that and your not wrong, but you took 2 wrs in the first 4 rounds.

We have nothing reliable at RB.

While not all that spectacular, we could have the same RB group (K. Johnson/ B. Scarborough/ T. Johnson/ J. McKissic) for 3 years in a row, according to my plan. We don't have a single WR signed for next year at the moment! ( I don't know how Quinn leaves us open like this.)  Let's stop chasing holes for once, and grab some value to help us down the road. Sure the WR room will be a bit crowded this year, but by 2021, when we don't have to throw a boatload of money at some decent WR's, it will be worth it.

45 minutes ago, Bishop86 said:

While not all that spectacular, we could have the same RB group (K. Johnson/ B. Scarborough/ T. Johnson/ J. McKissic) for 3 years in a row, according to my plan. We don't have a single WR signed for next year at the moment! ( I don't know how Quinn leaves us open like this.)  Let's stop chasing holes for once, and grab some value to help us down the road. Sure the WR room will be a bit crowded this year, but by 2021, when we don't have to throw a boatload of money at some decent WR's, it will be worth it.

I see your point but it's more about quality over quantity in my eyes. 

Golladay is going to be re-signed as our #1; we're likely to add someone in the draft this year, we draft Fulgham last year and added Marvin Hall into the mix. So that's 3 guys when we're only going to keep 5 - 6 on the roster. If Marvin and Amendola are gone next year, we can find another guy in FA + draft to round things out. So I don't see the cupboards being as bare as it is made out to be in some media circles. 

RB wise, it does feel like a much bigger issue. This is a team that WANTS to run the ball but has struggled to do it effectively. Our two main guys have injury questions, Ty didn't show as much as he should for me to be comfortable with him and McKissic is more of a 3rd down back with a high tender (ie he might not be back). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bishop86 said:

I never suggested chasing holes and Quinn hasn't necessarily done that.

Golladay was considered a bit of a head scratcher at the time.

10 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I see your point but it's more about quality over quantity in my eyes. 

Golladay is going to be re-signed as our #1; we're likely to add someone in the draft this year, we draft Fulgham last year and added Marvin Hall into the mix. So that's 3 guys when we're only going to keep 5 - 6 on the roster. If Marvin and Amendola are gone next year, we can find another guy in FA + draft to round things out. So I don't see the cupboards being as bare as it is made out to be in some media circles. 

RB wise, it does feel like a much bigger issue. This is a team that WANTS to run the ball but has struggled to do it effectively. Our two main guys have injury questions, Ty didn't show as much as he should for me to be comfortable with him and McKissic is more of a 3rd down back with a high tender (ie he might not be back). 

Fulgham and Hall are not signed beyond 2020, so the cupboard is actually that bare.  And we're talking about Fulgham and Hall.... not exactly household names. I get the need for a RB, and I could have certainly went for one. My angle is value.  There are only 5 RBs in the top 100 consentually in draft circles.  There are 18-20 WR's within the top 100.