Pre-Combine Mock

BZski

Cut:

Snacks 

Trade:

Slay traded to Denver for #46

Cap Space: ~62 Million (according to over the cap)

Re-sign:

WR- Danny Amendola- Already done and I am going to assume its close to the same deal at 4.5 mil

CB- Mike Ford- Worth a shot as a camp body.

RB- JD McKissic- Has a niche role with the team. cheap contract

FA:

CB- Byron Jones- This is our BIG FA signing. Fills the role that Slay left as the #1 CB. Doesnt have great turnover stats but the guy simply doesnt get thrown at. He also plays S at a high level. 4 yrs 60 mil 

DT- Vernon Butler- Big, athletic DT from Carolina. He can take on double teams but also pressure the QB from the 5-tech. 4 yr 20 mil

MLB- Nick Kwiatkoski- The guy is a brick in the run game and showed he can cover this year as well. He will be a very good FA signing and will man the MLB spot. 4 yr 24 mil

CB- Bradley Roby- The vet insurance that will battle AO for the #2 CB spot and has experience with Undlein. 2 yr 12 mil

S- Harrison Smith- Reports are that he will be released so the Vikings can re-sign Harris. Smith comes in and takes the 3rd S Tavon Wilson role. 3 yr 21 mil

Draft:

Det trades #3 pick to Miami for #5, #39, #56- Miami Trades up for Tua.

Det trades #5 to Carolina for #7, #38

#7- DT- Derrick Brown- I think this is the guy the Lions covet in the draft. DJ has just as high grade on him as he does Chase Young and I think Lions value him similar. Him and Butler will be a nice tandem in the middle.

#35- C/G- Ceasar Ruiz- We replace one Michigan G/C with another. The Lions like versatility with their OL and Ruiz can play C and RG. 

#38- WR- Jalen Reagor- Explosive WR that can take the top off the defense and also is great in getting YAC.

#39-  OLB- Josh Uche- Explosive pass rusher that showed he can also cover at the SB.

#46- RB- Jonathan Taylor- Super productive power RB that can also take it to the house. Not a priority but we have a lot of picks.

#56- CB- AJ Terrell- Bigger CB to develop but doesnt necessarily need to play right away. Fits the scheme very well

#67- OT- Ben Bartch- Small school guy that looked very good at SB practices. He has LT upside but could be the replacement for Rick Wagner in 2021 with development.

#99- DT- Leki Fotu- Even with drafting Brown we are still a little lite at DT. Fotu is strictly a run stuffer in the Snacks mold.

#131- WR- KJ Hill- He may go higher but as of right now he is projected around this spot. Lions double dip in a very deep WR class and get a slot WR that can learn from Danny Amendola for a year and take over spot in 2021.

#155- MLB- Logan Wilson- Rumors are that the Lions love him. He was on their team at the SB and they can away impressed. He has the size they look for, was great in the run game and in coverage in college (former CB). I am not sure what round as Lions may pull a Tavai and take him much earlier than projects state but I would be willing to bet Logan Wilson is a Lion next season.

#163- P- Brandon Mann- Erik Schlitt seems to think he will be the pick here to replace Sam Martin. I tend to agree.

Edited by BZski
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They could probably get the same deal with the Giants at 4.  Just seems unrealistic to expect two trades involving teams looking for franchise QBs.

They definitely could but Giants GM Gettlemen has never traded back in his career as a GM so I was playing the odds.  

Edited by BZski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

They could probably get the same deal with the Giants at 4.  Just seems unrealistic to expect two trades involving teams looking for franchise QBs.

Dude. It's a mock. Did you want him to put a blurb where the Panthers called the Giants, their asking price was too high and they couldn't make a deal?

If you're just looking at that scenario (the Lions are OTC at #5 and Herbert is still available), I think a team could absolutely jump the Chargers, regardless of how we got to #5.

@BZski This mock is absolutely filthy. I love the decisions (especially trading Slay and signing Jones, which I mentioned in the Slay thread before reading this), I like the re-signs and other free agents, and I love the players drafted. Ruiz, Reagor, Uche, Taylor... It's beautiful. (Of course Brown is a stud. High talent, high motor, high athleticism guys are rare.) If I could sign up for this thing right now, lock me in.

9 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I would love this outcome. That said, If we land Harrison Smith, no way he is our third safety. Him and Walker would be killer. 

Oh he is starting over Harris but I am assuming MP still starts 3 S's on defense.

9 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

I like the double trade down idea. i dont mind roby. also not sure why Denver trades for Slay, if im Denver why not keep Harris? wouldnt be upset if the draft went like that

Harris is a FA and Slay is younger.

This is some pretty creative work.  Given how crazy teams can get over a QB, it may not be too far-fetched.  Derrick Brown is an awesome player but I am starting to think that that difference between him and Javon Kinlaw isn't that much.  I would be happy with either one in the middle of our defense.  You picked up good talent pretty much where they are projected to go right now.  Great job!