Pre-Combine Mock

BZski

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure why being critical of the proposed trades is that upsetting.  The Lions are getting a surplus value of an extra late FRP.  In the Jets/Colts trade, the Colts got roughly a late SRP in surplus value plus whatever you value that future SRP.  It isn't realistic IMO.  You're more than welcome to disagree, but acting like there isn't a basis for that train of though is crazy to me.

Perfect. Thanks.

In 2018, the Jets traded the 6th overall pick (1,600), the 37th overall pick (530), 49th overall pick (410) and a future 2nd round pick for the 3rd overall pick (2,200). In 2018, the Colts gained a total of 2,540 and a future 2nd round pick to move from the 3rd to the 6th.

In this mock, the Dolphins traded the 5th overall pick (1,700), the 39th overall pick (510) and the 56th overall pick (340) for the 3rd overall pick (2,200). So far, a total of 2,550 and no future pick. Carolina then traded the 7th overall pick (1,500) and the 38th overall pick (520) for the 5th overall pick (1,700). In this mock, the Lions gained a total of 2,870 and no future 2nd round pick to move from the 3rd to the 7th.

The difference in value between the 6th overall pick and the 7th overall pick is 100 points. The Lions gained 330 more points than the Colts (a late 2nd round pick) and did not gain a future 2nd round pick to move one spot lower (-100), which is a total of 230 points. An early 3rd round pick more than the Colts trade and no future 2nd round pick, which the Colts received.

In other words: your own example validated the value received in this mock, as it's spot on to that example. If your example was to show how this isn't realistic, it proved the opposite. Which is my issue: you seem to love going around and labeling other's mock drafts (which are hypothetical by definition) as "wildly unlikely" and "totally out of the realm of possibility", but you are often absolutely wrong.

If you want proof, just look at your own examples.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

18 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The difference in value between the 6th overall pick and the 7th overall pick is 100 points. The Lions gained 330 more points than the Colts (a late 2nd round pick) and did not gain a future 2nd round pick to move one spot lower (-100), which is a total of 230 points. An early 3rd round pick more than the Colts trade and no future 2nd round pick, which the Colts received.

In other words: your own example validated the value received in this mock, as it's spot on to that example. If your example was to show how this isn't realistic, it proved the opposite. Which is my issue: you seem to love going around and labeling other's mock drafts (which are hypothetical by definition) as "wildly unlikely" and "totally out of the realm of possibility", but you are often absolutely wrong.

If you want proof, just look at your own examples.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  And that's not even taking into account that IMO the Jets paid a big premium by doing that deal pre-draft as opposed to during the draft.  But you're getting further and further away from my original point.  What's stopping Carolina from picking up the phone and calling Gettleman and offering the exact same package?  Unless Gettleman is locked onto someone at 4, you'd have to imagine they'd be interested in moving down a few picks and gaining a premium SRP.  Let me ask you this, would this be the ideal trade down scenario that doesn't involve teams giving up future picks?

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  And that's not even taking into account that IMO the Jets paid a big premium by doing that deal pre-draft as opposed to during the draft.  But you're getting further and further away from my original point.  What's stopping Carolina from picking up the phone and calling Gettleman and offering the exact same package?  Unless Gettleman is locked onto someone at 4, you'd have to imagine they'd be interested in moving down a few picks and gaining a premium SRP.  Let me ask you this, would this be the ideal trade down scenario that doesn't involve teams giving up future picks?

I'm getting farther away from your point? You're the one that brought up the Colts/Jets trade, not me. That was you.

How can you still disagree when you were clearly wrong, using your own argument? I laid out, using the exact same standard (TVC) and example (Colts/Jets trade) that you did, that the value of your example was arguably exact to this mock. Again, that wasn't my example: it was yours. Why can't you admit that you were wrong? And, if that example was your rationale for this being "unrealistic", and it's in line with that example, shouldn't you agree that this is "realistic"?

What's stopping Carolina from making the deal instead? Uh, nothing. It's possible that they could. It's possible that this trade could be made instead. Something else being possible doesn't suddenly make this one impossible. That's all part of it being a mock draft.

Which is my point: nearly all of what's proposed in mock drafts around here is possible. The draft is unpredictable. Mock drafts are hypothetical. Going around an (wrongly) labeling things as impossible is both pointless and incorrect.

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm getting farther away from your point? You're the one that brought up the Colts/Jets trade, not me. That was you.

How can you still disagree when you were clearly wrong, using your own argument? I laid out, using the exact same standard (TVC) and example (Colts/Jets trade) that you did, that the value of your example was arguably exact to this mock. Again, that wasn't my example: it was yours. Why can't you admit that you were wrong? And, if that example was your rationale for this being "unrealistic", and it's in line with that example, shouldn't you agree that this is "realistic"?

What's stopping Carolina from making the deal instead? Uh, nothing. It's possible that they could. It's possible that this trade could be made instead. Something else being possible doesn't suddenly make this one impossible. That's all part of it being a mock draft.

Which is my point: nearly all of what's proposed in mock drafts around here is possible. The draft is unpredictable. Mock drafts are hypothetical. Going around an (wrongly) labeling things as impossible is both pointless and incorrect.

Mic drop!