Which of these modern runningbacks are HoF worthy?

C0LTSFAN4L1F3

So, I was doing some coding of football stats for fun, and just analyzing how runningbacks across history compare to each, giving a quick stat breakdown of every RB over 10K career rushing yards. I came across several modern runningbacks that made the 10K rushing club, and I was wondering which of the following guys you think are HoF worthy and who has the best chance:

Thomas Jones, Fred Taylor, Corey Dillon,  Tiki Barber, Marshawn Lynch, Warrick Dunn

Tiki Barber is 27th on the all-time rushing list at 10,449 yards, and here's my little statistic summary for him:(the volume values are his stats standardized to a 16-game season)

Tiki Barber: 
230 carries 1085 yards, 5.7 Rushing Touchdowns, 61 Receptions, 538 receiving yards, 1.2 Receiving Touchdowns, 1623 Yards from Scrimmage, 7.0 Total Touchdowns
4.71 Yards per carry, 40.3 carries per touchdown, 8.84 Yards per catch, 48.83 receptions per touchdown, 5.58 yards per touch, 41.8 touches per touchdown

Corey Dillon is 20th on the all-time rushing list at 11,241 rushing yards, and here's his stat summary:

279 carries 1199 yards, 8.7 Rushing Touchdowns, 26 Receptions, 204 receiving yards, 0.7 Receiving Touchdowns, 1403 Yards from Scrimmage, 9.5 Total Touchdowns
4.29 Yards per carry, 31.9 carries per touchdown, 7.84 Yards per catch, 34.86 receptions per touchdown, 4.60 yards per touch, 32.2 touches per touchdown

Warrick Dunn is 23rd on the all-time rushing list at 10,967 rushing yards, and here's his stat summary:

235 carries 969 yards, 4.3 Rushing Touchdowns, 45 Receptions, 384 receiving yards, 1.3 Receiving Touchdowns, 1353 Yards from Scrimmage, 5.7 Total Touchdowns
4.11 Yards per carry, 54.5 carries per touchdown, 8.51 Yards per catch, 34.00 receptions per touchdown, 4.81 yards per touch, 49.7 touches per touchdown

Thomas Jones is 26th on the all-time rushing list at 10,591 rushing yards, and here's his stat summary:

238 carries 941 yards, 6.0 Rushing Touchdowns, 27 Receptions, 180 receiving yards, 0.3 Receiving Touchdowns, 1121 Yards from Scrimmage, 6.3 Total Touchdowns
3.95 Yards per carry, 39.4 carries per touchdown, 6.57 Yards per catch, 102.67 receptions per touchdown, 4.22 yards per touch, 42.1 touches per touchdown

Fred Taylor is 17th on the all-time rushing list at 11,695 rushing yards, and here's his stat summary:

264 carries 1223 yards, 6.9 Rushing Touchdowns, 30 Receptions, 249 receiving yards, 0.8 Receiving Touchdowns, 1472 Yards from Scrimmage, 7.7 Total Touchdowns
4.62 Yards per carry, 38.4 carries per touchdown, 8.22 Yards per catch, 36.25 receptions per touchdown, 4.99 yards per touch, 38.2 touches per touchdown

Marshawn Lynch is 29th on the all-time rushing list at 10,413 rushing yards, and here's his stat summary:

263 carries 1118 yards, 9.1 Rushing Touchdowns, 31 Receptions, 238 receiving yards, 1.0 Receiving Touchdowns, 1356 Yards from Scrimmage, 10.1 Total Touchdowns
4.25 Yards per carry, 28.9 carries per touchdown, 7.71 Yards per catch, 31.89 receptions per touchdown, 4.61 yards per touch, 29.1 touches per touchdown

I realize Lynch is still active, but I feel like he fit this conversation. Interesting to note, all of these guys are above 7 HoF runningbacks on the all-time rushing list. So what do you guys think?

Edited by C0LTSFAN4L1F3

Hmm, tough one. Taylor, Tiki, and Lynch would be the three best candidates for me. Dunn, Jones, Dillon aren’t worth consideration.

Taylor SHOULD be in IMO, but he was/is under appreciated.

Tiki had that BAD fumbling problem earlier in his career which really hurt him. You wonder how much people still remember that about him. 

Lynch I’d bet will get in. Rightly or wrongly he was perceived much better than any of those other guys during his career.

Fumbling problems aside, Tiki is easily Hall of Fame caliber even with the fumbling problems. If he wasn't one the most unlikable former players he would have been in years ago. The rest are just Hall of Very Good to me. Marshawn Lynch has a bunch of highlight moments and is one of those "can't tell the story of the game" without him type of dudes so he'll likely get in fairly quickly even if skill/production wise he isn't that much better than the rest of the players listed.

How about Adrian Peterson?  He's still playing but I think he will be in Canton someday. 

Of the other ones listed by the OP, Marshawn Lynch is the only one I would consider close to a lock to get in.  That Beastmode run in the playoffs is a highlight that will go a long way toward getting him in.  One extra carry at the end of the Super Bowl might have been nice for him too, but you can't blame him for that.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Malik said:

Fumbling problems aside, Tiki is easily Hall of Fame caliber even with the fumbling problems. If he wasn't one the most unlikable former players he would have been in years ago. The rest are just Hall of Very Good to me. Marshawn Lynch has a bunch of highlight moments and is one of those "can't tell the story of the game" without him type of dudes so he'll likely get in fairly quickly even if skill/production wise he isn't that much better than the rest of the players listed.

Tiki definitely SHOULD be in based solely off his numbers, but due to how unliked he is, I could see voters using his early fumbling problems to keep him out. Mind you, I DON'T agree, just saying I could see voters doing that to him. 

I also agree with your assessment of Lynch. He'll get in on name recognition as much as anything else (although he was a fine back).

I do think Taylor is worthy too though. He had a rather underappreciated career.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

How about Adrian Peterson?  He's still playing but I think he will be in Canton someday. 

Of the other ones listed by the OP, Marshawn Lynch is the only one I would consider close to a lock to get in.  That Beastmode run in the playoffs is a highlight that will go a long way toward getting him in.  One extra carry at the end of the Super Bowl might have been nice for him too, but you can't blame him for that.

Adrian Peterson is a lock. I think this list is all about borderline guys...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson were purposely excluded because they're locks. 

• Like 1

What I think will happen.. Marshawn gets in and Tiki has a tiny shot. That's it, the rest don't even have a chance IMO.

I honestly don't really think any of them deserve to get in. Marshawn had one great year in his 12 year career. Numerous RBs were better than him in any given year of his career. But he has iconic moments and made plays in the playoffs. With that being said, I'm not going to be upset about him getting in. In fact, I'd like to see him get in despite everything I've said. I love the guy and I think he was/is good for the league.

14 hours ago, braylon said:

What I think will happen.. Marshawn gets in and Tiki has a tiny shot. That's it, the rest don't even have a chance IMO.

I honestly don't really think any of them deserve to get in. Marshawn had one great year in his 12 year career. Numerous RBs were better than him in any given year of his career. But he has iconic moments and made plays in the playoffs. With that being said, I'm not going to be upset about him getting in. In fact, I'd like to see him get in despite everything I've said. I love the guy and I think he was/is good for the league.

None of them to deserve to get in? Taylor and Dillon, arguably Lynch too, were simply better backs than ones that have already been inducted into the hall of fame. Edgerrin James was just inducted, who had similar career yards to Dillon and Taylor, though slightly higher, but similar actual performance over their career. 

James: 327 carries 1323 yards, 8.6 Rushing Touchdowns, 47 Receptions, 364 receiving yards, 1.2 Receiving Touchdowns, 1687 Yards from Scrimmage, 9.8 Total Touchdowns
4.04 Yards per carry, 37.9 carries per touchdown, 7.77 Yards per catch, 39.36 receptions per touchdown, 4.51 yards per touch, 38.0 touches per touchdown

Dillon: 279 carries 1199 yards, 8.7 Rushing Touchdowns, 26 Receptions, 204 receiving yards, 0.7 Receiving Touchdowns, 1403 Yards from Scrimmage, 9.5 Total Touchdowns
4.29 Yards per carry, 31.9 carries per touchdown, 7.84 Yards per catch, 34.86 receptions per touchdown, 4.60 yards per touch, 32.2 touches per touchdown

Taylor: 264 carries 1223 yards, 6.9 Rushing Touchdowns, 30 Receptions, 249 receiving yards, 0.8 Receiving Touchdowns, 1472 Yards from Scrimmage, 7.7 Total Touchdowns
4.62 Yards per carry, 38.4 carries per touchdown, 8.22 Yards per catch, 36.25 receptions per touchdown, 4.99 yards per touch, 38.2 touches per touchdown
Lynch: 263 carries 1118 yards, 9.1 Rushing Touchdowns, 31 Receptions, 238 receiving yards, 1.0 Receiving Touchdowns, 1356 Yards from Scrimmage, 10.1 Total Touchdowns
4.25 Yards per carry, 28.9 carries per touchdown, 7.71 Yards per catch, 31.89 receptions per touchdown, 4.61 yards per touch, 29.1 touches per touchdown

James just got more carries while the others had far better yards per carry and had a similar touchdown rate in spite of getting fewer carries. If Edgerrin James is in, Dillon, Taylor and Lynch(to a lesser extent) absolutely deserve to get in too. 

Edited by C0LTSFAN4L1F3