Week 3 GDT - Los Angeles Rams @ San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Which makes it sad that we are still one of the worst teams in protecting the quarterback

But in their defense, Kyle seems to have given up on the run a little too early at times, or have been forced to do it because we had to catch up. If we could get ahead in a game and kept running the ball, then I bet the pass pro wouldn't be among the worst in the league.

45 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

But in their defense, Kyle seems to have given up on the run a little too early at times, or have been forced to do it because we had to catch up. If we could get ahead in a game and kept running the ball, then I bet the pass pro wouldn't be among the worst in the league.

We're actually worse on a sack efficiency basis. We are tied for 9th highest total sacks given up which can obviously be dictated by other factors, as you implied. Most notably, the number of pass attempts you have, situation, etc. But our sack percentage of 9.17% is actually 7th worst in the league, so the playcalling / game planning really doesn't come into play.

Believe it or not, our pass protection has actually been worse this year than last year and the year before so far on an efficiency basis (sack rate was 8.74% in 2016, 9.15% in 2015, when we all largely agree that we had one of the worst offensive lines we have ever seen). That being said, it's only been three games, so a big outing can really skew that one way or the other. I also don't really think that this line is worse than one with Devey and Pears in it. Just thought it was funny, is all.

Nothing will be worse than the crap we had in 2015. Though the OL last year was down right awful as well. The run blocking last year was embarrassing, and the pass blocking wasn't much better. Just shows how important it is to have competent guards. We keep going in a cycle of terrible guards when there was no reason not to re-sign Iupati. 

Just checked the FO numbers for our OL, and we finished dead last in run blocking the last two years and finished 31st and 30th in pass blocking. L-O-L......

On 9/27/2017 at 7:51 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

Call me crazy, but I loved the Garnett pick. I know, I'm in the minority--oh well. I was hoping to see him contribute, but apparently not this year.  

I didn't hate the guy we took.  I prefered Whitehair and Martin but was perfectly happy with Garnett as a player.  I absolutely hated the move up to get him.  

Archived