Is there any team you think should have a 2019 Dolphins style tear down?

CP3MVP

45 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The Falcons come to mind.  The makeup of their team is just dreadful.  The strength of their team is the least important positions in football with all their investments at ILB/WR/TE/IOL. 

Their cap situation also fits a tear down. 

The defense absolutely needs a tear-down, but you're not going to completely remake it in a single offseason. It's more like a slow teardown. I actually think the Falcons are set up pretty well on offense for the next 4-5 years, assuming McGary and Lindstrom grow and develop into really good linemen. Their main problem on offense is Dirk Koetter still runs his offense like it's the mid-2000's again. Replace him with someone competent and you'd probably see a huge growth on offense.

I'm starting to think that the Falcons have serious player developmental issues on the defensive side of the ball though. That's going to persist regardless of a teardown (assuming you keep the same regime).

The cap is a speedbump and only bad GMs get burnt by it. The only reason our cap is in the shape it is in now is because we spent a lot of money on some terrible offensive linemen free agents. If we had held back we'd be in great financial shape.

Besides, any theoretical teardown wouldn't be very effective since the pieces on the team that would merit draft capital have absurd dead cap hits if they were traded.

Edited by Hukos

12 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Lol what? Our rosters have always been absolute garbage. The last halfway decent roster we had was in 2008. And the last time before that was....the 1980’s. This is an insane line of logic you are on. 

I'm talking under Haslam my man. Not every single team since the 80's but sure. 

30 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ok, but the Dolphins didn’t change their front office. They traded away all of their players. Are you really advocating that the Browns should do that? Remember, credibility is important. 

And the Browns are always in building mode because they didn’t have any raw talent on their team. They have oodles of talent now, but no idea how to utilize it. 

You’re being a silly goose. 

Relevant. 

3 hours ago, AntonChigurh said:

The idea itself is idiotic. Dolphins traded away a lot of young talent for younger unproven talent 

If you decided that you weren't going to pay your young talent when their time came up, trading them now is probably for the best. I do think the "screw it, we're blowing it up now" mentality is self-defeating but I can see the allure - if you've failed up to now with a talented team, is one more year really going to make the difference? It's easy to just assume that the people in charge don't have what it takes to win it all (and that's often true). Fans get sick and tired of being disappointed as well.

What I do think has to happen with teams that want to blow it up is not necessarily blowing up the players but the organization around them. There's more than enough mediocre coaches, GMs, scouts, etc. in the league to go around (My personal hot take is that about 70% of coaches in the NFL are mediocre or worse and that there are very few good coaches to be found). If you have a talented roster and yet you're consistently failing, something at the top stinks and it needs to be replaced immediately. "Blow it up" is self defeating, but I also don't have much patience for the BOBs of the world who are hanging onto their jobs due to nepotism.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Dumb answer.

32 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

And trading away all your good players solves that problem, right?

Nope but I'm a ravens fan and I want the Steelers to hit the reset button so sue me.

They should continue to be contenders until ben retires but he's 37 going on 38 he's got maybe 2-3 seasons left max, plus the injuries and elbow injury taking their toll he might not even have that. The Glory days are coming to an end barring a new franchise QB for the sticklers. 

It's too bad that a team essentially can't cut its losses early and just rebuild for the long term with trades and cutting of players. Dolphins got a lot of heat for what they did, even though it does make sense. In the NFL landscape though where a lot of parity is involved, you can't essentially tell your fanbase you're completely mailing the upcoming season in. Unless the owner is willing to sign off on it.

If you are asking what team should realistically try and tank to get Trevor Lawrence, the answer might still be Miami.

They have the ammo and could trade down multiple times this year to get more ammo for next year. Even then, they probably will win too many games. Flores had that team prepared and ready to play at the end of the season. They had some roster turnover but it does seem like they are headed in the right direction. 

The panthers have already started this process. Going to be a comprehensive overhaul in that building. Its 100% the answer to this thread. They are shifting gears

honorable mention: The falcons are paying a lot of money to a handful of aging players. Quinn is on the hotseat and the team really fought for him last year. They wont do the full tear down this year, maybe next offseason depending if Quinn stays or not. 

There are going to be a few bad teams next year that try their absolute best and still only win 2 games.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

What? The Patriots will be a playoff team regardless of Brady being there. 

The Steelers should trade away everyone? Who? They’re going to be fine once they get a Roethlisberger replacement. They don’t need to crash their whole roster to make that happen. 

The Browns have way too much young talent. Their HC last year was a moron that didn’t know how to utilize any of the talent. Why would they tear it apart right now?

Is this a troll post?

Dude, he's a Ravens fan. They love bashing the Browns whenever they get the chance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

What? The Patriots will be a playoff team regardless of Brady being there. 

The Steelers should trade away everyone? Who? They’re going to be fine once they get a Roethlisberger replacement. They don’t need to crash their whole roster to make that happen. 

The Browns have way too much young talent. Their HC last year was a moron that didn’t know how to utilize any of the talent. Why would they tear it apart right now?

Is this a troll post?

Patriots didn't make the playoffs last time Brady wasn't their QB for a full season.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

honorable mention: The falcons are paying a lot of money to a handful of aging players. Quinn is on the hotseat and the team really fought for him last year. They wont do the full tear down this year, maybe next offseason depending if Quinn stays or not. 

This is a good argument for why Quinn should have been fired in the first place. Why stick around with the "will he or won't he get fired" game with a coach? If you're not 100% convinced that your coach is the guy to take you to the Super Bowl, that coach needs to be canned. If you were considering firing your coach at some point, there was probably a good reason for that and you might as well fire him anyway. Spare me the "they played hard for him" card, if you (the players) love him so much, why did it take you being the worst team in the NFL for 8 weeks before you decided to show up? I can buy "they played hard for him" in the case of a guy like Flores because he's a first year coach. Dan's just finished year five, going on year six. He doesn't get to use that excuse.

Example: Falcons go 9-7, backdoor their way into a wildcard and miraculously make into the 2nd round where their lack of talent gets them completely exposed by an actual team (this is basically the best they could possibly do in 2020 - their schedule is insanely brutal). Well then you can argue that Quinn bought another year, but what if he has a 6-10 year following that? Do we just finally take him out back and get rid of him or continue to play this game of figuring out whether or not he'll be fired? At that point, you might as well just cut the crap and get rid of him and find the real long-term answer at head coach.

To my recollection, the Falcons have the highest paid offensive line in the NFL which contributes significantly to their current cap issues. They overpaid a bunch of 2nd string OL guys hoping to beef up the line in a desperate "win now" move. Obviously, it didn't work. Realistically speaking, the Falcons won't do a teardown until Matt Ryan retires (which will be... 2025? 2026? Who knows?). Otherwise the investments on offensive line just kind of go to waste.

Edited by Hukos

17 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

The Steelers/Patriots/Browns. 

You're nuts. 

Imo, Buccaneers. Outside of a few rookie pieces and maybe Godwin, this team has very little hope of actually consistently competing. They dont have a QB even if Winston stays. Maybe even especially if he does.

It's about time they tear it down, get draft capital and rebuild.