Laying the Smacketh Down - XFL Talk

wcblack34

Notice that we don't really have any thread to discuss. So, have you watched? If yes, what are your likes and dislikes? If no, what would it take to get you to tune in? What are they doing better than the AAF? Worse? What is XFL Version 2.0 doing better/worse than the original? 

Personally, I think the kickoff and extra point rules are brilliant and should absolutely be adopted by the NFL. The quality of play is obviously lower, but they have had some very competitive games. The in-game interviews are intriguing, but a bit awkward. All in all, I'll keep tuning in when I can, because I'd love for them to succeed.

I wish the AAF was still around.  That had a more direct connection to the NFL and seemed a lot more likely the NFL teams would put young players in that league to develop them.  Not sure they would do that with the XFL or not.  The NFL Europe was interesting because some guys were on NFL teams and were over their to develop, the NFL needs a league like that and not sure why they do not just make their own minor league.  

Is cool watching guys one remembers in college get another chance but probably will not pay close attention till the Playoffs come around.  

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Haven't watched...don't plan to watch...I have cut back on my sports watching all together...even the NFL. 

I haven’t yet watched an XFL game. Seems like there are some things the NFL should bring over, overall, having another option should be viewed as a good thing, even if the NFL will clearly dominate. The XFL can have a role as a league that can experiment with different rule changes and ideas to deliver its product and the NFL would be wise to adopt what works. The XFL should also be viewed as an option for those highly talented 18-20 year olds who just want to play football, make some money and get to the NFL. 

Its a struggle to even watch NFL games to be honest, unless the Vikes, Packers or Bears are playing. Forget the other sports leagues or college.

Edited by vikingsrule

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Haven't watched...don't plan to watch...I have cut back on my sports watching all together...even the NFL. 

I'll maybe watch when my life has slowed down a bit, right now with all the things I have to do around the house and the other things I want to do, I only watch Vikings games.  I rarely, if ever, even watch any other NFL games.  I still follow it all, I just don't spend the time to actually watch.  Agree with @vikingsrule, forget any other sports or college.  I used to love to watch college basketball, but I probably haven't watched a game in 10 years.  Now, I have no idea who is even good or not...I always assume it's Duke and Kansas and maybe UNC, but outside of that, no idea.    

As far as the XFL, I do believe they should start it a little later, like maybe right after the draft, when there's a dead time until training camp, but I imagine they do it now so some of those players may be able to make it into camp with a team.  But, either way, I'm probably not going to follow it, and definitely not watch it, until I know it's going to stick around.

Edited by swede700

I have watched several of the XFL games and enjoyed the product. I like the increased speed of play and would love to see the NFL adopt a shorter play clock. I also really like that the viewer gets to see the decision making process during replay reviews. In general, the increased transparency is fascinating.

I'll continue watching when it's convenient but given that I have no real affinity for a team or care about the outcome of the games it is easy to pry me away from watching the games.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2