Laying the Smacketh Down - XFL Talk

wcblack34

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Well, pro basketball and hockey shouldn't be played into June either, but they are.  

I agree...and their should be laws about this kind of thing!!!!  B|

Wow, I just found this thread. Cool. ^_^

I wish they had a team in the Cities, or at least the Upper Midwest. On the other hand, since they don't, I had more freedom to support each team and pick a favorite based on other factors.

I remember the original XFL and boy, was it bush-league. Just a weird mix of football and wrestling that was never going to make it. The new version feels very different. There's a lot less WWE-style coverage; less commercial delays and more focus on football. I like being able to watch every game and root for athletes who fell through the cracks in the NFL.

Check out some highlights from the "Texas throwdown" last weekend and tell me this league doesn't have potential.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Wow, I just found this thread. Cool. ^_^

I wish they had a team in the Cities, or at least the Upper Midwest. On the other hand, since they don't, I had more freedom to support each team and pick a favorite based on other factors.

I remember the original XFL and boy, was it bush-league. Just a weird mix of football and wrestling that was never going to make it. The new version feels very different. There's a lot less WWE-style coverage; less commercial delays and more focus on football. I like being able to watch every game and root for athletes who fell through the cracks in the NFL.

Check out some highlights from the "Texas throwdown" last weekend and tell me this league doesn't have potential.

I've enjoyed it a lot so far. If there was a team near me, I'd definitely check out a game or two!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

PJ Walker is going to start some games in the NFL. 

He's well on his way to being the first league MVP. I don't know if his style will translate to the NFL but I'll be shocked if they don't give him another chance. Originally Houston was planning to go with Connor Cook, who had more pro starting experience and the prototypical body, but P.J. turned so many heads in training camp they gave him the reins instead.

Edited by y*so*blu

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

He's well on his way to being the first league MVP. I don't know if his style will translate to the NFL but I'll be shocked if they don't give him another chance. Originally Houston was planning to go with Connor Cook, who had more pro starting experience and the prototypical body, but P.J. turned so many heads in training camp they gave him the reins instead.

It may take some team catering to his strengths and designing an offense around those, but he'll get a chance to prove he can do it. It's a bit like Doug Flutie many years ago: he didn't look like Dan Marino or Peyton Manning, but he could straight up play. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

It may take some team catering to his strengths and designing an offense around those, but he'll get a chance to prove he can do it. It's a bit like Doug Flutie many years ago: he didn't look like Dan Marino or Peyton Manning, but he could straight up play. 

And he was never really a full-time starter in the NFL, which is why Flutie ended up playing in both the USFL and the CFL....and he could drop-kick with the best of them.  

• Like 1

The upstart league released a statement confirming that it will suspend its season, as virtually all American sports organizations have in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. But the XFL also said it will return next year.

“Currently, the XFL will not be playing its regular season games,” the league’s statement said. “However, all players will be paid their base pay and benefits for the 2020 regular season. All XFL ticket holders will be issued refunds or credit towards future games. The XFL is committed to playing a full season in 2021 and future years.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/12/xfl-confirms-2020-season-is-suspended-says-it-will-return-in-2021/

The XFL is obviously doing well if they can afford to pay their players the remainder of their contract, and issue refunds to fans. 

But it’s going to be interesting for the XFL next year. Their players are now free to sign with NFL teams, and if the XFL loses its best players to the NFL, what kind of product will they have in 2021?

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The XFL is obviously doing well if they can afford to pay their players the remainder of their contract, and issue refunds to fans. 

But it’s going to be interesting for the XFL next year. Their players are now free to sign with NFL teams, and if the XFL loses its best players to the NFL, what kind of product will they have in 2021?

I’m sure new players will get a chance and new stars will be found. That should be the long term intention of the league anyway, knowing that the nfl is likely to grab most of the better players.

I hope the league doesn’t fold. They are doing some legitimately good things. The good news is that they know what was working, and what wasn’t. So maybe not having the operating expenses for the rest of this season will allow them to come out stronger next season. 

• Like 1

They've been an exciting league with a quality product so far. And they're still paying all their players what they would've received for the full season, which is very generous and could lead to quite a few of them coming back. Basically the polar opposite of what happened with the AAF when they ended their season early.

With five weeks of tape to build on, they're in great shape to develop their product and come back next year.

• Like 1