What does the term 'a number 1 wr' mean?

Kiwibrown

7 minutes ago, Elky said:

Controversial opinion: it's better to have a collection of #2's than a Amari Cooper/Julio Jones/Megatron type #1.

I actually agree with this, despite my team having Julio. And I love Julio, I wouldn't trade him unless the offer was insane.

But I think having a deep WR group is more important than having an elite WR. Having a weak #3 is something that can be exploited (double #1, double #2, play press on #3 and hope the pass rush gets home before #3 beats the press, etc.). This is why I value the Aldrick Robinsons, Taylor Gabriels, Marvin Halls of the world a lot, even though they're just #3 and they physically can't play outside they present matchup issues vs. press coverage (if you don't hit on your jam, you've basically given up a 20+ yard completion if the opposing QB has an arm).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Controversial opinion: it's better to have a collection of #2's than a Amari Cooper/Julio Jones/Megatron type #1.

Fully agree. Give me 2 true #2’s all day. 

A #1 and #2 is extremely rare and usually a waste of resources. 

There is also maybe 12 #1’s at most any given year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elky said:

It depends on the WRs behind the elite WR.

Id rather have a collection of 2s than one elite WR and several bums....but an elite WR with a solid number 2 and 3 is better than several number 2s.   An elite WR can make the WRs around him better.

It depends on the QB and really the offensive system. The Niners don’t have a true number one receiver. They do have an elite tight end in Kittle and a great offensive playcaller in Shanny who can scheme open guys to make them look better than what they really are.

The Patriots don’t have a true number one but they have an all-time great QB in Brady and another brilliant offensive playcaller in McDaniels. We know when the Pats did have a true number one receiver that was Moss they were literally unstoppable aside from the Superbowl against the Giants and that team saw them twice and had an elite defensive line with a great defensive playcaller in Spags.

So for me I’d take a true number one receiver any day because if you just need a guy to make a play or just take over a game when nothing else is working then two number two’s won’t do it. Give me Julio, Megatron, Holt, a prime Fitzgerald because they will raise the level of play from the QB position if you don’t have a Brady or Peyton. If you are playing Keenum at QB you can’t have two number twos and expect to be highly successful. His time in Denver was a perfect example. Sanders at this stage is a number two and Sutton at this stage is a number two at best. Keenum wasn’t even close to successful with that like he was in Minnesota when he had a true number one in Diggs and even Thielen. True number one receivers will also make life easier for the other skill position players and if the offensive playcaller isn’t great that elite receiver will bail out that playcaller from calling a bad play or just having a bad game plan in general. 

Edited by stl4life07