What does the term 'a number 1 wr' mean?

Kiwibrown

To me this term doesnt describe just a singular type of player.

It could be defined as a guy that requires double and triple coverage allowing other options to be open.

It could also be described in a similar light as a guy who finds a way to get open and make high plays despite the coverage he sees.

Elite WRs are typically #1 WRs.

I agree with those that have suggested that having a bunch of #2s can sometimes be better than having a #1 WR but as others have said in think that is even more dependent on quality QB play.

This prompted me to look up most total yards in 2019. So, here goes...

Top 10 in receiving yards in 2019 (+TDs):

1. Michael Thomas: 1725 yards, 9TD

2. Julio Jones: 1394 yards, 6TD

3. Chris Godwin: 1333 yards, 9TD

4. Travis Kelce: 1229 yards (suck that, Kittle), 5TD

5. DeVante Parker: 1202 yards, 9TD

6. Keenan Allen: 1199 yards, 6TD

7. Kenny Golladay: 1190 yards, 11TD

8. Amari Cooper: 1189 yards, 8TD

9. D.J. Moore: 1175 yards, 4TD

10. Jarvis Landry: 1174 yards, 6TD

11 hours ago, Hukos said:

I actually agree with this, despite my team having Julio. And I love Julio, I wouldn't trade him unless the offer was insane.

But I think having a deep WR group is more important than having an elite WR. Having a weak #3 is something that can be exploited (double #1, double #2, play press on #3 and hope the pass rush gets home before #3 beats the press, etc.). This is why I value the Aldrick Robinsons, Taylor Gabriels, Marvin Halls of the world a lot, even though they're just #3 and they physically can't play outside they present matchup issues vs. press coverage (if you don't hit on your jam, you've basically given up a 20+ yard completion if the opposing QB has an arm).

If you would’ve given us Julio we would’ve sent Taylor Gabriel your way 

• Like 1

Need top end production, Need to be able to run good portion of, if not the entire, route tree. Need to be able to consistently win on the outside. You really cannot take away a Julio Jones, Thomas, Hopkins when they’re lining up at SE unless you have a top notch CB. Even w/ all the safety help in the world, those guys can still abuse lesser corners. Those 3 + OBJ (if he returns to form/assume 2019 was fluke), Adams, Cooper, Evans, Hill and maybe a few other guys slipping my mind, those are who I’d considered current “#1” WRs. 

The most vague answer would be the #1 receiver on a team.

With that said...

Baseline stats to jumpstart putting a number on this, per season:

-Go for at least 1,000+ yards

-Minimum of 65 receptions

-Receive 100+ targets

-Minimum 5 TD's

Feel free to adjust, add to, or otherwise chime in.

15 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

A true #1 WR can be double teamed and still make plays/be effective/put up a stat line more often than not.  That's my definition.  

Very subjective and almost unrealistic.  

There's exceptions like Julio Jones or Randy Moss, but the majority of #1 wideouts who are double teamed don't get near the touches of the opposite side or the slot for the very reason that they're running in double coverage.  

But, just because they still can't make plays in double coverage doesn't mean that they're not the #1 receiving option on their team by any means.