What does the term 'a number 1 wr' mean?

Kiwibrown

Shocked no one has mentioned this yet, but most of the time fans or the media are talking about the prototypical "X" receiver, or a big body WR that can make contested catches and is built to play the X position. The best recent examples would be Julio Jones, Amari Cooper and Odell Beckham Jr.

Edited by Nozizaki

8 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Would you rather have the Falcons WR group or the Rams? That's essentially the question that is being asked as far as top end talent versus depth is concerned.

Meh, not really because the Falcons actually have a #2 in Ridley. 

9 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Rams have had 3 #2 WRs for a few years now.

Although I think Kupp is emerging as a #1

Would you rather have the Falcons WR group or the Rams? That's essentially the question that is being asked as far as top end talent versus depth is concerned.

Honestly, I think Josh Reynolds could emerge as a number 2 option if he got more playtime, as well. That's not even mentioning Lil Baby Gronk or Young Gerald, who both are, at the very least, on their way to becoming viable second receiving options.

23 hours ago, Elky said:

Controversial opinion: it's better to have a collection of #2's than a Amari Cooper/Julio Jones/Megatron type #1.

I’d rather have Tyreek Hill and a bunch of JAGs honestly.

edit: But it all depends on the QB your team got.

Edited by Chiefer

15 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Shocked no one has mentioned this yet, but most of the time fans or the media are talking about the prototypical "X" receiver, or a big body WR that can make contested catches and is built to play the X position. The best recent examples would be Julio Jones, Amari Cooper and Odell Beckham Jr.

Amari cooper doesnt make contested catches does he? Im not sure OBJ is a master of ot either, those two seem to be experts at getting open rsther than fighting for the ball. 

To me, it means that guy who draws the top attention every week without question.  The guy who faces double-teams week after week, and still posts those "top of the league" type numbers.  The go-to guy in any situation...not just someone who compiles a bunch of yardage in specialized roles.  It's the guy you go to on 3rd and 1, or 2nd and 25.  Inside, outside, deep or short...anywhere on the field.  Not every team has one of these guys.  Most don't.

Edited by Tugboat

By my definition... A number one receiver is reliably and consistently able to be beat single coverage (or zone), requiring extra attention to stop or slow him down. 

Size doesn’t matter. Speed doesn’t matter. Positioning in the formation doesn’t matter. 

Preferably, you’d like to see a receiver who can threaten everywhere (short, intermediate, deep), and play everywhere (X, Y, Z), but that isn’t a requirement in the right scheme.

On 2/25/2020 at 2:12 AM, Malfatron said:

The Packers have a very large collection of WRs that are all huge number 2s.

Huh?  You consider Lazard, MVS, Geronimo Allison, Kumerow and St. Brown #2s?  IMO we have Adams, a couple of #3s and the rest belong on ST and that's why most folks are saying WR is a position we are going to upgrade early via the draft and/or FA.

Edited by Pugger

12 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Huh?  You consider Lazard, MVS, Geronimo Allison, Kumerow and St. Brown #2s?  IMO we have Adams, a couple of #3s and the rest belong on ST and that's why most folks are saying WR is a position we are going to upgrade early via the draft and/or FA.

I think Lazard made a good case for himself in the final third of the season.

i'd say a #1 receiver is one who has enough talent to either give you consistent production despite the defense's efforts or forces the defense to sell out to stop you. i also agree that having three #2 receivers is better than having a #1 receiver and a couple #3 receivers, especially when you factor in what a #1 receiver makes.

10 hours ago, Pugger said:

If that was a joke then Malatron shouldn't quit his day job.

a lot of people did get his joke though and appreciated it...