So far, Run Defense is Much Improved

turtle28

In the small sample size of two games, the Redskins have given up an average of 75 yards per game. That ranks ninth in the NFL. In 2016, they gave up an average of 119.8 per game, 24th in the league. Looking at yards per carry, the average this year is 3.3 (13th) compared to 4.5 last year (27th).

RELATED: FIVE OBSERVATIONS ON THE REDSKINS’ WIN

The Redskins made some personnel changes in their front seven to try to correct the run-stopping issues. Three new defensive linemen, top draft pick Jonathan Allen and free agents Stacy McGee and Terrell McClain, have help solidify the line along with vastly improved play by second-year player Matt Ioannidis.

The main change at linebacker was the addition of free agent Zach Brown, who has 15 tackles and covers the field from sideline to sideline. Holdover Mason Foster has continued his solid play from last year with 11 tackles.

MORE REDSKINS: REDSKINS VS. RAMS BY THE NUMBERS

Yesterday, another big factor in the Redskins’ ability to slow down the Rams’ rushing attack was the aforementioned success the offense had on the ground. That helped the Redskins build a time of possession advantage of 36:19 to 23:41 for the Rams. Washington ran 68 offensive plays and the home team just 49.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

Let's come back to this in two weeks time after we face Marshawn Lynch and Kareem Hunt.

I'd venture to say Todd Gurley is more talented then both Lynch & Hunt but I have no problem seeing what transpires in future weeks. Hence the "it may be a small sample size" line from Rich Tandler. ;)

Just now, turtle28 said:

I'd venture to say Todd Gurley is more talented then both Lynch & Hunt but I have no problem seeing what transpires in future weeks. Hence the "it may be a small sample size" line from Rich Tandler. ;)

Hunt is a beast and on no planet is Todd Gurley better than Beast Mode. Gurley is pretty much a bust at this point. 

You

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Hunt is a beast and on no planet is Todd Gurley better than Beast Mode. Gurley is pretty much a bust at this point. 

You throw around the bust word way too much, it doesn't fit almost every time you use it. I'm talking about natural talent, "I said he's more talented than them" and he is. Gurley's problem is he plays for the Rams and their OL is grow average.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You

You throw around the bust word way too much, it doesn't fit almost every time you use it. I'm talking about natural talent, "I said he's more talented than them" and he is. Gurley's problem is he plays for the Rams and their OL is grow average.

I don't agree with you that he's more talented than Marshawn Lynch nor do I agree that he has more natural talent than Lynch. And yes I do think he's a bust. He's a top 10 pick who can't rush for 100 yards. It's pathetic. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don't agree with you that he's more talented than Marshawn Lynch nor do I agree that he has more natural talent than Lynch. And yes I do think he's a bust. He's a top 10 pick who can't rush for 100 yards. It's pathetic. 

I guess you never watched him when he got good blocking like Lynch always does. There's a reason why one guy was taken 10th despite coming off a torn Acl and he was a heisman front runner before his knee injury and the other two weren't! You can think whatever you want but anyone who knows anything knows a running back can't go anywhere if their blockers suck infront of them. Case and point, Kelley & Thompson in week 2 vs week 1.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I guess you never watched him when he got good blocking like Lynch always does. There's a reason why one guy was taken 10th despite coming off a torn Acl and he was a heisman front runner before his knee injury and the other two weren't! You can think whatever you want but anyone who knows anything knows a running back can't go anywhere if their blockers suck infront of them. Case and point, Kelley & Thompson in week 2 vs week 1.

Lynch was taken 12th lol. 

Anyway, if you're taken with a top 10 pick and can't get 100 yards anymore it's not just because of your OL. He hasn't been good. I know your thing is defending crappy players but Gurley is not as talented as beast mode. 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Lynch was taken 12th lol. 

Anyway, if you're taken with a top 10 pick and can't get 100 yards anymore it's not just because of your OL. He hasn't been good. I know your thing is defending crappy players but Gurley is not as talented as beast mode. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/toddgurley/2552475/gamelogs?season=2015

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Everybody knows what Gurley did his rookie year. He had string of good games and then basically did nothing after that. That's been the case now for almost two full years. I have no idea what you're trying to defend? 

All I said was he has pure talent, you're the one who wants to argue he doesn't and that he's already a bust. If you didn't just want to disagree with everything I ever said, this wouldn't be an issue but, you are making it one for no good reason.

Archived