Pace and Nagy Press Conference

WindyCity

Nobody asked about Floyd's contract?

Interesting, but not surprising that they are 'committed' to Mitch in 2020, but won't pick up his option.

Basically 2020 or bust for him.  He is in a similar situation to one Fuller was in.  Play good and get rich or play bad and disappear.

I think Bears could be an awesome opportunity for a middling QB to try to turn his career around.  Odds are MT gets hurt at some point or plays bad enough to get benched since its a make or break year.   They aren't just going to leave him in there past mid season if he is playing poorly.

• Like 3

'Likes WRs in draft'

Good thing we spent all these draft picks on WRs last two years then.

WR is a position that is largely made by the QB and RB is a position that is largely made by OL.

You have a great QB and a great OL and I guarantee you people think your RB and at least one WR is good regardless of who they are.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think Bears could be an awesome opportunity for a middling QB to try to turn his career around.  Odds are MT gets hurt at some point or plays bad enough to get benched since its a make or break year.   They aren't just going to leave him in there past mid season if he is playing poorly.

Not specific to you beyond that you posted it this time, but it continues to interest me that people see Chicago as a place where a middling QB can come and potentially jumpstart their career in 2020, but don’t see Mitch as a middling QB who can jumpstart his career here in 2020. What makes it any more likely to happen for Mariota or Dalton or any of the other resurrection candidates? It’s not like any of them have more natural ability than Mitch does. I expect that we’ll bring in one of those types of guys as our QB2 but if Chicago is a good situation for a potential career resurrection for any of them it’s just as good a situation for that with Mitch too. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

'Likes WRs in draft'

Good thing we spent all these draft picks on WRs last two years then.

There’s no value in Pace dismissing anything at this point. Even if he has no intention of drafting a WR he shouldn’t refute potential interest. Being unpredictable to the other teams in the draft has clear value. 

Also FWIW Mahomes threw for 5k yards in 2018 and they already had Hill, Watkins and Kelce but the Chiefs still spent a 2 on Mecole Hardman. Can’t have too much talent there, and Miller/Ridley/Wims haven’t exactly set the world on fire thus far. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2

Coulda put this in the "What Is Truth" as well but it fits here too.  This is a partial on his comments about Mitch some of which Windy already highlighted above.

Now, here is what Ryan Pace is not saying. Pace is not saying what type of competition he wants to see brought in. Will he truly bring in an Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater type free agent, or should we be prepared to see at best a Case Keenum?

What else is not being said is how Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson‘s fifth-year options are not even in the Chiefs and Texans’ plans. Instead, these two are talking about an extension. If Ryan Pace was to mention an extension for Trubisky right now he would be run out of town.

Pace is making it known he supports Trubisky, but behind the scenes, I would not be surprised if he is working with Matt Nagy to come up with an insurance plan to save their jobs in case Trubisky falls on his face again. Pace has proven he does not show his cards and likes to bluff over and over again. What outcome will the Chicago Bears be dealt with how Pace plays his hand this offseason?

IMHO the bottom line is we're not gonna know what the deal is until the deal has been made and announced.  For now it makes sense to keep Mitch believing he'll still be the #1 guy in 2020 by avoiding talk about any specific QB or level of QB.  Between now and whenever something gets done we'll read or hear all kinds of rumors of which 99% will be no more than Pace kicking tires and pricing various trade options in addition to talking contract prices with agents.  It's QB shopping season for now and may be 'til after March 18th.

Edited by soulman

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Interesting, but not surprising that they are 'committed' to Mitch in 2020, but won't pick up his option.

Basically 2020 or bust for him.  He is in a similar situation to one Fuller was in.  Play good and get rich or play bad and disappear.

I missed it, but apparently he avoided anything on Floyd.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

That should be the attraction to someone who sees a shot at taking over as a starter but is willing to accept a role as a #2 until it happens.  I don't see any of the top prospects looking for that deal but for guys like Dalton or Mariota who've already lost their starting gigs this is a shot at getting one back.

I'm not surprised Pace tabled any talk about Mitch's 5th year option.  He doesn't need to address that 'til May and a lot could happen between now and then including a new CBA wholly changing the terms of all 5th year options.  Might as well know what you're in for before deciding what to do about it.

As for Floyd I think all questions have been asked and answered at least to the degree Pace will answer them.  If he's in negotiation with Floyd's agent on an extension that would lower his cap cost why say more about it now.  I would also not discount the possibility that Pace may shop him this week just to see what someone might give for him in trade.

Edited by soulman

From what we've seen historically since he's been GM of the Bears, Pace is never going to show his hand. 

Right now technically speaking Mitch is the only QB they have under contract so it'd be foolish to say anything otherwise.

Saying he will wait to see when talking about Mitch's 5th year option and wanting competition at all positions, tells me that they will be bringing in someone as insurance who's not named Chase Daniel.

• Like 1

And THAT is all we truly know at the moment.  The rest is all just speculation and given Pace's success, or lack thereof, selecting QB talent we should wonder just whose gonna have the final say on this.  It seems to me there's little sense in bringing in coaches like Lazor and "Flip" who along with Nagy have tons of experience working with various QBs and not allowing them to be the deciding factor.  But will he?

Edited by soulman

I don't think any of this comes as a surprise. I would love to know the battle that Nagy and Pace are fighting over with Mitch. If Mitch doesn't play significantly better in 2020 I can see a pretty large internal fight.

I assume we get a QB like Case Keenum to be our backup and potentially starter down the line.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I don't think any of this comes as a surprise. I would love to know the battle that Nagy and Pace are fighting over with Mitch. If Mitch doesn't play significantly better in 2020 I can see a pretty large internal fight.

I assume we get a QB like Case Keenum to be our backup and potentially starter down the line.

I’m not sure there is a battle. Pace drafted Mitch and Nagy was brought in to max him out. Both reeeeeeally need him to come through this year for their long term futures. I’d frankly be surprised if the discussion at least at this juncture was anything other than “Who’s the best fit to be the #2 in case Mitch doesn’t take the step?” 

• Like 2

Raiders’ GM Mike Mayock on Derek Carr: "Derek played at a high level last season. I'm very happy with Derek. But as I've said before, we will evaluate every position on our roster and if there's a chance to upgrade, we will look into that."

Why can we not get something like this from Pace? Mayock is talking about a much better QB than Mitch and is able to admit that they will explore options.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Raiders’ GM Mike Mayock on Derek Carr: "Derek played at a high level last season. I'm very happy with Derek. But as I've said before, we will evaluate every position on our roster and if there's a chance to upgrade, we will look into that."

Why can we not get something like this from Pace? Mayock is talking about a much better QB than Mitch and is able to admit that they will explore options.

I've thought that the whole time. People say there's nothing wrong with what he said today and back in January, but what is so hard about what Mayock did?

• Like 1