Pace and Nagy Press Conference

WindyCity

23 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I've thought that the whole time. People say there's nothing wrong with what he said today and back in January, but what is so hard about what Mayock did?

I just do not think you need to be slobbering in your commitment to him.

Nothing he says makes me think that is a guy they are serious about replacing.

26 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I've thought that the whole time. People say there's nothing wrong with what he said today and back in January, but what is so hard about what Mayock did?

Well for one Mayock is his own man and operates differently, so we cannot compare him to Pace.

Also Mayock has no emotional investment or ties to Derek Carr since he came in as GM long after he was drafted.

Mitch is Pace's own handpicked guy so he is going to have his back until the end.

I know a lot of people hate it, but I admire Pace for still publicly supporting his guy.  Now that doesn't necessarily mean that behind the scenes they are not looking at other options.  We'll just have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

'Likes WRs in draft'

Good thing we spent all these draft picks on WRs last two years then.

WR is a position that is largely made by the QB and RB is a position that is largely made by OL.

You have a great QB and a great OL and I guarantee you people think your RB and at least one WR is good regardless of who they are.

I agree with this for the most part but look at Green Bay. They had Donald Driver and spent a 2nd on Jordy. Had Jordy, spent 2s on Cobb and Davante. They never stopped loading up on talent by spending early picks... Now they have Davante and nobody else, even with having Arod. They spent some 4s a few years ago and got St. Brown (who I liked) and MVS and they're pretty disappointing so far, although they have ability.

I don't mind Pace spending the early picks on receiver, but it has to be either an extremely accomplished, smooth route runner or an absolute freak athlete burner. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Raiders’ GM Mike Mayock on Derek Carr: "Derek played at a high level last season. I'm very happy with Derek. But as I've said before, we will evaluate every position on our roster and if there's a chance to upgrade, we will look into that."

Why can we not get something like this from Pace? Mayock is talking about a much better QB than Mitch and is able to admit that they will explore options.

I would prefer this language over what Pace is saying. I just think Pace fell in love with this hard working milk ape and it's going to cost us next year.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not sure there is a battle. Pace drafted Mitch and Nagy was brought in to max him out. Both reeeeeeally need him to come through this year for their long term futures. I’d frankly be surprised if the discussion at least at this juncture was anything other than “Who’s the best fit to be the #2 in case Mitch doesn’t take the step?” 

Seems logical so far but if at mid season there's no longer any logic in riding the Trubisky train who that #2 is may make a major difference in whether we make the playoffs or have yet another 8-8 season in which case both Pace and Nagy should be on the hot seat.

NE developed a dynasty because Belicheat doesn't get emotionally wrapped up in players who aren't producing.  If you're no longer a fit for his needs or you can't produce in his schemes you'll be traded or released while you still have value if possible and they win consistently.

If Pace plans to mature into a top NFL GM he's gonna need to learn to cut his losses and be as crafty about doing it as NE has typically done and I don't see that in him yet.  I'm not screaming to "Ditch Mitch" but I also believe his time to show he has the wits and instincts of a top NFL QB are down to a handful of 60 minute games.  How much Nagy will be willing to change his schemes to fit Mitch is somewhat questionable so if he's not the right fit for this offense we need to move on from him soon and prepare another who is a fit.  JMHO

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, soulman said:

How much Nagy will be willing to change his schemes to fit Mitch is somewhat questionable so if he's not the right fit for this offense we need to move on from him soon and prepare another who is a fit.  JMHO

Mitch may not be a good fit for any NFL offense. At least as a starter. But yeah, I agree they need a solid plan B. Don't see that happening, though. They'll pick up Mariotta, 'cause the dearth of quarterbacks out there will bring his price down to Daniel levels. Or something will happen along those lines. They probably won't even consider drafting Gordon or Stanley. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, soulman said:

Seems logical so far but if at mid season there's no longer any logic in riding the Trubisky train so who that #2 is may make a major difference in whether we make the playoffs or have yet another 8-8 season in which case both Pace and Nagy should be on the hot seat.

The issue with this is, the guys we’d probably like most as that kind of #2 aren’t signing here without a commitment to a starting gig. Bridgewater, Cam and the HOFs are starting wherever they’re going to be. A trade for Carr and he’s starting. Beyond that we’re talking Mariota or Keenum. There are a lot of options... but not a lot of options that are likely to want to come here UNLESS we are willing to move beyond Mitch now. Doesn’t seem they are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The issue with this is, the guys we’d probably like most as that kind of #2 aren’t signing here without a commitment to a starting gig. Bridgewater, Cam and the HOFs are starting wherever they’re going to be. A trade for Carr and he’s starting. Beyond that we’re talking Mariota or Keenum. There are a lot of options... but not a lot of options that are likely to want to come here UNLESS we are willing to move beyond Mitch now. Doesn’t seem they are. 

Exactly what I've been saying since Jan.

If Bridgewater is willing to remain a #2 for #2 money why not stay in NOLA and wait for Brees to hang 'em up.  Trade for Carr and it buh bye Mitch.  Nothing Pace has said or done tells me that's even remotely possible unless Gruden wants Mitch and we simply swap QBs.  IMHO the list of available former starters who'd come to Chicago as a #2 believing they have a fair shot at becoming #1 is pretty short.

I think Dalton is a good possibility but will it be via trade or will Cincy release him and if so when?  If it isn't until after they secure Burrows will Pace wait that long?  Mariota seems most likely as a FA and with him there may be some upside to be had with better coaching and a change of scenery. Keenum?  Is he honestly any better than Daniel?  And even if he is does anyone see him winning a championship?

The trade for Mack makes it even more difficult to redraft a top QB so Mitch has become tattooed to Pace's backside and he may prove to be his biggest bad pick yet.  And the shame of it all is it's not that he lacks the physical skills it's his lack of what Jim McMahon had an overabundance of.  Guts and a will to win games his own way if he had to.  Mitch doesn't exhibit anywhere near that kind of confidence.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Raiders’ GM Mike Mayock on Derek Carr: "Derek played at a high level last season. I'm very happy with Derek. But as I've said before, we will evaluate every position on our roster and if there's a chance to upgrade, we will look into that."

Why can we not get something like this from Pace? Mayock is talking about a much better QB than Mitch and is able to admit that they will explore options.

I mean you DID get exactly that from Pace/Nagy today......

They aren't even looking at picking up his 5th year option until May.... AFTER FREE AGENCY AND THE DRAFT, when they also both said they need competition at every position, including QB.

They just aren't throwing Biscuit under the bus until they have any idea whether they can even get a viable alternative, as there's simply no reason or benefit to do so.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

I mean you DID get exactly that from Pace/Nagy today......

They aren't even looking at picking up his 5th year option until May.... AFTER FREE AGENCY AND THE DRAFT, when they also both said they need competition at every position, including QB.

They just aren't throwing Biscuit under the bus until they have any idea whether they can even get a viable alternative, as there's simply no reason or benefit to do so.

Agreed.  It's just semantics.  Different words from different people but basically saying the same thing.

Pace says he supports Mitch but that he needs to improve, Mitch knows this as well, and that Mitch will be seeing competition for the #1 spot this year.

Mayock says he's happy with Carr's play but they will evaluate their QB position along with others and upgrade whenever and wherever needed.

In truth Pace's comments should be seen as being more critical than Mayock's.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

Agreed.  It's just semantics.  Different words from different people but basically saying the same thing.

Pace says he supports Mitch but that he needs to improve, Mitch knows this as well, and that Mitch will be seeing competition for the #1 spot this year.

Mayock says he's happy with Carr's play but they will evaluate their QB position along with others and upgrade whenever and wherever needed.

In truth Pace's comments should be seen as being more critical than Mayock's.

Glad you and @Epyon heard it too... Pace literally said the same thing as Mayock - that the Bears will be looking at options at all positions.

These press conferences this week are all people trying to say as little as possible anyway, so they're hard to take too much from. One thing I got from Pace's though, when asked about Kwiatkoski he said how well he played and how it's been good to see him develop. When asked about Trevathan he talked about how big of a miss he was when injured, how much of a leader he is, how important he is to the defense. I'm grasping at the tiniest of tiny straws here, but he was definitely more emphatic in his praise for Trevathan than Kwiatkoski.

God, give me free agency already so we have actual news 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

Glad you and @Epyon heard it too... Pace literally said the same thing as Mayock - that the Bears will be looking at options at all positions.

These press conferences this week are all people trying to say as little as possible anyway, so they're hard to take too much from. One thing I got from Pace's though, when asked about Kwiatkoski he said how well he played and how it's been good to see him develop. When asked about Trevathan he talked about how big of a miss he was when injured, how much of a leader he is, how important he is to the defense. I'm grasping at the tiniest of tiny straws here, but he was definitely more emphatic in his praise for Trevathan than Kwiatkoski.

God, give me free agency already so we have actual news 

I will hope like hell that Pace could keep both Trevathan and Kwiatkoski.  If we have to let someone walk it would be Pierre-Louis and so far it seems that signing Devante Bond for ST was a hedge against just that.  We've also got Josh Woods and "Iggy" as ILB/ST.

If we have to make a choice between Trevathan and Kwiatkoski I gotta go with "Kwit".  He's three years younger, has no serious injury history, and should now be peaking as an NFL ILB whereas DT does have a significant injury history and at age 30 is either in or about to enter a decline. I would lock up "Kwit" for 3-4 years because he should be very affordable.  I would think somewhere around what Roquan Smith rookie deal pays him or a bit more might do it so say $5-$6 mil AAV with maybe $12 mil gtd over years one and two.

Trevathan got a 4yr/$28 mil deal when he signed and IMHO he's earned it despite his missed time.  He's definitely a defensive spark plug but he's also missed 18 games over four seasons.  Only in 2018 has he played all 16 games and prior to this he also missed almost and entire season here in Denver.  I'd like to see Pace make him a fair offer to stay for another couple of years and hopefully he would prefer to do that and possibly win another championship.  In this defense we really could use both of them for maximum vet depth.

I guess we'll find out soon enough and with Smith still on his rookie deal through 2021 both should be affordable for two years.

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not specific to you beyond that you posted it this time, but it continues to interest me that people see Chicago as a place where a middling QB can come and potentially jumpstart their career in 2020, but don’t see Mitch as a middling QB who can jumpstart his career here in 2020. What makes it any more likely to happen for Mariota or Dalton or any of the other resurrection candidates? It’s not like any of them have more natural ability than Mitch does. I expect that we’ll bring in one of those types of guys as our QB2 but if Chicago is a good situation for a potential career resurrection for any of them it’s just as good a situation for that with Mitch too. 

Your have to think of the mindset of a player looking for a place he can win or get a chance at a starting job.

If you are star HS QB you don’t want to go to a school with a star freshman QB.  

Right now Bears have a starter that is playing poorly that is near end of his contract.  There is opportunity there from someone else’s point of view.  

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They pretty much said exactly the same thing Windy. 

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not specific to you beyond that you posted it this time, but it continues to interest me that people see Chicago as a place where a middling QB can come and potentially jumpstart their career in 2020, but don’t see Mitch as a middling QB who can jumpstart his career here in 2020. What makes it any more likely to happen for Mariota or Dalton or any of the other resurrection candidates? It’s not like any of them have more natural ability than Mitch does. I expect that we’ll bring in one of those types of guys as our QB2 but if Chicago is a good situation for a potential career resurrection for any of them it’s just as good a situation for that with Mitch too. 

I think it's fair to say that it's at least equal if not slightly better for Mitch since he has more of an inside track.  Of course that can be a negative if you're trying to sell a FA on the prospects of coming to Chicago to do battle with Mitch.  Chances are you won't win it in camp or within the first 8 weeks of the season unless Mitch has a total collapse or is injured.  But IMHO anyone has a shot at it.  It's not locked up.