Pace and Nagy Press Conference

WindyCity

50 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

They pretty much said exactly the same thing Windy. 

We heard very different press conferences.

I heard someone globalize the offensive issues and idea of competition, support Mitch as the starter, and deflect criticism to other positions.

Please link you press conference so we can give it a listen.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I heard someone globalize the offensive issues and idea of competition, support Mitch as the starter, and deflect criticism to other positions.

No....we just interpret what we heard differently.  There's your way and there's another way as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pace acknowledged that Trubisky has to get a lot better.  What more do you want him to say without divulging his and Nagy's actual strategy for FA/the draft?

You know that it does nothing to reveal actual plans at this point in the offseason.

They pretty much summed up that all positions need to get better on offense, which they do, and that they will do everything they can to improve the pieces around the QB.  

Why is this so hard to take from people?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Pace acknowledged that Trubisky has to get a lot better.  What more do you want him to say without divulging his and Nagy's actual strategy for FA/the draft?

You know that it does nothing to reveal actual plans at this point in the offseason.

They pretty much summed up that all positions need to get better on offense, which they do, and that they will do everything they can to improve the pieces around the QB.  

Why is this so hard to take from people?

How fans perceive these statements is largely based on action.

The Bears have bordered on extreme in their protectiveness of Trubisky. The Raiders, meanwhile, have done nothing to dispel rumors that they want to move on from Carr. It stands to reason that fans will treat vague statements like, "We want to improve at all positions" differently given the difference in how they've publicly handled the rumors and criticism.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That's because you don't know how to read through other peoples BS. Fortunately for you I do. He said alot of things about Mitch while not even remotely close to committing to him. The major commitment is picking up his option. He tip toed around it in a similar manner to Mike Mayock just Mike did it much shorter. Apparently everyone else on here has no issue seeing that too. 

You just want to hear what you want to hear about Pace because your in meltdown mode and are going to be this entire offseason.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

How fans perceive these statements is largely based on action.

The Bears have bordered on extreme in their protectiveness of Trubisky. The Raiders, meanwhile, have done nothing to dispel rumors that they want to move on from Carr. It stands to reason that fans will treat vague statements like, "We want to improve at all positions" differently given the difference in how they've publicly handled the rumors and criticism.

Well I for one do not see any benefit in the team head figures publicly shaming the guy or criticizing his bad play, do you?  You don't think that Mitch already feels terrible enough from all the constant media and fan bashing and unfair comparisons to Watson/Mahomes?  I never liked the approach of calling out players in the media.  Teams need to and should do that behind closed doors.

Like I mentioned in another post above, Pace has an emotional investment to Trubisky more than a GM like Mayock has to Carr due to that being his draft pick, so it makes sense that he is going to continue to support him through the downs.  Again, that doesn't mean that they're not actively doing things behind the scenes to improve the QB play for the coming season.

People need to chill out lol.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

That's because you don't know how to read through other peoples BS. Fortunately for you I do. He said alot of things about Mitch while not even remotely close to committing to him. The major commitment is picking up his option. He tip toed around it in a similar manner to Mike Mayock just Mike did it much shorter. Apparently everyone else on here has no issue seeing that too. 

You just want to hear what you want to hear about Pace because your in meltdown mode and are going to be this entire offseason.

GM Ryan Pace was asked if he still had a commitment to Mitch Trubisky. "To be clear, yes it is," he said. "We believe in Mitch. Mitch knows he needs to be better. We need to be better around him. And that's our goal."

Ryan Pace reiterates that Mitch Trubisky is the Bears’ starter for 2020.

Ryan Pace is asked specifically if he’s willing to bring in competition for the starting QB job and says he wants competition at every position.

He continues to tell Bears fans the same thing, because hang with me, maybe just maybe the most likely scenario is that Mitch is the presumptive starter for 2020? Maybe Pace is not playing at the grand deception but preparing a fan base for the most likely scenario?

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Well I for one do not see any benefit in the team head figures publicly shaming the guy or criticizing his bad play, do you?  You don't think that Mitch already feels terrible enough from all the constant media and fan bashing and unfair comparisons to Watson/Mahomes?  I never liked the approach of calling out players in the media.  Teams need to and should do that behind closed doors.

Like I mentioned in another post above, Pace has an emotional investment to Trubisky more than a GM like Mayock has to Carr due to that being his draft pick, so it makes sense that he is going to continue to support him through the downs.  Again, that doesn't mean that they're not actively doing things behind the scenes to improve the QB play for the coming season.

People need to chill out lol.

There is a wide spectrum between calling him out, which no one is suggesting he needs to do, and the en-fanatic support that Pace is giving him.

Pace is either

1. Telling the truth

2. Lying through his teeth about how much he believes in Mitch

I think he is probably telling the truth.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

There is a wide spectrum between calling him out, which no one is suggesting he needs to do, and the en-fanatic support that Pace is giving him.

Pace is either

1. Telling the truth

2. Lying through his teeth about how much he believes in Mitch

I think he is probably telling the truth.

Well that's the beauty about this time of year isn't it..the whole deception game?

Whether Pace is telling the truth or lying through his teeth, the fact is that Mitchell Trubisky is currently the only Bears QB under contract for next season and is due a fully guaranteed $9M, so unless he gets traded for another QB, such as Derek Carr or Andy Dalton, then yes, he is the presumptive starter for 2020, and that shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone here.

• Like 1

Just now, topwop1 said:

Well that's the beauty about this time of year isn't it..the whole deception game?

Whether Pace is telling the truth or lying through his teeth, the fact is that Mitchell Trubisky is currently the only Bears QB under contract for next season and is due a fully guaranteed $9M, so unless he gets traded for another QB, such as Derek Carr or Andy Dalton, then yes, he is the presumptive starter for 2020, and that shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone here.

If you are actively trying to replace him, I would expect you to be a little less committal in your comments. Why the deception? Why the concern with Mitch's feelings?

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If you are actively trying to replace him, I would expect you to be a little less committal in your comments. Why the deception? Why the concern with Mitch's feelings?

Deception because maybe they don't want to let on to what they are thinking when it comes to upgrading the play at that position.  If they make it known they want to upgrade the QB spot over Mitch then it hurts their leverage in multiple ways, whether that is through FA, trade or the draft.

I trust that Pace and Nagy know more than we do when it comes to understanding what kind of play is required at the QB position for this team moving forward.  Do you?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Deception because maybe they don't want to let on to what they are thinking when it comes to upgrading the play at that position.  If they make it known they want to upgrade the QB spot over Mitch then it hurts their leverage in multiple ways, whether that is through FA, trade or the draft.

I trust that Pace and Nagy know more than we do when it comes to understanding what kind of play is required at the QB position for this team moving forward.  Do you?

I think the answer is no, we do NOT think Pace knows what kind of play is required at the QB position. Mitch was awful last year outside of a few games. I think people are forgetting how bad he was last season. Deception is a strategy that hasn't really helped him much. I think we're going to see more of Mitch next year with an upgraded line, weapons and coaching staff. 

I'm still baffled as to why anyone would expect anything a) definitive b) interesting c) true out of this sort of presser

There is no advantage whatsoever in giving out information on what your plans are, besides to "get better"

They say Mitch is the starter, well, yeah, he's the only possible starter right now.  If they say they're going to bring in someone to push him it both damages their relationship and gives away a tiny bit of leverage. Lets say Dalton, Carr, and Mariota have all signed somewhere and you're pushing around with Keenums agent, it's just one more piece they can throw back at you.  Let's say you say "Mitch is absolutely our guy, anyone we bring is NO 2. " Well let's say now you're trying to sign some TE to come here, and his agent says "he wants 1m more from you than teamX, since Mitch sucks"

Unless you're pulling some weird double feint nonsense and you're already Bill Bellichick, being anything but vague and vaguely positive is only detrimental. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think the answer is no, we do NOT think Pace knows what kind of play is required at the QB position. Mitch was awful last year outside of a few games. I think people are forgetting how bad he was last season. Deception is a strategy that hasn't really helped him much. I think we're going to see more of Mitch next year with an upgraded line, weapons and coaching staff. 

Whether it's helped him or not is another topic of discussion.

Reality is that NFL GM's do this all the time and we should not be surprised or taken to fully believe anything by what is said at this time of year.

And I meant that Pace and Nagy aren't dumb to not realize that the QB play needs to vastly improve.  I'm not talking about evaluating QB prospects.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

The people who are important know. You aren't keeping much secret from people in the business. Talking to the public is about narrative and PR, so I do not understand why they are not straddling this thing more.

I am not sure why anyone would trust Pace when it comes to QB?

Nagy I trust to know what QB he needs/wants, but acquiring that QB is an entirely different thing even more so when your GM has heavy ties to a QB already.