2020 Combine Thread

KC_Guy

Let's keep it together here.

Interviews:

The Walrus: He's a master of saying nothing with a lot of words. I skipped the second half.

Brett Veach:

Watkins: do want back, lots of different scenarios. Postseason was important.
Jones: Prio #1 this offseason. Talks at Indy.
Mahomes: Do have time. Talks as with Jones last year. My take: No urgency.
Moore/Henne: One of them will be back
Cornerbacks: With Ward and Fenton volume is low. Will address in Offseason.

In a lot of the mock drafting, a lot of us like that CB is a position that seems to naturally fall in the 25-35 area where we sit. However, that is liable to change this week, as some of the lesser known players move up boards and others slide. CB is a premium position, whereas our defense emphasizes safety and pass rush.

I am going to be looking at the DT numbers. This seems to be a really good class and our defense is built around the front four. Even if Chris Jones re-signs, this is an are that can use dome depth. There is no guarantee we can find a Mike Pennel on the street when we need him. Also, DE/DT tweeners work well in Spagnuolo's system. Getting a good one on day two or three would be choice. 

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

In a lot of the mock drafting, a lot of us like that CB is a position that seems to naturally fall in the 25-35 area where we sit. However, that is liable to change this week, as some of the lesser known players move up boards and others slide. CB is a premium position, whereas our defense emphasizes safety and pass rush.

I am going to be looking at the DT numbers. This seems to be a really good class and our defense is built around the front four. Even if Chris Jones re-signs, this is an are that can use dome depth. There is no guarantee we can find a Mike Pennel on the street when we need him. Also, DE/DT tweeners work well in Spagnuolo's system. Getting a good one on day two or three would be choice. 

J

If not CB, I really think Neville Gallimore or Zack Baun have a good chance to be our pick.

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

If not CB, I really think Neville Gallimore or Zack Baun have a good chance to be our pick.

I still think that is 15-20 picks too soon for Baun. Gallimore is a better fit. Blacklock at TCU is another DT. Some see him as a tweener, without the mass to anchor. Others see him as a Chris Jones type, now that we know what Chris Jones can do. We could also wait. This is a position that can slide a long ways. 

J

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I’d rather have Anthony McFarland

Wouldn’t he just be a better version of Darwin?   I think I’d rather get someone who can keep the chains moving.   We already have enough flash with this offense,  really could use someone who will do the dirty work. 

21 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Wouldn’t he just be a better version of Darwin?   I think I’d rather get someone who can keep the chains moving.   We already have enough flash with this offense,  really could use someone who will do the dirty work. 

He’s more Jamaal then Darwin. But yeah he’s real short. Doesn’t play short though. But damn 5’8? Think I’m back on the Moss train.

Zack Moss is solid, his pass blocking is great. I feel like Mahomes is a lot more confident when he knows his RBs can block. He’s got good vision too which is half Damien Williams problem.

Edited by Chiefer

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I agree with @Chiefer that McFarland is more Charles than Thompson. I wouldn't be mad if we took him if Moss was picked ahead of us.

For me though, I'm targeting Moss in the 2nd or 3rd.

Some weird things going on right now, most likely related to the ongoing CBA issues.

In normal years you would

• see some re-signings or vet extentions right now
  • have the compensatory picks out prior to the Combine
  • have the first franchise tags out

Well, the players won't complete a vote until next week. Thus teams  players/agents will hold back with any contractual agreements.
However, 12 March is the (adjusted) deadline to designate franchise players - and teams will have to get their plans in place before. Thus, I'm pretty sure, there is an internal deadline at which the League will decide to play the 2020 season under the current CBA. And that date will not be too far awy. End of next week would be my guess.

After that it's all up in the air and we will see a new attempt to get to a CBA next year.

Edited by KC_Guy

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Wouldn’t mind McFarland.   I don’t think he’s on Jamaal’s level though,  more Justice Hill.   Who’s a good player,  but i don’t think he adds much Damien and Darwin don’t already give us.  

I think he's a better runner than what we currently have. I doubt he'd be Jamaal level but he runs with a similar style just with less top end speed.