Combine/Pro Day Visits

mwalker

16 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Ideally they can kill 2 birds with stone.  Cush or Hennessy...etc could take over for Foster until Pouncey leaves.  But more depth would still be needed.

All depends if they keep 1 of Foster/Finley...or sign an ok cheap vet, I’d be amazed if they went into draft with such a glaring hole at LG unless they were gonna move Feiler there.

2020-compete to start at LG, IOL depth

2021-start somewhere

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

He is only 31, And he deserve the all of the criticism he has received. He, at this point is an average OT.  It's not just about sacks,  T struggles against above average pass rushers in it also had a ridiculous amount of penalties this season. He was also part of the problem in the running game 

Some Steeler fans wanna cut players after one bad game, and no offense, you overreact a lot during individual games, too.  Al has had his struggles, but relative to the rest of the league, he is solid.  

The OLine in 2019 wasnt good, but its hard to get a read on the unit considering how bad our QB play was and the injuries at RB.  That makes the OLs job much harder.

Bottom line...we need to look for AVs eventual replacement, but we have more pressing needs.

• Like 2

Another factor is the cap is rumored to jump big time in 2021 compared to the 2020 level.

It might actually make decent sense to franchise or transition tag AL since he’s gonna be 32...a long term deal probably doesn’t make a lot of sense unless they’re all about available cap space for the remaining Ben years.

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Ideally they can kill 2 birds with stone.  Cush or Hennessy...etc could take over for Foster until Pouncey leaves.  But more depth would still be needed.

Ruiz  could do the same.  The Centers in this draft are very deep

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Some Steeler fans wanna cut players after one bad game, and no offense, you overreact a lot during individual games, too.  Al has had his struggles, but relative to the rest of the league, he is solid.  

The OLine in 2019 wasnt good, but its hard to get a read on the unit considering how bad our QB play was and the injuries at RB.  That makes the OLs job much harder.

Bottom line...we need to look for AVs eventual replacement, but we have more pressing needs.

I agree overall with your assessment. Having said that if we were to take 2 OL, I wouldnt be upset. In not saying we need to get rid of him right now.

We have a hole at LG (or RT if they move Feiler over), they need to consider the future at C, and LT. I'm simply saying it should be on the table. Having said that, OL overall is a pressing need.

This is a terrible draft if you need an IOL, TE S, or EDGE imo. Not a great draft for LBs.

Excellent WR, RB, and OT class imo.

You dont take a player that is mediocre cuz he fills a need (Marcus Allen), you draft players who can make your team better. Imo.

• Like 1

Seeing KJ Hamler in a lot of fan mocks, and I couldnt think there could be a worse pick for us. 

As a PSU fan, I absolutely cannot wait to see KJ with an offensive coordinator that understands how to use him.....we are the furthest thing from that. Smurf deep threat isn't what we need either. JuJu is 6'1, Washington 5'11, and DJ 5'10. We need diversity in the WR room and while KJ is that from a speed perspective, we 1) wont use him correctly and 2) he doesnt really have a place to play in 3 man sets. 

It would take our second round pick, most likely, to get him. And I really do not think it worth it for him to the Steelers, despite the fact I think he will have a really strong career (with the Eagles, Chiefs, 49ers, Rams, or a number of other franchises with solid OCs). 

His production is fairly bland, though I do put a lot of that on OC and QB play. Maybe he would slip into the 3rd where we could find a move up to get him? But I wouldnt go there with our first pick. 

👔
19 hours ago, wwhickok said:

This is a terrible draft if you need an IOL, TE, S, or EDGE imo. Not a great draft for LBs.

I think C is a little more appealing, but I believe there is solid help on the interior of the OL at  G as well as C:

G Ben Bredeson Michigan           C/G Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin

G Shane Lemieux Oregon            C/G Lloyd Cushenberry LSU

G Letane Muti Fresno State        C/G  Ceasar Ruiz Michigan

G John Simpson Clemson          C/G Nick Harris Washington

G Damien Lewis LSU                   C/G Darryl Williams Mississippi State

I haven't even got to the Matt Hennessey's from Temple or Sam Pollard's from Clemson and still, there are others.  Seem to be a lot of quality and depth on the inside to choose from.  There is no Quentin Nelson of the group, but you have some players who will be very good pros and will improve some team's OL. 

Excellent WR, RB, and OT class imo.

One of the better drafts in terms of talent at various positions in my humble opinion. 

You don't take a player that is mediocre cuz he fills a need (Marcus Allen), you draft players who can make your team better. Imo.

I agree wholeheartedly with you here.  I don't think anyone is suggesting going mediocre player for need over a good player for need or even not as pressing a need. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BucShot said:

I'm picking for the Steelers in a mock, and the 2nd rounder is coming up. Both Akers and Dobbins are on the board at RB (Taylor/Swift are gone). 

Both guys would be nice complements to Connor, ya?

no.  What DTs are on the board?  Or  IOLS

21 minutes ago, BucShot said:

Wilson and Ruiz are the only IOLs off the board. Brown, Kinlaw, Epenesa and Blacklock are the only IDLs off the board.

Steelers are keeping Dupree so EDGE is not a need and RB is a luxury pick.  You could try to trade back but not out of the 2nd.  They are losing their NT and backup OG/C so those are the biggest needs.  I would look at Gallimore and Madubuike at IDL and Hennessy or Cushenberry at IOL.

They could also use a speed WR like Ruggs, Mims or Reagor but that might be able to wait.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Steelers are keeping Dupree so EDGE is not a need and RB is a luxury pick.  You could try to trade back but not out of the 2nd.  They are losing their NT and backup OG/C so those are the biggest needs.  I would look at Gallimore and Madubuike at IDL and Hennessy or Cushenberry at IOL.

They could also use a speed WR like Ruggs, Mims or Reagor but that might be able to wait.

Those WRs are off the board. I like Gallimore and Madubuike but neither are NTs. if they would fit, I could take em but right now Akers is the top guy on my board by quite a bit and think he would add a dynamic element to your backfield that went missing when Bell left.