Combine/Pro Day Visits

mwalker

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Conner is on the last year of his rookie deal, is making less than a million dollars, and is a fan favorite. There is legit no scenario where we would cut him. A little confused about this statement jebrick and I’m the biggest advocate for taking Akers/Dobbins in the 2nd.

Because of Conner's injury history, I doubt they will offer him another contract.  There is no reason to cut Sammels or Snell either.  Both are drafted rookies that are cheap.  Both have shown promise when they have had to fill in for the oft injured Conner.  The Steelers do not have the money to be cutting promising rookies.  The only way they will be drafting a RB is in the 2nd round.  Otherwise, why bother cutting a 3rd or 5th string RB for another later round RB when there are other needs.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Because of Conner's injury history, I doubt they will offer him another contract.  There is no reason to cut Sammels or Snell either.  Both are drafted rookies that are cheap.  Both have shown promise when they have had to fill in for the oft injured Conner.  The Steelers do not have the money to be cutting promising rookies.  The only way they will be drafting a RB is in the 2nd round.  Otherwise, why bother cutting a 3rd or 5th string RB for another later round RB when there are other needs.

Not offering him another contract is different than cutting him before the season. Snell won’t get cut because he showed promise and has only had one season, if anyone is getting cut it’s Samuels.

Agree about taking a RB in the 2nd though. We can’t get anything we don’t already have at RB with any of our later picks. Unless they try to draft a speedy/gadget Dri Archer type but hopefully they learned their lesson with that.

Edited by bigben07MVP

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Steelers were gonna head to Michigan after they visited Clemson...I’d say Ruiz and Uche are very possible picks at 49 if they’re available.

I'd be happy with either, but, if it was Uche, I'd have to think Bud is staying on a one year deal.

I also think Uche would be really interesting moving around, some inside too. Just my opinion, but I think he could do that.

I really like Ruiz.

I'm interested in the Cushenberry vs Ruiz comparison. From what I read Ruiz is more mauler, Cush is big, super intelligent
and reads defenses to organize the line.

39 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

They also like Hudson tho I'd assume not at #49. :o

I bring up the pro day visit cause of the history of the Steelers 1st pick...they were visited at their pro day by tomlin or Colbert...plus they heavily scout Michigan last year cause of the Bush and Gentry picks.

They probably feel like they got a good read on them .

1 minute ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I bring up the pro day visit cause of the history of the Steelers 1st pick...they were visited at their pro day by tomlin or Colbert...plus they heavily scout Michigan last year cause of the Bush and Gentry picks.

They probably feel like they got a good read on them .

I agree. To clarify, I wasn't discounting what you said.  I was just adding to it. Uche or Ruiz would be very good picks @ 49 imo. 

6 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I agree. To clarify, I wasn't discounting what you said.  I was just adding to it. Uche or Ruiz would be very good picks @ 49 imo. 

Oh I know.

Tomlinand Colbert don’t doa great job of hiding who they like. The Pro day thing applies to their 1st pick....they also like to use their 30 pre draft visits for a lot of their mid and late rd guys...even some udfa’s.

This year we don’t have that...gonna be very interesting.

I’m not a fan of Uche really. In my opinion his ceiling is a 3rd/rotational edge in the NFL which is not something I’d be happy spending a 2nd round pick on. I could live with it at #102 but I wouldn’t be thrilled. I wouldn’t be shocked if he slides on draft day.

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m not a fan of Uche really. In my opinion his ceiling is a 3rd/rotational edge in the NFL which is not something I’d be happy spending a 2nd round pick on. I could live with it at #102 but I wouldn’t be thrilled. I wouldn’t be shocked if he slides on draft day.

Disagree.  He has nice burst and a wicked bend.  Needs to be coached up.  

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Disagree.  He has nice burst and a wicked bend.  Needs to be coached up.  

I more or less agree with you then. He needs a lot of work though and I don’t like that he was never able to truly lock down the starting job/a true role at Michigan and he’s somewhat of a tweener. Could end up being a fine player if he lands in the right situation but just not worth #49 in my opinion. Agree to disagree.