Combine/Pro Day Visits

mwalker

22 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Al needs to be replaced within the next couple seasons imo

Debatable.  Depending on your definition of "a couple years" I guess.  He's only 31.  He's been catching a lot of criticism but he's as solid as they come.  Most LTs give up sacks.  He gave up 2 in 2019.  

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Debatable.  Depending on your definition of "a couple years" I guess.  He's only 31.  He's been catching a lot of criticism but he's as solid as they come.  Most LTs give up sacks.  He gave up 2 in 2019.  

31 is fairly old for an OLineman.  Al is solid, but LT is a hard position to replace.  Not our top priority, but we cant wait until Al is gone to look into replacing him.

At the very least, he should finish out with Ben's career.  

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

He is only 31, And he deserve the all of the criticism he has received. He, at this point is an average OT.  It's not just about sacks,  T struggles against above average pass rushers in it also had a ridiculous amount of penalties this season. He was also part of the problem in the running game 

15 hours ago, jebrick said:

Braun is NOT and EDGE player.  He is a 4-3 SLB  He has zero bend.

I honestly saw him as a more versatile ILB. Kind of like Anthony Barr. I think his versatility would be helpful. He can cover, stop the run, blitz. I wouldn't love the pick honestly. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Braun would be a luxury pick

I agree. I just see it as a possibility depending on who is available. I'm not sold on any TE there. I'd rather have a stud IOL, like Ruiz, a big, athletic WR, or a workhorse RB. That doesn't mean that a good one will be available. Baun could come in and transition to a hyper athletic BUCK/EDGE player. That would be really beneficial to our defense that relies on smaller fast guys. Imagine all the fun we could have with Baun, Watt, and Bush. 

👔
4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

He is only 31, And he deserves all of the criticism he has received.

I agree that Al has not had a great year and I am sure that not having Big Ben or Coach Munchak may have had an effect as well. As I have said in other threads, Big Ben made a lot of the OL calls. Big Al did struggle at times, but I believe that his wost game was against the Browns.  Miles Garrett definitely got the better of him in that game (both from rushing the QB and stuffing the run). Al did not get the same push in the rushing attack and didn't have one of his better years.  However, it was not all Al.  Not making an excuse for him, but he is a competitor and fighter.  I expect him to bounce back.  Your grade is fair, but I think Al and many of the so-called "underperformers on offense" will bounce back with a healthy Big Ben. 

He, at this point is an average OT. 

I agree that he had an average 2019 season, but I think that he is overall better than average. He isn't Joe Thomas, but he is not table scraps either.

It's not just about sacks,  T struggles against above-average pass rushers in it also had a ridiculous amount of penalties this season.

Let's be honest here, most tackles struggle against the above-average competition.  Teams just lined up to stuff the Steelers offense with no consistent threat of a verticle game.  The OL was certainly not "Cowher Ball" level, where you could put 8 or 9 guys in the box and the OL would still knock you back.  DeCastro and Feiler where the most consistent starting OL's in 2019.  I think BJ Finney did a good job in run blocking filling in for Pouncey and Foster.  I don't think they are finding a LT who can replace him in 2020.  With the team's other needs, unless there is a huge drop from LT, you stick to your board and draft then draft need.  I am more concerned with NG, Safety depth and IOL than LT.

He was also part of the problem in the running game 

Agreed, but I think he will also be a big part of the solution for the OL in 2020.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

He is only 31, And he deserve the all of the criticism he has received. He, at this point is an average OT.  It's not just about sacks,  T struggles against above average pass rushers in it also had a ridiculous amount of penalties this season. He was also part of the problem in the running game 

I'm sorry but this is a terrible assessment.  His "ridiculous amount of penalties" was 10 which ranked 13th for NFL OTs.  I understand it isn't just about sacks.  Aside from your opinion on his Run Blocking (which I disagree with as well) it is your stance that while he only gave up 2 sacks, he must have given up so much more pressure then 15 other OTs that he is now just an average player?  That doesn't make sense to me.  To be clear, I'm not against drafting an OT at some point now or in the next few years.  But it is your type of post that I was talking about.  Al graded out as the 2nd best OL (Al 74/Feiler 75) on the roster on an OL that ranked #9 overall in the League (according to PFF).  All of this achieved while blocking for a QB not named Ben for almost all of the Season and a collection of RBs not named Connor for a good part of it.  Al is solid and not the problem  If you're looking for average OL play in 2019 look no further then Foster and Pouncey.  But again, I take that with a grain of salt given that their play was greatly affected by QBs not named Ben and average/below average  RBs.

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

31 is fairly old for an OLineman.  Al is solid, but LT is a hard position to replace.  Not our top priority, but we cant wait until Al is gone to look into replacing him.

At the very least, he should finish out with Ben's career.  

I don't disagree with any of this. 

5 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I think overall AV is solid...the more pertinent question is whether he stays after the 2020 season...he’s a FA.

They don’t have a LT on the roster behind him(Chuks is debatable)...

Chuks is an enigma.  Really not sure what we have their.  Gray is listed as an OT which is strange to me but who knows.  If they can somehow swing signing Feiler and even Banner they're fine imo. But that is a big IF.  

• Like 1

The Steelers generally are looking at next year's expiring contracts.  I could see them picking up a OT if a good one falls to them.  I can more easily see them getting a C/IOL or two in the draft.

Give me Ruiz. I'm not sure I've been this excited about an interior O-linemen since Decastro. Maybe because I never pay attention to O-line because we've had a good one for so long. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Give me Ruiz. I'm not sure I've been this excited about an interior O-linemen since Decastro. Maybe because I never pay attention to O-line because we've had a good one for so long. 

Mentioned it before but in case you missed it...He's the cousin of my Co-worker.  He speaks highly of him.  Not sure he makes it out of the 1st Rd let alone to #49. 

The Steelers generally are looking at next year's expiring contracts.  I could see them picking up a OT if a good one falls to them.  I can more easily see them getting a C/IOL or two in the draft.

Ideally they can kill 2 birds with stone.  Cush or Hennessy...etc could take over for Foster until Pouncey leaves.  But more depth would still be needed.

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 2