2020 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting S

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting safety spot opposite Harry?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting safety spot opposite Harry?

• Re-sign Anthony Harris
    • Re-sign Andrew Sendejo
    • Re-sign Jayron Kearse
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting safety
    • Restructure Rhodes' contract and move him to S (Wild-card option, since there is no one to promote)
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Next up, the starting safety opposite Harry...

2019 depth at the position:  Anthony Harris, Andrew Sendejo, Jayron Kearse

2020 Outgoing Free Agents: All 3 of them

Potential Free Agents Available: HaHa Clinton-Dix, Clayton Geathers, Damarious Randall, Von Bell

Potential Draftees:  Antoine Winfield, Jr, Kyle Dugger, Julian Blackmon, Grant Delpit

Now we know that there isn't a lot of money to spend in the free agent market, but what should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

I agree, Harris should be the priority here. However, I can see a case being made to let him walk given his age and general ability to find talent at that spot in Zimmer’s defense. Still would rather not have turnover At Safety because we should anticipate the CB group to have a lot of turnover.

I selected "other" because I can't come up with an answer to this without more information. To specify what I mean by selecting "Other", what I mean is this: it depends.

What it depends on his how much it would take to sign the various options. If everything was equal I would go with Anthony Harris. However, we know that everything is not equal and the Vikings are in a bit of a salary crunch. If Harris' value is $12M per year I would be looking for a more affordable option. Sendejo for vet minimum would look pretty good next to Harris for that price.

• Like 1

Resign Harris he's a playmaker and safeties value in FA has taken a dip. There's still a great chance he won't command as much because of age and position. If you can't resign him then the next option is drafting ( Not in the 1st rd). Of all our needs Safety is one the Vikings shouldn't invest a 1st in.  Krease is gone, Sendejo is a liability in coverage.

Edited by dc_vikingfan

I think the priority signing in free agency has to be Harris...and draft a safety in the 3rd or 4th round. I think I would stay away from all the other free agents available at safety.

Safety is probably like RB on offense, just seems to be so lowly valued the past five years. Would love to keep a secondary player that can generate 4-6 takeaways per year, we certainly don’t have that player on the roster who can do that without Harris and who knows when Smith drops off.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think the priority signing in free agency has to be Harris...and draft a safety in the 3rd or 4th round. I think I would stay away from all the other free agents available at safety.

Why draft one in the 3rd/4th if you've re-signed Harris? Are you thinking replacement for Harrison Smith? Otherwise I'd say keep drafting them in the 6th and 7th rounds.

I'd love to keep Harris, but Mike Zimmer is a defensive wizard and we also have an All-Pro safety in Harrison Smith who could work with a young safety, so I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a safety to replace Harris.  Then we could use that money in other areas.  A lot of it will depend on what happens in free agency and how the draft falls in the end.  If we draft a safety, just make sure he's a ball hawk.  It was sure nice seeing Harris pick off some passes last year.  We haven't had that for a long time in our secondary outside of Harry.

Edited by Uncle Buck