2020 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting S

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting safety spot opposite Harry?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting safety spot opposite Harry?

• Re-sign Anthony Harris
    • Re-sign Andrew Sendejo
    • Re-sign Jayron Kearse
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting safety
    • Restructure Rhodes' contract and move him to S (Wild-card option, since there is no one to promote)
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

On 2/29/2020 at 12:01 PM, Virginia Viking said:

I really don't want Sendejo in the defensive backfield.  His style of play is to take more chances then his skill set and athleticism allow for.  He's going to make more bad decisions then good ones. 

Last season, he seemed to have actually gotten away from doing it nearly as much as he used to.  It seems, in his older age, he's beginning to play smarter.  I would have no problem bringing him back for the minimum.  

Edited by swede700

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I bet people around here wouldn’t be nearly as high on Winfield if he wasn’t the son of a fan favorite Viking, or wasn’t a Gopher. 

Good player, but I wouldn’t look at him in the top 50. 

I didn't watch a ton from him, but he looked like a fine CB/S to me. I think top 50 is fair.

I'm hoping he drops to round 3 though!

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I bet people around here wouldn’t be nearly as high on Winfield if he wasn’t the son of a fan favorite Viking, or wasn’t a Gopher. 

Good player, but I wouldn’t look at him in the top 50. 

If he wasn’t a Gopher or Winfield’s kid, would there even be chatter of taking a Safety this early? Based on Zimmer’s history, it seems a big talking point would be that he doesn’t need to invest heavily in the position, especiallly with Smith still back there. Further, given the Vikes track record at Safety (drafting taller players) why would they suddenly take a short Safety?

Given Zimmer's comments on Harris I can't imagine they'd spend high draft capital on a safety. I voted for re-sign Harris before those comments were made and if the price is reasonable I stand by that, however, I think Harris will land a nice payday elsewhere. 

I think now we'll need to re-sign Sendejo (not much more than vet minimum) and draft a safety to compete with him for the starting spot. 

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Given Zimmer's comments on Harris I can't imagine they'd spend high draft capital on a safety. I voted for re-sign Harris before those comments were made and if the price is reasonable I stand by that, however, I think Harris will land a nice payday elsewhere. 

I think now we'll need to re-sign Sendejo (not much more than vet minimum) and draft a safety to compete with him for the starting spot. 

Not seeing the Vikes making much moves to clear cap space, so I expect Harris to walk in favor of Griffen. The secondary is going to look completely different with Waynes, Rhodes, Harris and Alexander all likely gone. 

Forget about safety for a second, Emmanuel Moseley just signed for one year at around $585,000 dollars?  

He is absolutely a starting quality CB that can play nickle or boundary CB.  And we did not sign him for more money than that little amount why?

4 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Sendejo or some late round rookie is fine with me. We've had the position manned for almost 10 years with undrafted rookies or free agents. Not an important position in this defense.

I don't remember who the safety was before Sendejo but since him they've always had a couple years to learn the ropes before taking over