Week 3 GDT: Seahawks (1-1) at Titans (1-1)

titans0021

Last thing before I hit the hay. I actually think this was one of Mariota's better game of his career. Numerous times in his young career, we've seen Mariota struggle against great, playoff defenses. It looked like it was heading that direction this game after the first quarter.

Well after that first quarter, he responded with great pocket presence, timely scrambles and some well thrown throws. He also made the Seahawks jump offsides multiple times this game. And what was most important, he didn't have that critical turnover that has plagued him at times in his career when playing a quality opponent. Was he perfect? No, but he was far better than whatever grade PFF gave him.

Outstanding win for the Titans. They took down one of the most unlikeable teams in the NFL and put everybody on notice. Rishard Matthews and Jonnu Smith looked great, and Murray's still got it. I wish you the best of luck against Houston next week.

41 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

Yeah I dont mind Richard running his mouth to everyone like he does. ITS FUNNY. BUT you don't mess with Marcus!!! 

Yeah, I've never really cared about the trash talking. They're grown men playing a game for a living, let them have fun. But going for a killshot on a quarterback that is two yards out of bounds is just absolute garbage. Thankfully Marcus was already falling when Sherman came in, so the other Seahawk took most of the hit, but Sherman pretty clearly had him lined up for a shot to the head. I can almost guarantee that Lewan of the past gets ejected there, so while I hated the offsetting penalties, I'm pretty happy that he didn't cross the line.

36 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Last thing before I hit the hay. I actually think this was one of Mariota's better game of his career.

Given the circumstances, absolutely. That's a great defense. He did exactly what the offense calls for him to do. Extended plays with his legs, moved around in and out of the pocket, and most important, almost always made the right decision. One forced pass could have really swung things in the second or early third quarter. He certainly wasn't perfect, but after a rough start he didn't let the mistakes pile up and really put it together. Took whatever the defense gave him, which were a lot of 5-10 yard passes.

Statistically, it's not one that's going to really stand out. But the performance is what we hope for from him. No mistakes, no costly turnovers, no bad sacks.

17 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah, I've never really cared about the trash talking. They're grown men playing a game for a living, let them have fun. But going for a killshot on a quarterback that is two yards out of bounds is just absolute garbage. Thankfully Marcus was already falling when Sherman came in, so the other Seahawk took most of the hit, but Sherman pretty clearly had him lined up for a shot to the head. I can almost guarantee that Lewan of the past gets ejected there, so well I hated the offsetting penalties, I'm pretty happy that he didn't cross the line.

Offsetting penalties is BS in and of itself. They expect the teammates of the guy who got cheapshotted to just stand around?

Way I see it is so long as the teammates don't throw a punch and leave it at words, you don't flag them. Wouldn't be in that situation if not for the penalty by Sherman so it really just bugs me all around.

Whatever I guess.

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Offsetting penalties is BS in and of itself. They expect the teammates of the guy who got cheapshotted to just stand around?

Way I see it is so long as the teammates don't throw a punch and leave it at words, you don't flag them. Wouldn't be in that situation if not for the penalty by Sherman so it really just bugs me all around.

Whatever I guess.

That's where I'm at. If things turn physical, okay, throw the flag on the retaliating team. But if there are matching personal fouls in the scuffle ensuing the original penalty, the original call should stand. There's absolutely no reason a guy should get a free, illegal shot at a quarterback simply because the quarterback's teammates took exception to the hit and responded verbally.

Thankfully, Marcus is alright so we can just talk about its ridiculousness. Man would I ever be fuming if Sherman had actually knocked him out for a couple games with that trash.

I know John McClain is well-respected around the league and known as one of the best team beat writers, but...

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Looking-ahead-to-Titans-12225072.php

1. Quote

If the Titans have a vulnerability, it's against the pass. Seahawks' quarterback Russell Wilson torched their secondary. They didn't get enough pressure on the elusive Wilson. If they have a problem with Wilson, imagine how much trouble they'll have trying to corral Watson.

Is that last sentence implying that Watson is a more difficult quarterback to take down than Russell Wilson? Because that's insanity.

There were concerns about Mularkey as a coach couldn't outdo some of the better ones in the league. In my opinion, the game was won solely on the playcalling yesterday and the team responding to the identity that Mularkey (along with Robinson, obviously) helped create and install. Still think he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for what this team has become.

Archived