Haskins Traded Like Rosen?

dll2000

9 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Why? 

I’m curious.

I like Haskins overall - he showed some flaws (in a flawed system) but he also showed promise. Can he be great? Probably not, but I could see him getting into that 10-15 range with a solid coaching staff working with him.

I'm also not very high on Tua staying healthy enough over the course of an NFL career - two ankle injuries, a knee injury, a quad injury and the hip injury at Alabama is pretty worrisome if I'm thinking about a 5-7 year commitment. Call it a hunch, but I think injuries will become very commonplace for Tua (i hope not, he's a very good QB). 

Don't overthink it at #2, pick Chase Young or trade down to a team that wants Tua.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I like Haskins overall - he showed some flaws (in a flawed system) but he also showed promise. Can he be great? Probably not, but I could see him getting into that 10-15 range with a solid coaching staff working with him.

I'm also not very high on Tua staying healthy enough over the course of an NFL career - two ankle injuries, a knee injury, a quad injury and the hip injury at Alabama is pretty worrisome if I'm thinking about a 5-7 year commitment. Call it a hunch, but I think injuries will become very commonplace for Tua (i hope not, he's a very good QB). 

Don't overthink it at #2, pick Chase Young or trade down to a team that wants Tua.

Agreed. That is what they should do.

It'd be stupid to do so.  When they took Haskins that high last year, it had to be on the understanding that he was an wildly inexperienced one-year wonder coming out of a gimmicky college offense.  He was an obvious "project" QB.  You don't take a project QB unless you're ready to commit to working on that project and developing them into something.  Whether he's a hit or miss in the end...you're just pissing in the wind if you give up on a project like that after one season.

Rosen was a kinda unique set of circumstances.  He was, unlike Haskins...coming out as a fairly experienced starter in various offenses through his college career, and generally seen as a lot more "pro ready".  When he didn't look ready in the NFL...it was more concerning, because he was supposed to be more prepared.  Then you had the coaching change that seemed largely predicated on the idea of uniting that new coach with his "ideal QB" prospect with that top pick.  That's not at all the situation the Redskins are in right now.  None of it really applies.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:19 AM, MWil23 said:

I believe that they are exploring all options and making a subtle last ditch effort to try and bait the Lions to trade up to #2 and draft Tua, thus getting them Chase Young at #3 instead of #2 and getting added picks out of it. 

While I'd be SHOCKED to see them trade back to #5 and not get Young, they'd almost be foolish to at least not consider it, as they're looking at a premier player and a nice cache of picks to boot.

IMO I'd rather have Isaiah Simmons, who is a tremendous talent as well/premier pick, and the following:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Pick #2 is worth 2600 and Pick #5 is worth 1700, so the likely outcome would be something like:

Redskins trade:

Pick #2

Redskins get:

Pick #5 (1700)

Pick #36 (700)

2021 3rd and 5th

That value chart goes out the window as it pertains to franchise style QBs with the hype Tua has.

16 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

That value chart goes out the window as it pertains to franchise style QBs with the hype Tua has.

Correct, but as I said, that starting baseline number is conservative, meaning that if I'm Washington, I seriously consider making that trade as I'm looking at an ELITE prospect at #5 and an instant D1 starter at a position of need, not to mention future ammunition and draft capital. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them trade back to #6, still get their guy, because San Diego wants to move up to #5 for Herbert.

Okay lets say Chase Young is a pro bowl level pass rusher for 4 of next 5 years.  One year he is down or hurt or something.   

Is that better than having a top 15 QB?

Is Haskins going to ever be a top 15 QB?  

is whoever they draft at 2 going to be a top 15 QB?  Lets say Tua.  People say Tua is next Drew Brees.  Obviously Drew Brees is worth more than Chase Young.  

But Tua is Tua, is he worth more than Chase Young and Haskins?  

If he wasn't hurt would there be this same discussion or would Washington be simply taking Burrows or Tua whoever fell?   How much of a factor is Tua's injury to you?  

If it was Mahomes in hindsight you would say heck yes, but you didn't have that certainty when he was coming out.  He was a Mike Leech system QB and everyone of those guys had failed to date - that was narrative.   

What if they trade down acquire a 1st rounder and still get their QB of choice, say Justin Herbert?  Does that change your mind?  

Props to Arizona for pulling off the band aid quickly with Rosen. Not every team is so bold. Furthermore, it seems like Haskins was a Dan Snyder pick. A billionaire with an ego like his is unlikely to admit he’s wrong after one season. 

28 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Props to Arizona for pulling off the band aid quickly with Rosen. Not every team is so bold. Furthermore, it seems like Haskins was a Dan Snyder pick. A billionaire with an ego like his is unlikely to admit he’s wrong after one season. 

I mean, is he wrong about Haskins? He got better as the year went on, and he's a player who I believe should have sat his rookie year.

The Redskins would be dumb to take Tua, IMO. Take Young or trade down in exchange for a massive haul. If Haskins is bad, then they'll likely be picking high enough next year for a QB.

51 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I mean, is he wrong about Haskins? He got better as the year went on, and he's a player who I believe should have sat his rookie year.

The Redskins would be dumb to take Tua, IMO. Take Young or trade down in exchange for a massive haul. If Haskins is bad, then they'll likely be picking high enough next year for a QB.

It's too early to say he's wrong. I'm just saying he's unlikely to admit he's wrong, even if he is wrong.

Personally, I'd trade down a few spots and try to land Herbert. I don't think Haskins has what it takes to be a consistent quarterback in this league. But that's just my opinion.

Ok boys ready to destroy me.

I don't see Young as a once in  a life time player.  I would never trade the farm to get him. The Lions would be fools if they traded up with some of the package mentioned. I look at this guy as Clowney, a great player however not a game changer. This kid is not even close to LT or DT.

I'm the Loins I just sit there and wait til they come to me. Than rob the fools that want there pick. Just a Ex.  Miami trades up with 2, 1st and a second and more. There is always some fool in the draft!

PS  Stop with the lowest sacks in the league. Matt Patrica defense philosophy could care less about sack. I should know, I'm a Pats fan who was always frustrated with Matt P defense. He would never blitz to save his life.

Matter of fact don't be shocked if the Lion want Simmons over Young. He fits MP defense style. Now I'm not saying this is what I would do. I want the pass rusher, but will MP.

Edited by m haynes