Texans release WR Jaelen Strong

ET80

4 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I think the kid needed to be replaced, but Rick couldn't swap him for a TE or DB or 7th round pick????

I think he cussed somebody out in a meeting and the team was like F this bum.

Wow.... major disappointment

I think we're about to get news of a pot related suspension for Strong. Only thing that really comes to mind. Given our depth at WR, releasing our #3 guy with no real plans to replace him is even dumber than what Rick Smith usually does...

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I hope its because of his character concerns because we wasted his talent bad. He was pretty decent when he got PT. Not even trolling when I say I blame O'Brien. What WR under the O'Brien regime has panned out?

Not trying to defend O'Brien here, but - what WRs has he had? Strong? Doghouse, lazy. Fuller? Hurt. Braxton? Hurt, plus he was a HUGE project with very little experience outside of QB.

One could argue that he developed Hopkins, given how he was the last Kubiak pickup. But I'm not going to. 

I actually put this on Smith. Remember, Seattle jumped us to pick Tyler Lockett ahead of the Strong pick. Falling asleep at the wheel...like Bridgewater.

Dimes to dollars, New England puts a waiver claim on him. They have a need for WR with so many walking wounded at the spot, and Belly no doubt wants to get information on things that changed between the joint practice and now.

Joke's on him - NOTHING CHANGED! Bahahahaha!

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Not trying to defend O'Brien here, but - what WRs has he had? Strong? Doghouse, lazy. Fuller? Hurt. Braxton? Hurt, plus he was a HUGE project with very little experience outside of QB.

One could argue that he developed Hopkins, given how he was the last Kubiak pickup. But I'm not going to. 

I actually put this on Smith. Remember, Seattle jumped us to pick Tyler Lockett ahead of the Strong pick. Falling asleep at the wheel...like Bridgewater.

Strong

Mumphery

Fuller

Miller

I honestly feel like his coaching the reason why Strong didn't pan out. Like I said when he was given a chance he was pretty decent. Not like we have anyone after Hopkins currently.  Fuller and Ellington is hurt.  I feel like O'Brien trying to set Watson up to fail.

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

Strong

Mumphery

Fuller

Miller

I honestly feel like his coaching the reason why Strong didn't pan out. Like I said when he was given a chance he was pretty decent. Not like we have anyone after Hopkins currently.  Fuller and Ellington is hurt.  I feel like O'Brien trying to set Watson up to fail.

Wasn't Mumps a Kubiak guy? 

Or wait, am I thinking of that other MSU WR? Yeah I think Mumps and Strong were in the same draft. Mumps was nothing special to begin with, but his release was completely justified, irrespective of how he developed or not (IIRC, he sexually assulted a woman on campus. Zero tolerance for that, IMO).

Fuller and Miller are incompletes at best. Right? 

Good riddance.  28 catches, 292 yards, 3 TDs in 3 years.  Pretty sure we wont miss his annual contribution of 10 catches, 100 yards, 1 td.  I mentioned during Thursday's game that the dude was rushing the punter on the punt return team which pretty insane usage of a WR for a team that suited up only 3 receivers.  Problem is that the guy did one thing well in college - catch hail mary's - and did one thing well in the NFL catch hail mary's.   I didn't like this guy from day one as he was all potential with substantial indicators that he did not have the character to ever actually work on developing anything.  Dude was over hyped in college based upon 4 verts sideline junk that doesn't work in the NFL, fabricated height (listed as 6' 4" was 6' 2"), and this flawed belief that he would have Amari Cooper if he had decent QB play (I actually remember seeing clips on this very site showing all the great out of bounds catches he made at ASU as if that translates). 

I generally DO NOT like Juco transfers anyway (see my Decoud hate) as it always means there is substantial baggage there that has scared programs away despite plus physical tools and for goodness sakes not being able get into Arizona State is the educational equivalent of getting turned down for membership into Sam's Club.  He checked all the boxes of the Cordarelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, and that Dwight Jones fool some Texan fans were drooling about back in 2012.  Running fast and jumping high makes for high school hero worship, Junior College attention, and gets some highlights in college, but the pro game is more Formula One than drag racing and the driver better have his machine tuned to perfection AND be able to handle strategy in the turns.  Strong showed up dumb, lazy, fat, and uncommitted on day 1 and rarely does that ever change, but most certainly NOT in the 4th season after a pot arrest. 

There is a reason the entire league is moving to the smaller reliable, Julian Edelman type receivers that can outsmart defenders in tight spaces, be trusted by their QBs (see Kupp, Thielen, Beasley, etc).  The vertical passing game is a complete anachronism at this point as it the percentages are awful, requires too much time in the pocket to throw, and pro cornerbacks and safeties so rarely get beaten deep by WRs who don't actually threaten with the entire route tree.  Heck, even the fastest WRs in the game (see Tyreek Hill) do their damage by getting the ball close to the line, THEN making people miss, not by running past them - then catching the ball.  All of this is pretty much moot because Jaelen Strong was always in such bad shape that he wasn't even a deep threat which made him a possession receiver with bad hands and rendered him useless on special teams which #4-#5WRs have to be able to contribute on.   

The real question is why the hell this guy wasn't cut two years ago when it was clear he had neither the skill or desire to do what it takes to be a pro QB.  My belief is that Rick was concerned about being further exposed for being a guy who simply executes a paint by numbers draft strategy where in the first 2 round practically every teams draft boards look the same aside from some variance for scheme and roster makeup.  The 3rd round is where true scouting and player evaluation start to show up and Rick's 3 3rd rounders in 2013 & 2014 could not even make it to week 4 of their rookie seasons and haven't sniffed the league since (Louis Nix, Brennan Williams, Sam Montgomery if you needed a painful reminder.) 

Honestly, it is starting to look like last years 3rd rounder, Braxton Miller, fits the same mold of all the other 3rd round mistakes as hyped college players that other teams ignored on draft day because of red flags they were smart enough to see.  It is still absolutely amazing to me that we drafted a guy as the 7th WR off the board (2nd WR taken after Saints #1 Michael Thomas) that caught 26 passes for 341 yards and 3 TDs in a full season as a college WR.  He was at best the 4th best WR on his own college team (Michael Thomas, Jalin Marshall, Curtis Samuel) that basically handed the ball to Ezekiel Elliott all season when JT Barrett wasn't keeping it himself and rode a defense with Joey Bosa in a 2-3 team Big 10.   The dude never caught 80 yards in a game and caught more than 2 passes in a game TWICE in his college career.  Sure Terrelle Pryor has put up a few good seasons of garbage time stats, but NOBODY drafted him in the 3rd round (supplemental) to be an NFL WR - he was dumped for a 7th round pick and sat around doing nothing for 2 years before he got a chance for an Ohio team going nowhere that took a flyer on an Ohio State star to replace Josh Cribbs. Edelman was a 7th round flyer who kept a spot returning kicks for 4 years before developing a rapport with Brady.  Armanti Edward and Isiah Stanback flopped with 2 years.  Mizzou QB Brad Smith hung around quite a few years running gadget plays and returning kicks for the Jets, but the Jets are to WRs what the Texans and Browns are to QBs. Antwan Randle El is the only other high water mark as a college QB to WR conversion and he was basically a returner who occasionally caught bombs on trick plays from high school QB Hines Ward.   

You know who drafts QB/WR conversions high in the draft - the friggin Jaguars with uber bust Matt Jones.  Braxton Miller was hyped by NFL draft amateur talking heads who do nothing but focus on QBs anyway while the professionals can see value of 3rd/4th prizes like Tyler Lockett, Jamison Crowder, Keenan Allen, TY Hilton, Eric Decker, Emmanuel Sanders.  Rick burns picks on throwaways like Miller, Posey, Martin and Mumphrey because he and his WR scouting dept remains convinced that drafting 4th option WRs from run oriented Big 10 schools makes sense because he couldn't cover them when he was a garbage safety at Purdue.

What in Bill O'Brien's resume said he'd come up with a way to creatively use someone like Braxton Miller aside from the Godsey Cecil Shorts double pass play that he set up by failing at it 15 times, but of course was taken out of the playbook once we had a QB playing WR?  What they saw in our abysmal WR corps last year that had them not dip into the free agent pool for at least 1 WR who actually knows how to play the position at the NFL level is beyond me.

Archived