Williams Asks for Extension or Trade

LoganF89

So reports coming out is that as far as medical issues go, Sounds like Trent Williams is ok with coming back but that he now wants a new contract or to be traded. Sounded like the skins kinda put the contract part on the back burner bc of other deals they are working on like Scherff, Kerrigan, and a possible Dunbar 

So what do we do? How much do you pay the guy? This I honestly believe will determine what we do in the draft. If Trent is back I think chase Young is 100% the pick. If not I think Young is 75% the pick. That we would trade out and fill the abundance of needs unless we get good compensation for Trent.

question is if he’s traded what’s the compensation?

5 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

So reports coming out is that as far as medical issues go, Sounds like Trent Williams is ok with coming back but that he now wants a new contract or to be traded. Sounded like the skins kinda put the contract part on the back burner bc of other deals they are working on like Scherff, Kerrigan, and a possible Dunbar 

So what do we do? How much do you pay the guy? This I honestly believe will determine what we do in the draft. If Trent is back I think chase Young is 100% the pick. If not I think Young is 75% the pick. That we would trade out and fill the abundance of needs unless we get good compensation for Trent.

question is if he’s traded what’s the compensation?

I moved this to a new thread. It's a more loaded question than just the draft thread can handle. 

• Like 1

Per Roto:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Trent Williams has informed the Redskins he either wants a new contract or to be traded.

Per Garafolo, the Redskins have pushed the situation to the "back-burner." Garafolo now believes a deal is quite possible. It jibes with a recent Washington Post report that the sides were haggling over "financial issues." Williams has at least been willing to speak to the Redskins since ex-GM Bruce Allen and the training staff were fired, but there is still a real chance he is playing elsewhere in 2020. A deal would make all the sense in the world for the rebuilding Redskins.

FREE AGENTS

I wonder if Jack Conklin can play LT?

Daryl Williams maybe? Had a down year but they had him playing all over the line

Costanzo? He’s 32 and had mentioned retirement

Peters? 38 years old. Maybe a 1 year?

Whitworth? (See peters)

Bulaga plays RT

Matt Feiler for the Steelers is a RFA but I wouldn’t give a pick to sign him

Beuachum is an average LT but he’s 31 and comes with injuries

Vaiti is a good swing tackle but mostly a RT

Gref Robinson is 27 but was horrible for the browns

Dennis Kelly filled in well for Lewan when he served his suspension. He’s 30 but could be affordable and possibly hold it down

FA I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN

Costonzo 2 year deal that’s reasonable

Daryl Williams (prove it deal)

Dennis Kelly (chance to start)

Beauchum 1 year deal

I would rather go LT in free agency then asking a 2nd or 3rd rounder to come in and start at LT, would honestly rather use a 2nd or 3rd on WR, S, CB, or LB

im thinking sign a guy like Daryl Williams, Kelly, or Beauchum, and take a guy in the 4th to potentially play LT in the future if a good prospect falls.

I think if traded Trent still lands us a 2nd and 4th at worst. Maybe a 2nd and future 3rd

Just pay him. We aren’t the patriots. This whole “let everyone go and replace them” thing has not worked for this franchise at all. We still haven’t replaced the production of Garçon and Jackson lol. He’s 32, he’s not 50. Give him a three year deal in line with the top tackles and move on to fixing other issues. 

• Like 1

If Josh Jones hadn’t blown up the damn Senior Bowl, he was the best option draft-wise. Now he’ll almost surely go too high for us to grab even with an early-ish 2nd. I don’t think there’s a good option for an instant starter outside of the top 25 picks or so. 

The FA market is a nightmare. Maybe one of these aging stars wants to be our 2020 Donald Penn, but otherwise? Kelvin Beachum is the best option? Yuck. 

I very much want Trent gone. Especially after this revelation that even after meeting with Rivera, he’s still demanding an extension without providing he’s still got it. He continues to want everything, while refusing to give anything. And the days of the Redskins bending over for players need to be over. The idea of just handing him a mega-extension, sight unseen, after all this mess makes me ill.

However, as I’ve said many times, I just don’t see the alternative. And trying to develop a young, inexperienced QB with no reliable blindside protector is a recipe for disaster. So I guess I’m begrudgingly saying let’s grab those ankles and hope it doesn’t hurt too bad. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't give Trent a damn penny...

In fact, I would trade his *** for Bengals rookie(last year but got hurt) LT Jonah Williams & a day 3 pick. 

It would give the Bengals & Burrow an experienced All Pro tackle, to protect Burrow.

It would give us a young potentially franchise LT to replace Trent. (But inexperienced & coming off a rookie season injury)

A day 3 pick, could be as high as A 4th rounder & low as a 7th.

Get Trent's drama *** off the team.

Edited by aceinthehouse

52 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This whole “let everyone go and replace them” thing has not worked for this franchise at all. We still haven’t replaced the production of Garçon and Jackson lol.

It’s true that we haven’t replaced their production (yet), but I don’t think this is a good case study to cite in arguing that we should pay Trent. 

Had we kept Garçon and Jackson, we would have shelled out more than $20M/year for the the pair — and gotten an average of less than 800 yards per season combined. They were no longer Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon, not as we knew them when they were here. The FO correctly determined that they were much closer to the end of their careers than to their primes.

They failed to effectively replace them, undoubtedly. But that doesn’t change the fact that letting them go and trying to replace them was a better choice than simply paying through the nose to keep them. 

Maybe Trent is still Trent. There’s plenty of reason for concern, though. And I totally agree that replacing him is going to be nearly impossible, so I feel like I’m coming down on your side of this thing. But I also do feel extremely uncomfortable giving big money to pay guys into their mid-30s. Especially guys I don’t trust. 

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s true that we haven’t replaced their production (yet), but I don’t think this is a good case study to cite in arguing that we should pay Trent. 

Had we kept Garçon and Jackson, we would have shelled out more than $20M/year for the the pair — and gotten an average of less than 800 yards per season combined. They were no longer Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon, not as we knew them when they were here. The FO correctly determined that they were much closer to the end of their careers than to their primes.

They failed to effectively replace them, undoubtedly. But that doesn’t change the fact that letting them go and trying to replace them was a better choice than simply paying through the nose to keep them. 

Maybe Trent is still Trent. There’s plenty of reason for concern, though. And I totally agree that replacing him is going to be nearly impossible, so I feel like I’m coming down on your side of this thing. But I also do feel extremely uncomfortable giving big money to pay guys into their mid-30s. Especially guys I don’t trust. 

I’d give him three years of $15M a year. I think that’s fair for both sides and then gives the team enough time to find and develop another tackle. 

Trent and his agent definitely would be responsible for finding a team willing to offer him a new deal and give the Skins at least a high 2nd round pick at this point. 

He's still under contract with the Skins for this season, so sitting out wouldn't be in His best interest. This would be 2 year's in a row he has sat out. Who's gonna offer him a 15 million next year if he was to sit out again this up coming season? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I wouldn't give Trent a damn penny...

In fact, I would trade his *** for Bengals rookie(last year but got hurt) LT Jonah Williams & a day 3 pick. 

It would give the Bengals & Burrow an experienced All Pro tackle, to protect Burrow.

It would give us a young potentially franchise LT to replace Trent. (But inexperienced & coming off a rookie season injury)

A day 3 pick, could be as high as A 4th rounder & low as a 7th.

Get Trent's drama *** off the team.

Not gonna lie, I usually see your trade proposals and think what the heck is this guy smoking but I would be down for something like that. But... if Jonah Williams is a potential franchise left tackle then why do you trade him for a franchise LT that’s closer to the end of his career than beginning? 

If Cincy doesn’t like Jonah then why would we? And why for a player (Trent) that’s gonna get paid nearly 4 times more a season at 15 mil? Bc he’s proven maybe?

i would do the trade but don’t see Cincy doing that unless they give up on Jonah, but like I said if they give up on him why would we think he can replace trent